Trip Report - Belize Aggressor IV Liveaboard - December 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to hear about the disappointing diving. I'm diving lighthouse atol all next week. I've heard that this is the best diving in the Caribbean. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I'll be interested to read what you think of it, Candiru. When people post about the 'best diving in the Caribbean,' seems like Little Cayman is most often mentioned, with Turks & Caicos maybe next, and the Lighthouse Atoll region out of Belize in similar standing. I haven't dove T&C; I dove the Cayman Aggressor with several dives off L.C. as part of the trip.

I don't have a great recall for comparative experience, but overall, I wasn't left thinking either was head & shoulders above the other on diving. Some of the reef life was more accustomed to mankind in the Caymans (e.g.: Nassua grouper who let you touch them, a hawksbill turtle that swam out to somebody), and Stingray City was neat, but I enjoyed the shark dive and the 'land tour' walking around Half Moon Caye on the Belize trip.

I think you'll have a good time, but let us know how it goes.

Richard.

Thanks! We did this trip back in 2010, our cap was the guy pictured below (Mike?). Really nice guy. Everything worked great. As for the diving, it was better than average Caribbean, about the same as Utila.
BelizeAggressorIII3w700h466crwidth700crheight466.jpg

I don't think you'll be disappointed. We stayed at Turneffe in December and were able to do a few dives off of lighthouse and Half moon. I thought they were some of the best dives we've ever done. Let us know what you think.

I've been diving all over the Caribbean and in my opinion, the diving is more alike than it is different. I am talking the actual UW experience.

I no longer feel an urge to try a new Caribbean dive destination. I will see similar things. To me it is down to what kind of vacation do I want to have.

Liveaboard: Belize or Turks and Caicos. I felt a little disappointed with Caymans. Less animal life in comparison and crossing to LC took time. I found TC walls comparable to LC. TC if you want to see sharks. Belize for variety and walls shallower than TC.

Shore diving: Bonaire. The diving itself was a little monotonous as most sites are very similar to one another. No large fish and very few medium size fish.

Macro and house reef: Cocoview. Kind of like a land based liveaboard. No large fish and very few medium size fish.

Land based boat diving: Cozumel. The currents keep the reef healthy and Coz consistently has more large and medium size fish in comparison to all the other Carib destinations I've been to.

In my opinion, Cozumel has the best diving in the Caribbean if you just consider the UW experience. If I want to be lazy and relaxed, it's a liveaboard and I like Belize for that.

My two favorites have been Cozumel and Little Cayman. Overall I like LC for the health of the reefs but also I love the Little Cayman Beach Resort. Just first class all the way. We're headed back to Cozumel in May so I'm really looking forward to that.

The one time I went to Belize we stayed at Turneffe Island Resort. Really nice place and good diving but not sure it was as good as either Coz or LC. I do know the very best sites were ones that were a long boat ride away and that's where the liveaboard hangs out mostly so I'm really looking forward to going back to Belize on the Belize Aggressor IV. I have been told the chef on that boat may very well be the best chef of any liveaboard in the Caribbean.

I liked the diving in Cozumel but it seems like the island turned into a bit of a circus. Too many people, especially when the cruise ships roll in. Too bad I didn't discover it 30 years ago.

I keep going back to Belize because I love the diving plus the village/jungle experience. I've been all around the country several times over and there are still places I have yet to experience. Heck, I've probably seen more of Belize than most Belizeans, lol. For whatever reason, I just feel like I'm home every time the plane touches down at Goldson.

Liveaboards are great, and I'm not knocking anyone's choices, but I do strongly encourage folks to check out the bush either before or after the boat to experience what Belize has to offer.

Speaking of which, I'll be there in just about nine weeks, just in time for Whale Shark "season," after a couple of quick stays in Mexico City and San Salvador. Can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom