Trip Report- March 8-15, Hotel Cozumel AI, dove w Dive Paradise.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So it's a federal law that taxis can't pick up tourists in the "airport area"? Must be nice to be mafia when the feds are in your pocket.

That's not unusual. ONE local taxi company has the concession to service arrivals at the Ottawa International Airport and they are the only one that can pick up within whatever boundary was set as "airport property" or federal land". Any taxi company can drop you off but they must leave empty.

At least he didn't end up cemented to the reef. While I don't support the taxi mafia by any means, airports are a whole different animal. It's similar at Pearson airport here in Toronto in that only airport taxi's can pick you up and they also have to pass on a $15 airport charge. Someone has to pay for the billions it cost to renovate the airport. You could have someone pick you up but have fun with the parking fee's.

That's not unusual. ONE local taxi company has the concession to service arrivals at the Ottawa International Airport and they are the only one that can pick up within whatever boundary was set as "airport property" or federal land". Any taxi company can drop you off but they must leave empty.
Sure, but that's corrupt Canada. I'm shocked this sort of thing happens in Mexico.

---------- Post added March 27th, 2014 at 09:07 AM ----------

At least he didn't end up cemented to the reef. While I don't support the taxi mafia by any means, airports are a whole different animal. It's similar at Pearson airport here in Toronto in that only airport taxi's can pick you up and they also have to pass on a $15 airport charge. Someone has to pay for the billions it cost to renovate the airport. You could have someone pick you up but have fun with the parking fee's.
At the U.S. airports where I've taxied from, seems like you get a variety of companies picking up. They do add a surcharge, which I assume goes to the airport facility fund or something, but there's no monopoly. In the U.S., monopoly is merely a board game.

We rarely take the taxis. We usually always rent a car, jeep or scooter. Scooters are as expensive as a rental car, but easier to park.

We stay at Hotel Cozumel and Resort and have no complaints, for the cost it is as good as any hotel I've stayed in Louisiana (just kidding guys, don't get your gators in a knot). We like the beach at El Coz better, but LOVE the location and convenience of HCR. And free parking to boot. If the waves aren't too rough the shore dives are nice and easy (but we don't do anything nice...and easy).

As for local airports, Bill and Hillary Clinton National airport waives the fee if you are a "fluffy" brunette! ...we always have to pay.

Brules said:
I remember when Giovanni was at Papa Hogs, loved diving with him. He is one of the really really good ones!!!!!!!! Miss him lots!​

I remember him working for Scuba-Du, and yes he is a very good one. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom