Trip Report/La Parguera, Puerto Rico/December 27-30, 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlevine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Another year has passed and I just completed another fantastic dive trip in La Parguera, Puerto Rico with West Divers (http://www.westdiverspr.com). I am one member of a group of three that has made this pilgrimage for several years, most recently with West Divers. This trip in particular turned was unquestionably the best that I have ever had in La Parguera. I have posted other reviews of La Parguera but I think it’s worth an annual review because dive shops can change over time.

First, a bit of logistics. Making reservations with West Divers is very straightforward. I e-mailed the shop and received a response from Marilyn within a few days. If you don’t, give them a call. Most of the staff speak both English and Spanish. It’s also a good idea to reconfirm the reservation a week or so before you show up. I usually stop in the shop the day before to make sure I am aware of any new changes. The shop is located on the left side of Route 304 just before you go down the last hill into the plaza area. We were asked to show up at 7:30 for an 8am departure. West Divers’ boats are located at the dock behind the former Parador Posada Porlamar, next to Parador Villa Parguera.

Once our group of three arrived at the docks we were given approval to board the boat and set up our gear since we all knew the routine. One the first day there were two other couples that joined us, making a total of seven divers along with the dive leader BamBam and boat captain Angel. BamBam is an incredible dive leader. He is extremely concerned about safety and always plays it safe when leading dives. Someone gave him an orange dive shirt which actually turned out to be very helpful because he was easy to see underwater. We called him “BamBamChina! “China” (pronounced “cheena&#8221:wink: is the term used in Puerto Rico for “orange." Angel was a great boat captain and was very eager to make sure we had a good time.

After everyone was set up, we departed (usually pretty close to schedule), we would make our way out to the wall, which is typically a 25-30 minute trip. On the first day we had some engine trouble on the way which took about 10-15 minutes to fix. Angel was awesome. He went under the deck into the engine compartment. I believe it was a fuel system problem. He got everything fixed. Not once did you hear a complaint. Yes, no one likes to stall out, but the shop handled it well. We then got to the first site which was typically on the wall with a maximum depth of 80-90 feet. Our group of three jumped in the water and headed down. There is a 15-foot descent line that you can use to help you control your initial descent. The mooring line is also available when conditions warrant. Our group then dove along the wall and returned to the boat after about 45-50 minutes.

We had refreshments on board (fruit, sandwiches, cookies, and water) and then proceeded to the next dive site which was usually on a shallower reef, usually 40-60 feet for 45-50 minutes. We then headed back to the shore and were usually back by approximately 12:30. The seas were very flat that day with little current, but the visibility was just so-so.

On the second day it was just our group of three and everything went well (no engine problems!). The visibility began to improve. The third day we had two additional guys join us and, again, things went very well.

So now we get to the fourth day. This is the day that made it special for all of us. Normally in La Parguera the boat moors at a site and the divers always return to the mooring site. Since our group that day (meaning the three of us and a new passenger from Italy) had a fair amount of experience, BamBam agreed to do a drift dive along the wall. WOW! What a fantastic dive! We covered about 1.5 miles along the wall! It was amazing topography. We also did a drift dive for the second dive in a shallower area. At the end of that dive we saw a huge school of barracuda. There must have been literally 100! It was a great way to end the week. Also, the visibility during the last day was markedly better.

Ah yes, the water temperature. The water temperature during the week was 82-83 degrees Fahrenheit. I dove with a 3 mm shorty. One of my friends dove with a 3 mm full. The other didn't use a wetsuit at all. In terms of waves, the seas were pretty flat the first three days. On the final day, I would estimate the waves being at 2-4 feet.

I’d like to mention a couple more diving-related things. Even when the seas are flat, the boat ride out takes 25-30 minutes, not to mention the ride between sites and the ride back. It is very common for people to experience some seasickness. It happened to me my first year in La Parguera so after that I started taking medication. I prefer meclizine because it doesn't make me drowsy. Use what’s appropriate for you.

Also, it’s sometimes helpful to do a quick checkout dive before the main diving starts. I've done this myself in other locations (because my waistline isn't as stable as I'd like it to be). It helps me to make sure my weighting is fine and gives me a chance to reacquaint myself with the equipment. These two things will be very helpful to anyone making the trip. And yes, I've taken my own advice more than once!

And now for some non-diving stuff. We usually stay at Parador Villa Parguera (Parador Villa Parguera - Portada). It’s a very clean hotel (a “parador” is like an inn). The rooms have A/C, television, and private bath. I sleep very well when I am there and it’s just next to the former Posada Porlamar behind which the West Divers boat is docked. It’s literally a two minute walk. For breakfast, take a quick walk up Route 304. Just before West Divers, there is a market (M&M) that serves breakfast starting at 7am. You can get a breakfast sandwich and coffee for under $5. The restaurant situation in town has improved significantly over the years. Newcomers include Isla Cueva (a burger/tapas joint), Café Fresco (a small family run operation), Turramote (by the marina, you need to drive), Yolanda’s (burgers and other items), Puerto Parguera (a Puerto Rican restaurant) and others. There is a gas station in town and two ATMs (one outside of Villa Parguera and one at the M&M market). If you need any items that are not at the M&M market, there is a K-Mart in Yauco (just before the exit towards La Parguera). You can also stop in Ponce or Mayaguez for larger stores.

In terms of traveling, La Parguera is about 2.5 hours from San Juan, 1.5 hours from Rincon, and one hour from Ponce. The roads in Puerto Rico are generally very good, but…do not speed in Puerto Rico!

I highly recommend going to La Parguera. It’s a great way to spend some time relaxing and enjoy some good diving. West Divers is a great operation. Go for it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom