Trip report: Belize Aggressor III, June 4-11, 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gangrel441

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok...taken me a while to collect my thoughts and put this together, and this is probably a work in progress, so here goes...

BA III - 6/4 - 6-11

Gangrel and Mrs. Gangrel were 2 of 10 passengers from Chicago. 5 additional passengers from around the country and 2 from France were also on the boat.

Crew was as follows: Jay, Captain; Dan, Engineer; Caroline, Photographer; Raul, Dive Instructor; Anna, Housekeeper; Lourdes, Chef.

Day 1

Flight was uneventful, airport was about what I would expect from other trips to the Carribean.

We arrived at the dock at around 3 pm. All but two passengers had already arrived, the last two scheduled to land around 4. Two passengers had baggage misdirected, and a few tense hours passed waiting for it to arrive. When the final two passengers arrived at the dock, so did the missing bags. Catastrophe avoided!

The boat, as many of you already know, is beautiful! This was the first liveaboard trip for the Mrs. and myself. If the experience was bad for Michelle (Mrs. Gangrel), this would also be the last.

Dinner served as we leave Belize City for Lighthouse Reef. The journey took about 5 hours, and we were rocking and rolling the whole way. No one on board got seasick (that we know of), but lots of Dramamine used by all.

Day 2

I love waking up early in the Carribean and reminding myself that I am really here.

First site was Dos Cocos. Two morning dives. It's been almost a year since we dove in the tropics, and that was on the Pacific side of Costa Rica. Entering the water here, it is a delight to once again have 100 - 150 ft vis. Copuous amounts of hard and soft corals and sponges are also a welcome change. Took some pics of giant stovepipe and azure vase sponges, and tried my hand at shooting some neon gobies on coral heads. We have shot with our Coolpix 4300 before, but since our last trip, we have upgraded our strobe from a Sea & Sea YS-25 to a YS-90. Difference was pretty clear.

Second site was Cathedral. Two afternoon dives. For anyone who hasn't dove Cathedral, it is named because the coral heads form some enormous chambers before the wall which make you feel like you have entered a church. It is amazing to come back over the crest of the wall only to find yourself in a room surrounded with coral, sponges, and tons of critters. Note: The dusk dive was one of the most fun dives we have had to date. Throughout the week, we kept joking about "rush hour", as Blue Tangs passed us by the hundreds swimming down the wall in unison, and equal numbers of squirrel fish and bigeyes swam past us towards the reef. Having never dove a liveaboard before, we have done plenty of morning and afternoon dives, and a good share of night dives, but dusk was something new for us...

Cathedral night dive. Michelle and I have specialties in Reef Fish ID and Reef Creature ID, so we generally know what critters are when we see them, but there are so many that we have never seen before! Giant Hermit Crabs and Flamingo Tongues come to mind... Good chance for us to play with the camera at night and to test our ID abilities.

Day 3

Morning dives: Half Moon Wall. The wall was pretty, and we took a few pictures which looked like they were from Sleepy Hollow, but most of the fun at this site lay on the sand flats and turtle grass. We had our first experience with Tile Fish here, saw some of the largest hermit crabs we have ever seen, and got some first hand observation time with shadowing behavior. It seemed every hogfish on this site had a jack shadowing him. Read about it, understand the concept, but this was the first time we observed it.

Afternoon Dives: Painted Wall. We were informed that Painted Tunicates are abundant on this site in the 50-80 ft range. We didn't see any on the first dive, but we were cruising the wall on our own and probably didn't know how to find them. Wall was quite beautiful, and teeming with life. Our second dive was our certification dive for Underwater Photographer, and our instructor took us to 75 ft and pointed out some tunicates. Michelle had the camera rig at this point, and took a great shot. Several other shots on this dive also payed off. Rush hour occurred on this dive once again, and keept us laughing for a good while.

Night Dive: Painted Wall. Tarpon were out in force. Captain Jay found us a squadron of Carribean Reef Squid. Knew what they were, once again first time seeing them. One of our fellow passengers, another instructor and videographer, spotted a baby squid, about an inch long, behaving pretty oddly, "bouncing" head to foot on the sand. This behavior stumped all of us, so someday maybe we will find out what that was all about.

(to be continued...)

Day 4

Morning Dive: Blue Hole. I have heard many times before that the Blue Hole is much more exciting when you are planning to dive it than it is when you actually dive it. I have to agree, though it was cool to do it once. We maxed out at 135 ft. for 8 minutes, stopped at 60 ft. for 5 min., then came to 20 ft. for 5 min., and 10 ft. for 3 min. Deepest dive Michelle and I have done, and deepest I really intend to go in the forseable future.The fringing reef was pretty nice during the safety stops, with lots of Pedersen's Cleaning Shrimp and Banded Coral Shrimp. Also the first time Michelle and I had seen Corkscrew Anemone. Too bad we didn't have the camera with us, as we discovered a small crack in the housing on the hinge. It was outside the O-ring, and as it turned out, we dove the housing safely for a few more days, but we didn't want to risk it on such a deep dive.

We spent the rest of the morning offgassing on Half Moon Caye. Got some great pictures of Boobie Birds and Friggate Birds, a giant termite nest, a couple of Spiny Tail Iguanas, and some nice shots of the Lighthouse. We are told that hurricane damage has left the old lighthouse on its last legs. That is quite a shame, but I am glad we got to see it and photograph it.

Afternoon Dives: Chain Reef. Prior to diving, Michelle and I had discussed with Captain Jay that we would like to complete the requirements for Master Scuba Diver. Those requirements, for those not versed in it, are Open Water Diver, AOW, Rescue, five diving specialties, and 50 dives logged. We surpassed 50 dives on this trip, and as of completion of Underwater Photographer the previous day, we had 4 specialties, though one of those is a non-diving specialty and probably won't count towards MSD. After some discussion and guidance from Jay, we decided to complete U/W Navigator (a skill we would both like to have mastered) and Boat Diver (a gimme, but we would like to finish this before Michelle has to take her "start a family" break, if you get my drift :wink: ). Our first dive at this site was our Compass Navigation dive. While navigating, we encountered a Loggerhead Turtle, but the nav portion of this dive kept us from doing too much exploring and observing on the reef. Dive 2 was our playtime. We once again got to see the rush hour, photographed some Indigo Hamlets, and found a pair of very friendly Gray Angelfish which practically posed for a photo session for Michelle.

The night dive was at Eel Town, but Michelle and I couldn't drag ourselves off the couch for that dive, and decided to take the night off. A shame, since we heard that it was probably the best night dive of the trip. But such is life.

Day 5

Morning Dives: Long Caye Ridge. We gave Jay a hard time about this sight, due to a little mishap on a previous tour which we were informed about by divers who were there :D . All joking aside, we go some great shots of Squirrel Fish tucked into the reef, the school of Jacks and Chubs under the boat, enormous Giant Barrel Sponges, Tile Fish, and one Yellow Headed Jaw Fish.

Afternoon Dives: Silver Caves. Michelle found a Peacock Flounder on the bottom practicing not being seen. I moved in with the camera and snapped some close-ups, then gently nudged his fins to move him for a better shot. Caroline (videographer) saw us interacting with the Flounder, and moved in with the camera, getting some great footage for the trip video, and thanked us in the boat later for finding the little guy. More sponges, more coral, more shirmp...it is all getting to be a blur...

Night Dive: Sliver Caves. Several divers were in the water already, Michelle and I geard up and headed to the platform. As we were preparing to jump, they shut off the submerged lights under the boat. Dan told us that they had Sea Wasps under the platform, and killed the lights so as to not attract them. Michelle decided that she didn't want to make the dive, considering the current we encountered in the afternoon, combined with the lack of surface supplied light to help us find the boat on the way back. When she told me that she is ok with me buddying up with someone else, I reminded her: Any time, for any reason, with or without cause. I was content to sit the dive out. Turns out, it may just have been fate, as most divers lasted no more than 10 minutes. The bloodworms were out in such force that any dive light would create a cloud of them so dense that vis would go to zero. Where Eel Town the night before may have been the best night dive ever, this turned out to be one of the worst. Guess those are the breaks...

Day 6

Morning dives: Lighthouse Wall. Crack in the housing finally gave way, fortunately on the boat. While the crack was a disappointment, I believe it is quite a testament to Fantasea that we continued to dive this housing for 3-4 days after the crack developed, without a flood. It was just as well, since we did more navigation on these dives, and the camera would only have complicated matters. Again most of the fun on this dive was on the sand flats. Close encounters with a Southern Stingray, Tile Fish, and Flounder were the highlights. We had a mishap on our "Final Exam" for nav. Two slates were laid, one at the anchor line and one at the destination for the instructions on that slate. We found the slate at the anchor line, and swam to point 2. No slate. Exceuted a box pattern. No slate. Returned to the anchor line by following the reverse heading. Anchor line found. Had Michelle follow the heading on the slate. Wound up within about 20 ft of where I ended. Searched again. Called off the search and returned to the boat. Raul entered the water when we reported back, and retrieved the slate. Not sure why we couldn't find it, but those are the breaks. Guess we'll try it again this afternoon.

Afternoon Dives: East Cut Channel. Did an entry from the side of the boat for Boat Diver. Vis was a bit lower, but everything in sight looked healthy, just as all previous dives. We dropped over the wall and kept an eye out for pelegics, but no luck. Dive was quite nice. Dive two, we repeated nav final exam. Once again, followed instructions, no slate. But this time, we decided to press on a bit farther. Scanning the bottom, I didn't see the slate, but then I looked up. The slate was sitting at the pinnacle of a coral head. Mission accomplished! We returned to the area under the boat to verify that our heading was on, then explored the sand flats under the boat.

Night dive: East Cut Channel. I am very glad we decided to go on this night dive. Michelle and I were the first in the water, and no sooner did we start our descent than we were approached by a foursome of Reef Squid. They seemed curious this time, and had no issue with us approaching. The we swam through a school of baby squid. Very cute. We ducked into some of the sand channels, and in one channel, we found a juvinile Spotted Drum. First for us! Then we crested the wall, where I found my first Basket Stars! Comming back towards the boat, I moved closer to a branching coral, and spotted a juvinile Slender File Fish, less than an inch long. When I put my light on him, he drifted up and away from the coral. We started our ascent, and he seemed to stick right with us as we did. As we suspended from the hang bar, plankton was everywhere, but none of it seemed to swarm like at Silver Caves. As we approached the ladder, an ominous sign...I watched a sea wasp swim in front of the lights under the boat. We vented our alternates as we ascended, to blow wasps out of the way. As I climbed a ladder, I watched one of them swim by between my mask and the ladder. I pulled my hand away from the ladder to let him pass, and I don't seem to have been stung. :) A great dive to remember Belize by!

Day 7

We decided to do our last morning dives at Turneffe. We traveled by night, and in the morning, we were at Grand Bogue.

7 am dive at Grand Bogue. Got to see the morning rush hour. Currents were ripping a bit, and the mosquitos were swarming on the boat. Dan handed me a camera for this dive, from the boat's supply. Found a few coral heads to shoot, and Michelle found a pair of Queen Angelfish, which allowed me to get a decent shot. Otherwise pretty uneventful dive.

9:30 am, final dive of trip: The Elbow. I was looking forward to diving this site since before we left Chicago! Our final Boat Diver mission: go to the anchor line with a small pice of line. Thread the line through the eye of the anchor and tie it off with a bowline. Take a slate on a ring, thread the line through the ring, and tie off with another bowline. Piece of cake, been tying knots since I was about 9 years old, brothers are sailors. Completed mission and headed for the wall, tucked over and dropped down to about 70 ft. Michelle watched the wall, I watched the blue. At first, nothing....then something...getting closer....5 ft Spotted Eagle Ray! Our first, and in the top 5 on my Must See list! He passed us about 20 ft away, then up and over the wall, looped around for another pass, up the wall, turned around, down the wall, buzzed us, then off into the blue again. Gave the signal to Michelle to work our way up the wall. Crested the wall, started working our way back to the boat. Seemed like it was taking too long. Michelle signaled to surface and take a heading. We did, and the boat was about 50 yards out, and on the same heading we were taking. Currents must have just been stronger than we anticipated. We dropped back to 20 ft and followed our heading. Again, seemed to be taking too long, Michelle wanted to surface and check heading again. As we were heading for the surface, I saw the hang bar and signaled her to drop back down and follow me. Kind of a challenge, but our navigation was dead on, save for the current working us over.

Return to Belize City

Making the crossing from Turneffe, we had a few cool occurances. First, a pod of spotted dolphins decided to hang under the bow. We were cruising at 12 knots, and they weren't even breaking a sweat! The water was so calm, I was able to lean over the bow rail and snap some beautiful shots with the D70 of these guys flying effortlessly below. Then, one by one, they broke off, but just as we thought the excitement was over, we spotted a remora swimming alone near the surface. Strange. Then as the remora disappered, we watched a flying fish take off and cruise for a good 75 feet or so. Wow!

Back in Belize City, Michelle and I and another couple too the afternoon to tour Altun Ha. That is a subject for another post! Evening, we (as a group) took Jay, Dan, and Caroline out for dinner. Very nice evening.

Day 8

Our flight left around 1pm. Connection through Miami. What a zoo! Then on to home. This will definately not be our last liveaboard, and probably not our last trip to Belize!

NICE!

Thanks for sharing. I'm off to Belize on July 8... so I'm pretty fired up. If you did any on-shore stuff in Belize City, PM me... I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks!

Ken

Wow, thank you for posting such a great report!!! We're heading to Belize in December aboard the Nekton Pilot and will look forward to the same great diving that you had.

Thanks for the great trip report, it brought back memories of our trip
there in July/ 04 . The photos in my gallery are my first u/w pics and are from
some of the same locations.

gangrel441:
Day 4

Day 5

Morning Dives: Long Caye Ridge. We gave Jay a hard time about this sight, due to a little mishap on a previous tour which we were informed about by divers who were there :D . All joking aside, we go some great shots of Squirrel Fish tucked into the reef, the school of Jacks and Chubs under the boat, enormous Giant Barrel Sponges, Tile Fish, and one Yellow Headed Jaw Fish.

Afternoon Dives: Silver Caves. Michelle found a Peacock Flounder on the bottom practicing not being seen. I moved in with the camera and snapped some close-ups, then gently nudged his fins to move him for a better shot. Caroline (videographer) saw us interacting with the Flounder, and moved in with the camera, getting some great footage for the trip video, and thanked us in the boat later for finding the little guy. More sponges, more coral, more shirmp...it is all getting to be a blur...

Night Dive: Sliver Caves. Several divers were in the water already, Michelle and I geard up and headed to the platform. As we were preparing to jump, they shut off the submerged lights under the boat. Dan told us that they had Sea Wasps under the platform, and killed the lights so as to not attract them. Michelle decided that she didn't want to make the dive, considering the current we encountered in the afternoon, combined with the lack of surface supplied light to help us find the boat on the way back. When she told me that she is ok with me buddying up with someone else, I reminded her: Any time, for any reason, with or without cause. I was content to sit the dive out. Turns out, it may just have been fate, as most divers lasted no more than 10 minutes. The bloodworms were out in such force that any dive light would create a cloud of them so dense that vis would go to zero. Where Eel Town the night before may have been the best night dive ever, this turned out to be one of the worst. Guess those are the breaks...

Day 6

Morning dives: Lighthouse Wall. Crack in the housing finally gave way, fortunately on the boat. While the crack was a disappointment, I believe it is quite a testament to Fantasea that we continued to dive this housing for 3-4 days after the crack developed, without a flood. It was just as well, since we did more navigation on these dives, and the camera would only have complicated matters. Again most of the fun on this dive was on the sand flats. Close encounters with a Southern Stingray, Tile Fish, and Flounder were the highlights. We had a mishap on our "Final Exam" for nav. Two slates were laid, one at the anchor line and one at the destination for the instructions on that slate. We found the slate at the anchor line, and swam to point 2. No slate. Exceuted a box pattern. No slate. Returned to the anchor line by following the reverse heading. Anchor line found. Had Michelle follow the heading on the slate. Wound up within about 20 ft of where I ended. Searched again. Called off the search and returned to the boat. Raul entered the water when we reported back, and retrieved the slate. Not sure why we couldn't find it, but those are the breaks. Guess we'll try it again this afternoon.

Afternoon Dives: East Cut Channel. Did an entry from the side of the boat for Boat Diver. Vis was a bit lower, but everything in sight looked healthy, just as all previous dives. We dropped over the wall and kept an eye out for pelegics, but no luck. Dive was quite nice. Dive two, we repeated nav final exam. Once again, followed instructions, no slate. But this time, we decided to press on a bit farther. Scanning the bottom, I didn't see the slate, but then I looked up. The slate was sitting at the pinnacle of a coral head. Mission accomplished! We returned to the area under the boat to verify that our heading was on, then explored the sand flats under the boat.

Night dive: East Cut Channel. I am very glad we decided to go on this night dive. Michelle and I were the first in the water, and no sooner did we start our descent than we were approached by a foursome of Reef Squid. They seemed curious this time, and had no issue with us approaching. The we swam through a school of baby squid. Very cute. We ducked into some of the sand channels, and in one channel, we found a juvinile Spotted Drum. First for us! Then we crested the wall, where I found my first Basket Stars! Comming back towards the boat, I moved closer to a branching coral, and spotted a juvinile Slender File Fish, less than an inch long. When I put my light on him, he drifted up and away from the coral. We started our ascent, and he seemed to stick right with us as we did. As we suspended from the hang bar, plankton was everywhere, but none of it seemed to swarm like at Silver Caves. As we approached the ladder, an ominous sign...I watched a sea wasp swim in front of the lights under the boat. We vented our alternates as we ascended, to blow wasps out of the way. As I climbed a ladder, I watched one of them swim by between my mask and the ladder. I pulled my hand away from the ladder to let him pass, and I don't seem to have been stung. :) A great dive to remember Belize by!

Day 7

We decided to do our last morning dives at Turneffe. We traveled by night, and in the morning, we were at Grand Bogue.

7 am dive at Grand Bogue. Got to see the morning rush hour. Currents were ripping a bit, and the mosquitos were swarming on the boat. Dan handed me a camera for this dive, from the boat's supply. Found a few coral heads to shoot, and Michelle found a pair of Queen Angelfish, which allowed me to get a decent shot. Otherwise pretty uneventful dive.

9:30 am, final dive of trip: The Elbow. I was looking forward to diving this site since before we left Chicago! Our final Boat Diver mission: go to the anchor line with a small pice of line. Thread the line through the eye of the anchor and tie it off with a bowline. Take a slate on a ring, thread the line through the ring, and tie off with another bowline. Piece of cake, been tying knots since I was about 9 years old, brothers are sailors. Completed mission and headed for the wall, tucked over and dropped down to about 70 ft. Michelle watched the wall, I watched the blue. At first, nothing....then something...getting closer....5 ft Spotted Eagle Ray! Our first, and in the top 5 on my Must See list! He passed us about 20 ft away, then up and over the wall, looped around for another pass, up the wall, turned around, down the wall, buzzed us, then off into the blue again. Gave the signal to Michelle to work our way up the wall. Crested the wall, started working our way back to the boat. Seemed like it was taking too long. Michelle signaled to surface and take a heading. We did, and the boat was about 50 yards out, and on the same heading we were taking. Currents must have just been stronger than we anticipated. We dropped back to 20 ft and followed our heading. Again, seemed to be taking too long, Michelle wanted to surface and check heading again. As we were heading for the surface, I saw the hang bar and signaled her to drop back down and follow me. Kind of a challenge, but our navigation was dead on, save for the current working us over.

.........thanks for sharing it. Brought back lots of found diving memories. I still love seeing squadrons of squid. They seem so alien everytime I see them.

Good Diving,

Dave

Years ago I did a trip to the ruins of Altun Ha during the 'gotta decompress' time at the end of my Belize liveaboard. Very memorable.

diver_paula:
Years ago I did a trip to the ruins of Altun Ha during the 'gotta decompress' time at the end of my Belize liveaboard. Very memorable.

Altun Ha was very cool. Michelle and I have been to Chichen Itza and Coba, as well. The most interesting part we found about Altun Ha is that unlike the others I mentioned, the city was pure Maya. There was no Toltec or Iztec influence. Also, a much older city.

We're going to spend an extra 3 days in Belize after our Nekton cruise and spend a full day at Tikal to explore the ruins there. I expect it to be one of the big highlights of our trip. We've been to Tulum and Coba in Mexico, so look forward to seeing the differences.

Back
Top Bottom