Trip Report: Myrtle Beach, SC 5/27/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeFlaneur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The Good: Weather and surface conditions, AND Vanessa (Wreck Goddess) who organized the whole thing and dealt beautifully with all the crap thrown at her.
The Bad: Coastal Scuba of North Myrtle Beach
The Ugly: visibility of about 5-10 feet on all sites for three straight days.

Saturday 5/27/06
2 Afternoon Dives: Barracuda Alley.
Visibility 8 feet
Min Temp 70 degrees F
Depth about 55-62 feet

This is basically a small barge sunk as an artificial reef. You can swim around it several times in the course of one dive. It is very easy to navigate since it is just a simple rectangle.
It probably had the most marine life of any of the dives we did.
There are also some personnel carriers nearby which, due to poor visibility I didn't check out.

Sunday 5/28/06
2 Afternoon Dives: The Governor aka the Swanny (identity is debated)
Visibilty: 5 feet
min Temp 68 degrees F
Depth about 75 - 80 feet

This is a Civil War era paddle wheel boat. Very little to see at this visibility. Basically a shaft and boiler and rubble.
The "diggers" among us naturally liked this wreck since it is authentic.

Monday 5/29/06
2 Dives -- full day. BP-25
visibility: 10 feet
Min Temp 68 degrees F
Depth about 80 to 90 feet

Another artificial wreck consisting of a very large tanker and some subway cars.
The first dive we anchored on a subway car -- actually pretty fun with easy swim through opportunities and pretty much impossible to get lost.
During the surface interval we re-anchored on the wreck itself. Lots of stuff to explore here and some cool marine life. Schools of amberjacks are a highlight.
I would love to see it in better visibility.

Now... the bad stuff
I hate to say it but all around our boat experience was pretty bad. We first booked with Dolphin Dive Charters which gets rave reviews on the speed and quality of their boat.
Unfortunately the legendary boat was not in the water and Dolphin waited until three days before the trip to tell us that.

After reorganization, we booked with Coastal Scuba. The last minute booking seemed to throw them.
On the whole, the final day was smooth but the following problems occurred on the first two days:

-Approximately 20 divers on board -- probably due to a re-booking of a blown out morning dive
-Boat did not have enough cylinders or weights – divers did not get their requested cylinders or requested fills (even after going over the list in person the night before)
-Nitrox cylinders labeled 33% ranged from 34% to 38%
-Boat left 1- 1.5 hours late (due to scrambling to fill cylinders at last minute)
-leaky valves, rotten or missing o-rings
-AOW instructor (there were two students in our group) showed up in the afternoon having already done so many dives (anchor setting as an AM divemaster) that he couldn't do the course dives.
-New boat captain on Sunday seemed to not know anchor setting procedure. It took 1.5 hour to set anchor and the divemasters looked ready to mutiny.
-New boat captain on Sunday got lost returning to port. (ultimately returning approximately 3 - 3.5 hours late).
-aborted wreck line was left drifting loose right next to the wreck line we were supposed to follow. I don't know whether our DM set it and changed it, or if it was from a previous dive group. One of our divers cleaned it up since people, including me, were getting snagged.
-crew/ divemasters seemed overworked to near exhaustion
-what looked to be a near total communication disconnect down chain of command.

On the positive side, on the third day there were only about 9 divers, the regular boat captain was back and all went smoothly.
The boat crew was obviously skilled and on all three days they remained alert, conscious of the bad bottom conditions, and ready to bail out divers drifting on the surface after emergency free ascents (which happened a couple times).

LeFlaneur:
SNIP
The Bad: Coastal Scuba of North Myrtle Beach

Now... the bad stuff
I hate to say it but all around our boat experience was pretty bad. We first booked with Dolphin Dive Charters which gets rave reviews on the speed and quality of their boat.
Unfortunately the legendary boat was not in the water and Dolphin waited until three days before the trip to tell us that.

