Trip Report - Coco View Resort - 17-24 March 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

- I did a 1:1 check-out dive with a DM on Saturday (scheduled in advance = $25)…..absolutely worth it (saw a turtle on CCV wall during the front yard “tour”)…..particularly to be able to enjoy a full day of diving on Sunday

Great post! We are booked for our first CCV trip Thanksgiving week!

One question- do you remember what time you got there on Saturday? We would also like to do our check-out dive Saturday and arrive at 1:05 on United. I'm hoping this is early enough. Thanks!

I will play the devil's advocate on this one, my usual role.

The demand for a late afternoon Saturday orientation dive puzzles many of us. It is a freebie 12 hours later, but if you want a DM to work on his day off, that's where the $25 comes in.

It might be irrelevant if you were to be so focused all week that you managed to do all 27 dives that could be done in a 5x a day schedule.

Is it worth it to pay $25 extra for an orientation dive on the late afternoon of your arrival- only to skip 1.5 days worth of diving throughout the week? (As in the OP's logged 20 dives)

If you do the orientation dive on Saturday afternoon, that means that instead of doing it on Sunday AM, you get two boat dives that next morning.

I guess.

A lot of people do the standard (included) orientation dive and then do another shore dive that same morning after arrival.

This, it should be remembered, is NOTa "check-out" dive. Yes, you are there to check your weights, but unless the DM has been given a reason to examine some minor skills, you will get a tour, an orientation, of the Front Yard. Some DMs might have you perform some activities because they are on the path to instructor, and they are learning. Likely, if you get in the water and know what you are doing, you'll go on the short orientation dive and hopefully learn all the man-made land marks that dot the Front Yard.

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

Memorize the above and you don't need the orientation dive.:lotsalove:

This afternoon of arrival phenomena is relatively new, due to a change in the airline schedules. Not so long ago, you used to set foot at the resort at 5pm or so. Now, with early arrivals, you appear a lot earlier.

How to figure your arrival time? Lets' say you arrive at 1:00 pm on your flight. You will likely hit the resort by 2:30 at the minimum. After you find your room and your luggage arrives, figure 3:30, then maybe another :45 minutes to get weights and turn in your c-card. That's 4:25 and in the water. Call it about +3:15 hrs. after touch-down IF all the planets align.

Everybody has finally started to listen to DAN about any number of warnings, but so far, not many have paid any attention to their one or two mentions about linking (all but universal) travel dehydration with DCS. Ignore it if you like, but diving while dehydrated is an obvious DCS risk. Travel dehydrates. Do the math.

So, are you really going to bang-out all 27 dives in a week, doing 5x a day? Maybe doing the orientation dive upon arrival for $25 works for you.

Or would you rather relax, learn your way around the resort in the daylight, rehydrate, wait 12 hours and save $25?

I don't have an inclusive sample, but I only know of one person who did the afternoon-of-arrival orientation dive and then went on to do those other easy 27 in a week.

Great report Chris! And congrats to Abby, what a great place to have your first dive experience! Your report puts me right back to the time I spent at CCV and echos my outstanding experience. Can't wait to get back there!

Gotta agree with Doc's comments above. I think I did 24 dives the week I was there including the Sunday AM orientation dive. If you're that anxious to get in the water, grab your snorkel and take advantage of the incredible amount of life in the shallows between the resort and the wall!

Thanks everyone for all the compliments. Always fun for me to re-live the week via a report. Hopefully the info was helpful......as newbies we weren't 100% sure what to expect and thought some of the details would be useful.

Kryssa, we arrived on the Delta flight from Atlanta on Saturday at 12.46PM Roatan time. By the time we got through the immigration line, met Nora, waited for the baggage to be collected, boarded/rode the bus and took the boat ride to CCV.....I would guess we got to CCV around 1.45-2PM. I arranged the check-out dive in advance; Patty at Dockside set the dive up for 3PM based on our arrival time. This ended up being 1:1 with Marco (sp?).....very nice, relaxed dive. Word to first timers = your luggage is usually sent to CCV from the airport in a separate truck. As a result, it usually arrives slightly later than you do. If you have arranged a check-out dive....after heading to the dining hall to fill out paper work and get the keys to your room, you should go hang around down by the dive boat area....in order to intercept your dive bags as they get unloaded from the boat so you can unpack your dive gear in your locker and get ready for the check-out dive.

As for the need for a check-out dive.....on one hand I agree with Doc that rushing to get into the water within minutes of arrival may be pushing things. I decided to do this mainly because I knew my daughter would be spending the first few days doing referral dives...getting the check-out out of the way just gave me more flexibility for the week and to allowed me to take full advantage of the days when she was going to be off diving separately with an instructor.

My 2 centavos.

Chris

Last edited:
Hello Chris,

You wrote in part:

I arranged the check-out ndive in advance; Patty at Dockside she set the dive up for 3PM based on our arrival time. This ended up being 1:1 with Marco (sp?).....very nice, relaxed dive. Word to first timers = your luggage is usually sent to CCV from the airport in a separate truck. As a result, it usually arrives slightly later than you do. If you have arranged a check-out dive....after heading to the dining hall to fill out paper work and get the keys to your room, you should go hang around down by the dive boat area....in order to intercept your dive bags as they get unloaded from the boat so you can unpack your dive gear in your locker and get ready for the check-out dive. As for the need for a check-out dive.....

For everyones' information:

Effective immediately, to arrange for a Saturday beach orientation dive and/or to request a certain dive boat and crew;

please call in or email your requests to:

1. 800-510-8164

2. dro@cocoviewresort.com

You can also make these requests at the time you book your reservation.

By doing this, the information becomes part of your reservation record and is printed out on the weekly rooming list.

Boat assignments are made from the weekly room list.

I know the following has been posted here before, but once again for the record:

The boats, compressors, tanks and weights are owned and operated by CoCoView Resort. The dive crews are CoCoView employees.

Dockside Dive Center which is located at CoCoView has the concession for dive instruction, dive equipment rental, sales and repair, and photo/video.

If you email your requests to Dockside, they just have to forward it to us, which creates additional work for everyone involved and increases the probability of an error.

Thank you for your help and understanding in this matter.

Sincerely,

Doc Radawski
CCV Dive Ops
diveops@cocoviewresort.com

Back
Top Bottom