Trip Report: Halloween Night Dive on the Graveyard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xiSkiGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Six brave souls (all employees at Bermuda Triangle in Greenville, SC) did a night dive last night (Halloween) on the old Mount Carmel Church Graveyard at Lake Jocassee. When Lake Jocassee was created in the early 70s, the church was moved and most of the graves exhumed. However, several head stones and plots remain. You can catch a glimpse of the Graveyard (pre-inundation) while the graves are actually being exhumed in one of the last scenes of the movie Deliverance.

We met at the main boat ramp in Devil's Fork State Park at 7:00pm. We loaded tanks, BP/Ws, deco bottles and miscellaneous other gear and motored off to the dive site. Using GPS we quickly located the submerged buoy that marks the location of the Graveyard.

Normally a ~140ft dive, the lake is quite low right now bringing the depth down to about 120ft and making Nitrox 30 a doable option. The air temperature was in the mid 50s and the surface temperature was in the high 60s. Passing 85 feet the water temp drops to a cool 51F. 5 of the divers were diving wet, using hoods and gloves. I was diving dry with no hood or gloves. I was quite warm on the bottom and actually hot during the deco. :D Visibility was 40ft or so horizontally on the bottom, which is typical on the Graveyard, but quite nice compared to most of the dive sites at Jocassee.

We saw a few catfish and even a pale white crayfish. One diver on a scooter covered quite a bit of ground and intersected with one of the old roads surrounding the Graveyard. My buddy team followed the north line (typewriter line) past the larger head stones to the end of the line at the exhumed plots/brush pile. Backtracking to the upline we then followed the south line into the trees for a ways until our planned bottom time began to run low and thirds were getting close. We returned to the upline and began our ascent, which during the day is always a cool sight, because your eyes have adjusted to the darkness and you can get a nice view of much of the graveyard. At night it was just as cool to see the ghostly pale blue glow of HID lights as the other divers made their way back to the upline.

Making our first stop at 70ft for two minutes and switching to Nitrox 50, you could see the relief on a few divers faces to be above the thermocline! The rest of the deco was uneventful, but a just touch crowded as teams with different schedules leapfrogged each other on the upline. A little over an hour after splashing, deco schedules were complete and we were back on the boat and headed to shore. What better way to spend Halloween than diving in a real Graveyard?

Thanks for the report. I dove the Graveyard on Sunday morning but I know it was really neat to dive it on Hollaween Night.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Isn't there a graveyard in Lanier as well?

Mike

mikerault:
Isn't there a graveyard in Lanier as well?

Mike

Not sure but I know that Lanier has become a grave for some!

Be safe out there people!!!

Jeremy

xiSkiGuy:
Six brave souls (all employees at Bermuda Triangle in Greenville, SC) did a night dive last night (Halloween) on the old Mount Carmel Church Graveyard at Lake Jocassee. When Lake Jocassee was created in the early 70s, the church was moved and most of the graves exhumed. However, several head stones and plots remain. You can catch a glimpse of the Graveyard (pre-inundation) while the graves are actually being exhumed in one of the last scenes of the movie Deliverance.

We met at the main boat ramp in Devil's Fork State Park at 7:00pm. We loaded tanks, BP/Ws, deco bottles and miscellaneous other gear and motored off to the dive site. Using GPS we quickly located the submerged buoy that marks the location of the Graveyard.

Normally a ~140ft dive, the lake is quite low right now bringing the depth down to about 120ft and making Nitrox 30 a doable option. The air temperature was in the mid 50s and the surface temperature was in the high 60s. Passing 85 feet the water temp drops to a cool 51F. 5 of the divers were diving wet, using hoods and gloves. I was diving dry with no hood or gloves. I was quite warm on the bottom and actually hot during the deco. :D Visibility was 40ft or so horizontally on the bottom, which is typical on the Graveyard, but quite nice compared to most of the dive sites at Jocassee.

We saw a few catfish and even a pale white crayfish. One diver on a scooter covered quite a bit of ground and intersected with one of the old roads surrounding the Graveyard. My buddy team followed the north line (typewriter line) past the larger head stones to the end of the line at the exhumed plots/brush pile. Backtracking to the upline we then followed the south line into the trees for a ways until our planned bottom time began to run low and thirds were getting close. We returned to the upline and began our ascent, which during the day is always a cool sight, because your eyes have adjusted to the darkness and you can get a nice view of much of the graveyard. At night it was just as cool to see the ghostly pale blue glow of HID lights as the other divers made their way back to the upline.

Making our first stop at 70ft for two minutes and switching to Nitrox 50, you could see the relief on a few divers faces to be above the thermocline! The rest of the deco was uneventful, but a just touch crowded as teams with different schedules leapfrogged each other on the upline. A little over an hour after splashing, deco schedules were complete and we were back on the boat and headed to shore. What better way to spend Halloween than diving in a real Graveyard?

Man, this tugs at my heartstrings hearing you talk about intersecting the old road. :( I don't know how many times as a little girl we drove past that old church on our way to Jocassee Valley. There is so much beauty buried below that lake, and much of it was left intact due to the depth. I'd give anything to be able to go back there, just for a day. I'm glad that at least a part of it can still be experienced. Thanks for the awesome report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom