Trip Report - Browning Pass Hideaway

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody who can do 5 full hour or more dives in North Vancouver Island water has my sincere respect. We have been very happy with three dives, averaging a full 60 to 70 minutes.

They may offer 5 dives a day but I don't believe anyone actually does that amount.

Another option for the area is the Mamro liveaboard. I've been with Danny for years going up there and he is also an expert on how to dive the various locations. Plus you aren't stuck doing one area.

I can't really take exception to anything anyone has said. The walkways are treacherous (he has shingles nailed to them so you don't slip, but no handrails...). The accommodation was ok. It was a just like a small motel. There was a small baseboard heater that ran as long as the generator was running, and two nice duvets, so I had no trouble staying warm. The main kitchen area was always cosy, and "the bunkhouse" with the woodstove was pleasant enough to warm up between dives.

We did three or four dives daily which was great... although hard work. I totally agree about the benches on the boat. They're terrible for kitting up. Even a handrail mid-ships to pull yourself up would help... I didn't worry about the weather. Certainly a warm toque and gloves... plus spares... are mandatory in the Fall.

Just for fun, I sent an email to God's Pocket and got a reply within an hour. In fairness, midweek, this time of year, I expect John would answer quickly too...

The Mamro spent most of the I was there, anchored in "our" bay. He was having mechanical problems where they could have either fills or hot food! John supplied the Mamro guests with their fills for the week... I think for no charge. (I saw a bottle of rum change hands, and as we all know, rum is the universal currency of the sea.

I was surprised at how small the Mamro was... And it appeared to be in need of a little love as well..

The Nautilus Swell was there too... Gorgeous boat!

I'd LOVE to do a trip on the Swell -- but it makes even God's Pocket look affordable :)

I'd LOVE to do a trip on the Swell -- but it makes even God's Pocket look affordable :)

A friend is on the Swell this week.. I'm a tad envious. She's an awesome looking boat. (I'm a fan of classic tugs!) They certainly had a load on when I was there... standing room only on their skiff... but it looked like they were having a good time!

I just returned from the hideaway on August 5th. John pulled up to the dock at 1:30 (the agreed meeting time) and we were motoring out to the hideaway within an hour. The new accommodations are basic and since there were only 4 in my group we each had our own room with bathroom and shower. We managed 15 dives on the 4 night trip and did do a 5 dive day on one of them (we only did 3 on the second day as John was gone for about 5 hours taking a couple back to Port Hardy) On all the dives John dropped us in at the perfect time for a gentle drift along some of the best cold water sites I've ever seen. Food was plentiful and home cooked. Great homemade soups everyday. It's my third time there and I've never been to God's pocket so can't compare. Most of the dive sites are 15 min max from the bay. All in all a great trip especially for me as I took my son who had only 15 dives prior to the trip and only 2 in a drysuit. Half way through the trip he was gently floating along the walls in great trim enjoying all to see.

Back
Top Bottom