Trip Report - Brass Spike Wreck, Virginia Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewski

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All:

I had the opportunity to dive with Lynnhaven Dive Center (LDC) on Sunday, April 23 on a trip to the "Brass Spike Wreck," an older sailing vessel in about 85 FT of water, maybe 20 or so miles out. Weather conditions turned out pretty optimal (see pictures), sea condition was good but some remaining storm swell made for wave surge on the wreck, even at 85 FT. Underwater visibility was a silty 10 FT, maybe 15 FT at the most. Bottom temp was 48 degrees. Besides me, there were only 4 other divers on this trip along with the Captain and a Divemaster. It was REALLY crowded on that 60 FT boat! BTW, the boat was the Miss Lindsey, and is a first class ride if you haven't been on it before. They even serve free hotdogs, soda and chips for lunch (darn GOOD too!).

We did two dives with a one hour surface interval. Most of us were using 32 mix with 30 min BTs. The wreck is pretty broken up, but you can still make out contours. Since this was my first offshore dive of the season, I just took it easy and only poked around. All in all, it was a GREAT day. I wish RAD could have been there...

Here are the pics:

04-22-07_0836-1.jpg

04-22-07_0835-1.jpg

04-22-07_0834.jpg

04-22-07_1103-1.jpg

04-22-07_1244-1.jpg

Doesn't get any prettier than that last one, huh? :D

Hope ya'll liked 'em...

Thats it kick the dog & laugh. I told you them Lindsay dogs were the ticket after a nice dive. I cant believe I didnt get that last picture sent to me. It definatly makes a statement.
Lets make a trip on the 12th to the Luckenbach. May 12th that is. Ivan(smithfielddiver) is already there.
What ya think Andy. Of course the weekend of May 6th is open also. Am I getting GREEDY. I hope so.
Oh & that boat looks too crowded for me.LOL

Hey Bro!

May 12 it is.... Let's do it!

Andy

P.S. Ya know, if we could get enough regular members doing this, we could start doing charters... Hmmmmmmm

too bad we couldn't get to see any pics of the wreck. this is real close to home for me and i'd love to make that dive someday.

thanks for posting.

bvmjethead:
too bad we couldn't get to see any pics of the wreck. this is real close to home for me and i'd love to make that dive someday.

thanks for posting.
An underwater camera is on my to do list, but not yet (RAD's got one!). BUT, even if I had one, you'd probably only see green water, silt and maybe "something." The thing about diving around here is that the bottom viz changes like our weather, crappy one day - beautiful the next. Ya gotta take the good with the bad...

:D

Unfortunatly every time I take my camera the vis is less than optimal & when I dont bring it sometimes the vis is better. Ive been asked not to bring it so at least we will have a chance of decent vis. Will try again of course as I am not superstitious. I just hate having a boat load of divers looking cross-eyed at me when we have lousy vis. But luckily I have thick skin.

Back
Top Bottom