Trip report: Blue XT Sea Aug 31-Sep 5 & bunch of pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just completed our second trip to Coz and with Blue XT Sea. Christi runs a nice op. They are fun to dive with and take good care of you. We did 14 dives over 6 days. Dive times averaged 65 minutes, with a night dive on Paradise Reef at 79 minutes and one on Columbia Shallows (maybe our best dive) at 85 minutes. Water temps were between 82 and 85. The usual DM’s of Blanca, Pedro Pablo and Arturo were helpful with divers when needed but not bossy. They pretty much let us dive our computers, starting the ascent with 700 psi. When someone ran low they sent their sausage up and that diver went up to safety stop depth with their buddy or solo if they felt comfortable and the rest of us continued the dive until we were low on air. Boat Captains Hector and Adan were great on the boat, helping with equipment & cameras and had the boat right there when we surfaced. Hector always had a container of fresh water to dump over your head after the dive. The fruit, muffins and juice tasted great during the SI. One thing about Christi’s trips is it isn’t just the staff that are great but her op attracts good dive buddies. We had good divers and fun people on the boat all week.

My wife did her AOW this trip and the way Christi runs the class works out great for a vacation diver. First she sends out the book ahead of time so the reading and knowledge reviews can be done before leaving home. The class is private so the student not only gets good instruction but doesn’t spend any vacation time having to watch other students go through skills. And Christi just puts the instructor on the same boat so my wife was with me the whole time, except when we went to dive she went with Arturo and I went with the group. On a couple of dives my wife and Arturo met up with the group after she completed that dive's skills and we completed the dive like normal. The instruction she received was as good if not better than what I had here in the states. I'd highly recommend Arturo as an instructor.

Our best meals were at Lo Cocay and Kinta, with the food maybe a little better at Lo Cocay but Kinta being a little less expensive. But both have great food, service and ambiance, and while more costly than the traditional restaurants we can’t get that quality of dining here in LA for those prices so it is still a relative bargain. Other good meals were at Sorrisi and Pancho’s Backyard.

Travel trip we learned this time: when in Houston with a short connection time find one of those motorized carts. I always thought those were just for elderly people or people having a hard time walking. We only had an hour to get through immigration, get bags, go through customs and to the gate. I asked a driver where our gate was and he told us to jump in and he would get us there on time. I think picking a young male driver helps, they get to play race car driver for the moment.

Here are a bunch of photos.

Queen Angelfish
IMG_15352.jpg

Rock Beauty
IMG_15621.jpg

Spotted Moray at Chun Chacab reef
IMG_17721.jpg

Arturo watching a turtle
IMG_15501.jpg

my only Splendid Toadfish sighting of the week at White House reef, with an Arrow Crab sharing the crevice on the left
IMG_1568.jpg

Barracuda
IMG_1206.jpg

a pair of Gray Angelfish
IMG_1573.jpg

a French Angelfish trying to hide from me
IMG_14191.jpg

juvi Angelfish from the night dive on Paradise reef
IMG_1516.jpg

Sharptail Eel also from the night dive
IMG_1508.jpg

Spotted Drum
IMG_1230.jpg

Threespot Damselfish
IMG_16332.jpg

Queen Triggerfish
IMG_17831.jpg

Anemone
IMG_18101.jpg

Blanca
IMG_10261.jpg

Very nice thnx for the report

Thanks for the excellent trip report and photos. I can hardly wait for my upcoming Coz trip in February:D

Great report and wonderful pictures.

My family and I will be there next month. I've dove with BlueXTSea one time while on a cruise but, I'm not going to be able to this time. Pedro was my dive master when I dove with them.

We are staying with Hotel Cozumel and using Dive Paradise for our dives. (Heard good things about them so far.) Our dates are Oct 11th through the 18th. The 14th is mine and my wife's 2nd year anniversary and the 18th is my brother-in-laws Birthday, so we are going to Lo Cocay to celebrate both. (All the family is going.)

Are most of those pictures at night? They really look good. I'm not a photographer of any sort but, I plan to rent a camera (hopefully with a strobe) and try to take some descent pictures.

Thanks again for a great report.

Michael

Great trip report on Chriti and her crew. They are a great bunch, excellent service and fun to dive with.

Blanca was our DM on one of our dives when Gustav was going by. It started to rain during our surface interval and I was about to call it quits.

She said to wait it out and the dive would be good. She was right and it was an outstanding dive.

Your photos are wonderful ! Looks like you had a nice selection of marine life as well as a super shot of Blanca ! Sounds like you had a great time ! Blue XT Sea Divemasters are the best !! Christi and her crew are top notch. Sue Sue

Thanks for taking the time to prep your report and pictures to share! I enjoyed the pictures so much. Continued safe diving to you and your wife.

Rex:

We really enjoyed meeting and diving with you and Deanna. We too have nothing but praise for everyone at BlueXTSea - this was our 5th trip with them and we're already looking forward to the next one (whenever that may be). Glad to see that you guys successfully negotiated your short layover in Houston.

If I get really ambitious I'll also try to post a trip report with some pics although mine are not as nice as yours.

Take care and we hope to see you both again soon - perhaps next fall in Coz?

Robbie and Frances

Are most of those pictures at night? Michael

The only two from night are the eel and juvi angelfish.

Rex:
We really enjoyed meeting and diving with you and Deanna. We too have nothing but praise for everyone at BlueXTSea - this was our 5th trip with them and we're already looking forward to the next one (whenever that may be). Glad to see that you guys successfully negotiated your short layover in Houston.

If I get really ambitious I'll also try to post a trip report with some pics although mine are not as nice as yours.

Take care and we hope to see you both again soon - perhaps next fall in Coz?

Robbie and Frances

It was fun diving with both of you. It makes the dives better to have good people on the trip, thanks for being there. Hope to dive with you again someday, next fall in Coz is a definate possibility. I'm willing to take those hurricane statistic chances.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom