Trip report: Barefoot Cay, Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi NorthO,

Thanks for the review! I also live in Montreal and was just checking out Barefoot Cay
2 days ago and you've answered a lot of questions I had.
Just wondering if you've ever done any other diving vacations in which you had a better experience/liked more.
I'm looking to go away in February with my boyfriend and just looking for some ideas.

We've been diving in Cozumel (twice) (which if you haven't been is a must, there are some really cheap deals from Mtl) , Okanawa Islands Japan, Great Barrier Australia, Julien Rocks Australia, and Whitehouse Jamaica where we learnt to dive (very beginner diving in Whitehouse).

Thanks, take care. -Nunya

Nice report, thanks for posting!
When we were at CCV a few years ago, we did a "ride by" between dives and asked our DM about it. He said it was a nice place but they only do 2-3 dives per day, not a place for people who want more diving, plus it is right at the shipping lane and tons of fishing and cargo boats are going by in the channel day and night. It didn't appeal to us at all for those reasons.

For the sand flies: Cactus Juice: Prickly Pear Skin Care for Naturally Healthy Skin
We used this stuff for a whole week and only got a couple of bites. Other people we saw who didn't use any protection got numerous bites each day. Cactus Juice smells really nice too and has SPF in it, so dual purpose. It doesn't work as good against the mosquitos at night though, DEET is about all that will stop those bad boys! Luckily I only saw 2-3 mosquitos all week!

robin:D

Yeah, the resort is right beside a shipping lane. Maybe there are times where it can be bothering, but during our stay it was really quiet. I've read report from 2-3 years ago on tripadvisor where they said there was quite a lot of noise though... Maybe they made some changes in the last few years!

About the sandflies, I must confess I didn't use much DEET... At first when I saw the bites they were just small red spots and I didn't feel anything so I said to myself it's not that bad, but damn, after 4-5 days it really starts to itch a lot!!! :shocked2:

Hi NorthO,

Thanks for the review! I also live in Montreal and was just checking out Barefoot Cay
2 days ago and you've answered a lot of questions I had.
Just wondering if you've ever done any other diving vacations in which you had a better experience/liked more.
I'm looking to go away in February with my boyfriend and just looking for some ideas.

We've been diving in Cozumel (twice) (which if you haven't been is a must, there are some really cheap deals from Mtl) , Okanawa Islands Japan, Great Barrier Australia, Julien Rocks Australia, and Whitehouse Jamaica where we learnt to dive (very beginner diving in Whitehouse).

Thanks, take care. -Nunya

Hi Nunya!

We went on the spirit of freedom on the GBR in 2009, we really liked it, but it's really different. My GF like fish, I love macro life so I loved Roatan more the she did. Poor Knights Island in NZ was awesome but cold, Cuba and Mexico are highly variable depending on where you are and which dive op you choose. Never been to Coz though, I can't say. From what I've heard, if you want good viz like Coz, you won't find it in Roatan. Diving is a bit similar to San Andres (Columbia) in term of current, viz and temp, but with healthier reefs and better macro life.

But we'll definitely go back soon, and Cozumel is also on our bucket list... But next are the Galapagos!

Back
Top Bottom