After reorganization, we booked with Coastal Scuba. The last minute booking seemed to throw them.
On the whole, the final day was smooth but the following problems occurred on the first two days:

-Approximately 20 divers on board -- probably due to a re-booking of a blown out morning dive
-Boat did not have enough cylinders or weights – divers did not get their requested cylinders or requested fills (even after going over the list in person the night before)
-Nitrox cylinders labeled 33% ranged from 34% to 38%
-Boat left 1- 1.5 hours late (due to scrambling to fill cylinders at last minute)
-leaky valves, rotten or missing o-rings
-AOW instructor (there were two students in our group) showed up in the afternoon having already done so many dives (anchor setting as an AM divemaster) that he couldn't do the course dives.
-New boat captain on Sunday seemed to not know anchor setting procedure. It took 1.5 hour to set anchor and the divemasters looked ready to mutiny.
-New boat captain on Sunday got lost returning to port. (ultimately returning approximately 3 - 3.5 hours late).
-aborted wreck line was left drifting loose right next to the wreck line we were supposed to follow. I don't know whether our DM set it and changed it, or if it was from a previous dive group. One of our divers cleaned it up since people, including me, were getting snagged.
-crew/ divemasters seemed overworked to near exhaustion
-what looked to be a near total communication disconnect down chain of command.

On the positive side, on the third day there were only about 9 divers, the regular boat captain was back and all went smoothly.
The boat crew was obviously skilled and on all three days they remained alert, conscious of the bad bottom conditions, and ready to bail out divers drifting on the surface after emergency free ascents (which happened a couple times).

Why does this not surprise me?

Good ole Coastal Scuba. My first ocean dive ever was booked through them. After explaining to Cameron in person that I was only OW and needed a shallow dive, he booked me with a spearfishing trip 120' deep where everyone else was diving nitrox. :huh: Luckily I stopped by the shop the day before the dive to double check everything and someone else discovered the bungle and rescheduled me for the Sherman a day later than the original dive.

Their rental gear is the reason I invested in my own gear. No less than 3 divers on the boat had regulator failures, and my BC power inflator quit working during the first dive. I refused to dive the second dive.

Diving with anyone on July 4th would probably make me never choose them again.... It's just a bad time for anything at any beach, IMO.

Coastal Scuba has been hit or miss for me. In general, it's been a hit whenever it's not tourist season and a miss on holiday weekends and most of the summer. During the summer they run their 'milk money' trips over and over again. Sherman, Barracuda, Sherman, Barracuda..... It's also important to realize that you will probably be on the boat with folks who ended up in Myrtle Beach for the week and probably don't dive very often.

When they run 'advanced' trips, which are more like the normal trips in Morehead/Beaufort, they seem to attract a good group of divers and you can have a great trip.

That's been my experience anyway-
Rich

ScubaBones:
I dove Coastal Scuba last July 4th. After that, I swore I would never choose them again.

Hi Don! Where have you been hiding???

ScubaBones:
I dove Coastal Scuba last July 4th. After that, I swore I would never choose them again.

Hey Stranger,

Where have you been? :)

I would have to say that without a doubt Coastal Scuba is the poorest operation I have ever dove with.

I would not dive if they were my only choice.

Larry H. and I dove with Coastal about 2 weeks ago. Did the Sherman for 2 dives. We must have been lucky, It turned out OK. Mike, the DM on the boat was really informative about the history of the wreck and told us where to look for any kind of artifacts. We were only able to find the lead shot that was everywhere. It did turn out to be a rough trip as 4 people got sick and one poor guy was sick from the time we pulled away until we docked 6 hours later. I was one of the 4, although I kept everyhting inside me, but I did abort my 2nd dive. Maybe we were there before the tourist season.

The only complaint I had was, I left my favorite Tommy Bahama pull over on the boat. I called back expecting at least a call back, but nothing. I was not expecting to get it back, but a return call is the polite thing to do. I guess like most operations, once they got my money, I was not important. If you see the Mate or Capt. wearing a green TB pullover. IT IS MINE!

Gary

James, glad to see you had some fun diving but sorry to hear about this dive operation.

How far out are these wrecks and is the vis bad because they are inshore or just a bad day?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom