Trip Report - Belize Aggressor IV Liveaboard - December 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lavalamp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If you're looking for a trip report with colorful pictures, videos, and detailed accounting of the dive sites, this report is not for you. If you are looking for a report on a general sense of the overall experience of the trip and of this particular boat, I hope you will find this helpful.

My wife and I have recently finished a 7-night diving trip in Belize aboard the Belize Aggressor IV (formerly Belize Sun Dancer) in December 2016. This was our first time in Belize. We chose this particular Aggressor sailing because of the 25% 'Dive The World' special discount. And no we're not liveaboard newbies. We've been on liveaboards before.

All in all, we had a positive experience and feel that it was ok value for money (with the discount).

The People:

We had 7 crew members taking care of 20 guests on board. On this trip, the guests came from USA (10), Mexico (4), UK (3), Canada (2), Spain (1).

The Boat:

Very spacious and comfortable. The salon/dining room was great. The tables have outlets so you can work on your computer or camera. There are also couches and flat screen TV so you can watch movies or showoff your dive pictures and videos.

During this trip, we experienced power outages pretty much every night. These outages usually lasted 5 minutes, definitely no more than 10. Not a big deal. We brought a dive light into the shower every night just in case. The generator on the boat was probably old and due to be replaced. If you plan to charge expensive equipment on this boat, you should probably bring a surge protector.

The staterooms on this boat are larger than those on the sister boat, Belize Aggressor III. So if you're choosing between BA III and BA IV, I'd say go with this one.

The Operations:

Diving services were generally well-organized, efficient, and professional. Alex Brett was an excellent dive guide. He was passionate and helpful. Eddy was good as well. These two were very friendly, knowledgeable, patient, and never patronizing.

Rental BCDs were either really brand spanking new (Aqualung) or really disgustingly old (unknown brand), depending on your luck. My wife and I were not so lucky - we got the old ones with nasty black fungal spots (yuck). They were so old they didn't even have dump valves at the back bottom. We had to hold them upside down just to drain the water out of the BCD.

The Food:

Delicious. Restaurant quality. The meals were usually American or Belizean (or a combination/hybrid of the two cuisines). One day, we may have mac & cheese, bbq chicken/ribs, spaghetti meatballs, green salad. Another day, we may have coconut curry, local fish dish, stir fry veggies, corn on the cob, local food, etc. All tasty. The dining area, dishes, and utensils were always clean. Chef Jerry was awesome.

The Service:

In most aspects, the quality of service and politeness of the crew met our expectations (barring just a few one-off minor incidences).

We were very impressed with Alex. He was always going above and beyond to proactively make sure that all of our needs were taken care of and that the guests enjoyed themselves. In addition to a fun dive guide, he was also a great host - definitely a great person to hang out and chat with on the boat.

Diving in Belize:

We dove Lighthouse & Turneffe Atolls on this trip. We found the diving to be a bit disappointing.

We had high hopes and expectation for Belize prior to this trip, but sadly I would have to rank it below other Caribbean / Central America destinations that we've been to: Cozumel, Bonaire, Cayman, Turks & Caicos (not to mention S.E Asia and the Pacific side). In terms of marine ecosystem, Belize just didn't offer as much. Too many dead patches of reef. Fish population and size were smaller and underwhelming.

The local dive guides explained to us that this was due largely to illegal fishing. Honduran poachers (as well as some bad local Belizeans) would go into these atolls at night to catch fish. Belize, being a poor country, just doesn't have the resources to patrol these waters 24/7. They don't have a well-staffed and well-equipped Coast Guard like the neighboring countries. I'm not sure if this is a fact or just opinion of the guides, so take it with a grain of salt.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't go to Belize. The Blue Hole is still world-famous and still a bucket list item. There is a right price for everything. And there is a reason why diving in Belize is generally cheaper than in those other aforementioned destinations.

Belize is a fine place to dive and you will have a good time, but only if you go with the right expectation.

SUMMARY:

Would we recommend Belize Aggressor IV to a friend? Maybe at 25% discount or more. Not at full price.

Last edited:
Glad you had a positive experience and reported on it. I had a more positive experience when I went in May 2015 (trip report), but of course things can vary widely, even same boat & destination. I took my own gear so I didn't deal with rental equipment. To compare & contrast a bit with your own impressions of the region vs. some other destinations:

1.) I thought it was decently fishy, albeit not to match the better Key Largo sites I dove. Haven't really topped that yet.

2.) I thought it was roughly comparable to my enjoyable trip on the Cayman Aggressor IV, but the wildlife on the Caymans trip was a bit more approachable (or prone to approach divers, plus the Nassau groupers to habituated to humans some let people touch them), with more big fish than Bonaire, and viz. comparable to Bonaire (with is significantly better than I saw diving Key Largo).

3.) The underwater topography was much more varied than Bonaire's mainstream west coast diving (excluding Bonaire's east coast 'wild side' from the discussion).

What did you think of the Blue Hole dive (I infer you did it)?

Richard.

I thought it was decently fishy, albeit not to match the better Key Largo sites I dove. Haven't really topped that yet.
Richard.
It's tough to beat the Florida Keys for sheer fish, in the Caribbean, at least. Flower Gardens gives the keys a run for the money. We tend to protect the breeding stock here, where the fish tend to be eaten in other places. One bright point I saw recently is Saba. I recently spent a month there and it was very fishy, including a black and nassau grouper, and for the littles, frogfish and seahorses were not at all uncommon, enough so that the divemasters on the liveaboard pointed them out on most dives. I love the diving in St. Kitts as well, but I'm a reef guy, and the reefs there were outstanding. Mostly spur and groove, but some nice sandy bottom patch reefs like Dry Tortugas. As well as rusty steel for those who like that.

Thanks for the dive report Lavalamp and thanks Richard for reminding me to re-read your trip report. I'm seriously considering a 10 day for the price of 7 trip on the Aggressor IV this August.

I did the 10-for-7 trip on BAIV in aug/sept 2016 as my first LOB trip. I'm an inveterate bonaire shore diver, and I think I'll probably do this trip again.

The boat is BIG and comfortable. We did not experience the generator problems the OP had.

As far as the diving...
- viz was a little off because were were about 2 weeks post hurricane earl.
- lots of reef sharks and eagle rays. The grouper seemed tame, followed us around. We had been surrounded by sharks and a grouper bumped me from behind. I think I might have let a small girl-scream out.
- didn't seem like as many small things as Bonaire or as many of the usual reef fish. On the other hand, I really enjoyed the walls. Seemed like fewer turtles.

the crew was excellent (Alex was our captain as well).

Jerry was in the galley and as noted, the food was outstanding.

The fort George pier was destroyed during the hurricane so embarkation/disembarkation was via tender from a concrete dock down the way a bit. A minor inconvenience. I'm sure it is a big hassle for the crew resupplying the boat.

I will say that 10 days on a boat is a pretty long time.

I came home saying that was fun, but once was enough - back to Bonaire for me. But I've thought about it some more - I'm planning to do it again.

Just thought I'd add my two cents (not a full-blown trip report) about a couple of things since we too were on this same boat this past December, like OP Lavalamp. Overall, we loved our experience on the Aggressor IV and would definitely go with them again. We thought it was a very good value for the money; we had taken advantage of a brief promotion, 33% off to celebrate 33 years in biz.

The People:

We were so spoiled. The week before us had 20 guests, and the week after us had 20 guests. During our trip there were only 12 guests. So, a crew of 7, 12 guests, on a 136 ft boat...obscene, in a good way! :) Captain Eddy is a hoot! All of the crew were fantastic, so damn customer service-oriented.

The Boat:

Our power went out two times total, for (I believe) less than 10 minutes each time. If I recall correctly, I think both times it happened were when we were getting ready to move to the next location. Non-issue for us.

The Operations:

We brought all our own gear, and all others did too (with the exception of one couple my husband said may have rented a few pieces). OP, I am sorry that your rental gear was yucky.

The dive ops were great.

The Food:

One word: Jerry. Okay, more than one word. I am a foodie and wino, er, I mean, wine lover. Part of the reason we chose this boat (not a huge part but it was a factor) was that I'd read quite a few reviews that touted Chef Jerry's skills. His cooking was consistently excellent. I dig that when "captive". :cool:

The Service:

All super all the time. We wanted for nothing.

Diving in Belize:

We too dove Lighthouse and Turneffe. I should check my log to see which sites we were at, but similar to what drrich2 wrote, they seemed "decently fishy" to us. Actually, they seemed quite fishy. But, I may not be the best to offer perspective as I'm a new diver. My only prior scuba experience has been in Grand Turk & Roatan. A gazillion tarpon, chub, lots of reef sharks, squirrelfish everywhere, blue striped grunt, four-eyed butterfly, parrotfish, peacock flounder, trumpetfish, yellowtail snapper as well as schools of other small fish that I don't yet know what they are :rolleyes:, plenty of octopus, eels, a number of turtles (including one with a tracking device), and a large ray that was good enough to feed in the sand directly under the hang bar for a good 6+ minutes. (Many times I didn't use the hang bar so I could practice holding my stop in my beloved 5mm, neutrally buoyant; but that time it was pretty cool to be uber-lazy and watch the ray.) Oh, and there is a sea horse they must feed valium because everyone gets to see him.

I was the only diver who did not dive the Blue Hole.

maybe the OP can be more specific about which dive sites they liked and did not like? This itinerary is one of our favourites.

We divide this trip into blue hole (i think it sucks), half moon caye (great), long caye (very good) and turneffe reef (so so).

In general the majority of the week is spent on half moon and long caye. Sometimes way too much is spent on long caye if the weather is too windy.

P.S. Who was your cook?

If any of you folks want to do it again let me know. I have the entire boat booked for May 26th - June 2nd of 2018. There are a few SB folks already on it and would love to get a few more. Because we all share in the free spots/commissions/discounts, I can discount everyone's price by $895. So instead of $2995 per person it will be $2100 or $2300 for one of the two deluxe rooms.

Ash

Thanks for the report.

I would have ripped pretty hard on the state of the rental equipment. Black fungal spots? Man! No excuse for that. Hopefully the mouthpieces were clean, lol. Another good reason to bring your own gear.

Glad you had a positive experience.

If any of you folks want to do it again let me know. I have the entire boat booked for May 26th - June 2nd of 2018. There are a few SB folks already on it and would love to get a few more. Because we all share in the free spots/commissions/discounts, I can discount everyone's price by $895. So instead of $2995 per person it will be $2100 or $2300 for one of the two deluxe rooms.

Ash
Do you have some sort of mailing list, or facebook group so I can keep track of this trip, and others?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom