Trip report on Mike Ball and SOF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mutt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The following views and opinions are those of two divers who had approx. 30 dives total before going on the live aboards in mid-Oct. 2010. We had also never been on a live aboard dive boat before. We did the Mike Ball trip first and then literally got off the Spoilsport and transferred to the Spirit of Freedom. We only told the Mike Ball staff we were transferring to SOF the evening before the transfer and when we were done diving. Although the ground staff of SOF knew we had just gotten off Mike Ball (they picked us up for the transfer), we did not make it obviously known to the SOF boat staff we had just finished Mike Ball.

Quick summary: Both boats provided very good, fun diving. The customer service provided by Mike Ball’s crew was heads and shoulders above SOF. For us, it is like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Lexus or Cadillac….both get you to the objective comfortably, one just more so than the other.

Specifics:

MIKE BALL (3 day Cod Hole trip)

- name tags given out at office in Cairns (pick up point) with cabin #; I liked this because I could start to learn other divers’ names
- Tour director identified self as tour director when he met the group on Lizard Island
- cheese & fruit platter when we got on board and were going through the safety briefings; we were hungry because we hadn’t had time for breakfast before getting to the office for pick-up that morning
- Kleenex (facial tissue) available on dive deck and multiple places on board; I used these a LOT before and after my dives
- Water bottles had our name in permanent marker on them when we arrived on board
- Staff offered to help constantly and ALWAYS very pleasant about it
- Dive deck staff ALWAYS helped lift (BC & Tank) diver out of water at end of dive
- clean dry cabin towels provided without comment or hassle
- adequate seating for all guests at meals
- It didn’t seems like we were inconveniencing the staff with any request.
- The boat had ample amounts of all sizes available for rental gear.
- Free soft drinks (this may change in the future though, per Mr. Mike Ball himself)
- had a nice but too quick presentation/lecture on reef ecology that included reef & fish/coral identification
-held a photo contest
-marked hard to find things (like stonefish) with glow sticks nearby so we could see/find them

SOF (4 day Osprey Reef trip)

- Tour director id'ed as dive director when met at Lizard Island
- At boat orientation, divers were told no food or liquid in forward lounge/TV area, but staff always took their meals there.
-We had to take napkins from the meal table to blow our nose on the dive deck as there were no facial tissues to be found anywhere.
-Not enough room for everyone to sit and eat together in the eating area at noon, even though the boat was 2 guests short from full.
- No man overboard drill (Did do fire drill at end of trip on the way in but guests not notified of drill)
- When fresh cabin towels were requested, we were told "we don't usually do that"
- Divers had to ask for help--Staff stood around and watched guests struggle with gear or getting up the ladder after the dive (our BIGGEST complaint or problem w/ SOF staff)
-Water bottles were labeled with paper labels that staff on board acknowledged didn’t work because the labels rubbed off within the first day, but no one provided a permanent marker to rectify the problem. It was clear it was a problem for the staff person when we asked for a marker.
- Multiple times comments made about tips for staff
- Multiple times comments made of how staff would be inconvenienced if guests did something stupid
-Did not have adequate amount of rental gear so that everyone got the size they needed
- Dive staff in water generally did not demonstrate any interest in showing divers things/interesting fish they found (I clearly got the message they were doing the dive for their own enjoyment)
-On the night dive, I saw one dive guide go through the flashlight (aka torch) box and pick out the brightest lights for his group but he put the rejected dim ones back in the box for distribution to the rest of us. Unfortunately, I got one of the lights that started out bright but dimmed and went out ½ through the dive so my dive partner and I had to return to the boat early. I didn’t think it was safe to continue diving in case my partner’s light also went out. Upon return to the boat and voicing my frustration, I was told “you should have gotten one from the dive guide..they carry a spare.” THAT info would have been nice to have been shared at the pre-dive briefing.
-ran photos of the divers and dives on the big screen during meal times, which was fun
-did “live boating” which while exciting, in retrospect, the return to the SOF was unsafe in my opinion.

General comments:

Perhaps because of Mike Ball’s bad p.r. in the distant past, the company has focused more on customer service. Their superior customer service is evident. I have to admit, I was a bit leery about booking on Mike Ball because of the history in the distant past of charging certain nationalities more for the same trip, the “lost” divers afloat for 6+ hrs, and the whole Tina Watson honeymoon murder, but I wish they still offered a dive boat operation elsewhere in the Pacific/Asia because I’d gladly go again with Mike Ball.

On SOF we did “live boating” which while exciting, in retrospect, the return to the SOF was unsafe in my opinion. What the dive master meant by “live boating” was military style entry for a drift dive, one diver right after the other from the side deck while the SOF was slowly underway. The return to the boat entailed going to the tender (aka Zodiak, ribor small boat) or getting picked up by the tender and then letting go from the tender and grabbing onto the SOF’s long mermaid line/rope as it passed by. That rope passed through my hands very quickly and I almost got rope burned each time. One diver almost got his finger caught in a kink of the line...which certainly would have caused a severe injury if not amputation. In retrospect, it would have been much safer (even if slower and less efficient) to just have the tender take us back to the SOF.

My sense was that we did the “live boating” because the seas were unusually calm at Osprey Reef and we were able to dive sites not usually visited. I can’t imagine Mike Ball/Spoilsport doing anything similar to the “live boating”, but perhaps they do.

SOF went aground for 6-7 hrs at Osprey Reef two weeks before we were due to get on the boat. National authorities were not amused; the boat had to have its stabilizer repaired and couldn’t safely go to Osprey Reef without it. When we got off Mike Ball to go onto SOF, we were told by a company employee that the boat wouldn’t be going to Osprey Reef and that the company had tried to notify everyone that the destination had been changed. Flat out not true. There was no email to us notifying us of the change and no notification to the local Cairns diver who was booked on the trip because he wanted to go to Osprey. There was a near mutiny at the airport waiting for the flight to Lizard Island. Only when a few divers were going to cancel their trip did an employee call the office and find out the stabilizer was fixed and the trip to Osprey was a go. One diver had made 3 previous trips on SOF (so she obviously liked her previous trips w/ them) booked for Osprey Reef but hadn’t made it there due to weather.

CAUTION TO ALL WHO HAVE THEIR HEART SET ON DIVING OSPREY REEF: I don’t know the stats for Mike Ball’s boat Spoilsport making it to Osprey Reef, but for Spirit of Freedom, at least one person (from Canada) finally made it there on her 4th trip on SOF. One SOF employee said that if Cameron is the captain, he will at least attempt the crossing but the other captain won’t go if the crossing looks like it will be too rough.

Food on both boats was equally wonderful; accommodations were equally adequate with unlimited hot water for showers. The “usual” eat-dive-shower-eat-dive-shower-eat-dive-shower-sleep routine for 4-5 dives/day. Both had DVD’s of that trips dives and photos that could be purchased the last night.

Spirit of Freedom’s web site for post trip summary and photos is nicer than Mike Ball’s, which is curious because Mike Ball has a photo contest on each trip and those photos would be great to post on the web site.

Interestingly, when we shared our comparison observations with another more experienced diver on SOF, he was glad SOF staff "weren't always trying to help him" and did not want the extra help. Also he had never done the rapid "live boating" entry or return and thought it added to the fun of the trip.

In summary(again), if you’re a diver with 100+ dives, perhaps the small niceties of Mike Ball wouldn’t be a big deal, but for us, we would dive w/ Mike Ball again but not SOF.

Have sent you a PM in reply to your one, but will put the bulk of it here again for Scubaboard members.

Thank you SOOOO much for the kind words and this awesome report. It is really useful for us, because even though I have a lot of first hand experience with both boats, keeping up to date is very important. We also like to give unbiased accounts, so will use this for sure.

I will also take this up with the marketing manager of SOF as I was not aware you did not get to Osprey and this was the first I have heard of it. They certainly did not contact us to say the boat was broken and would not go there.

Its a shame that things like this happen, but it is also important for you guys out there to post things like this so we can act on them quicky and ensure it doesnt happen again.

I will let you know via this thread how SOF respond.

To clairfy, we did make it to Osprey Reef and the diving there was wonderful.

Thanks for the in-depth report. It's always nice to know what's going on when you're trying to justify another liveaboard. :)

SOF (4 day Osprey Reef trip)

- At boat orientation, divers were told no food or liquid in forward lounge/TV area, but staff always took their meals there.

That's really odd. I was on SOF around Easter, and they were always serving snacks in that area. That's also where the coffee machine is? (At least it was on my trip).

I vaguely recall them asking us not to eat there at meal time, as that's where the staff would eat.

- Divers had to ask for help--Staff stood around and watched guests struggle with gear or getting up the ladder after the dive (our BIGGEST complaint or problem w/ SOF staff)

Interestingly, when we shared our comparison observations with another more experienced diver on SOF, he was glad SOF staff "weren't always trying to help him" and did not want the extra help. Also he had never done the rapid "live boating" entry or return and thought it added to the fun of the trip.

That's probably a factor of how much experience people have. I personally hate it when people start touching my gear or try to help me up the ladder. I've done it so many times without help that when someone tries to help you, it tends to actually slow you down and make things harder for you. Many divers with a bit more experience feel the same way.

Out of interest, do you know what the split was between overseas and australian customers?

Pasc

I guess not all trips are alike. I have been on SOF 4 times, including the one that 'got stuck', and have always found the staff to be absolutely top notch. To think people were wanting to call a mutiny because it might not go to Osprey is interesting. It is diving, we are out there with nature. Its a rough passage, if the crew are not comfortable heading out, then its best not to go. I have been on another boat that were proudly stating that "SOF wouldn't go out in these conditions" and I really wish we hadn't. It was rough, it awful. Try getting back on the boat with the bow nearly pounding on your head. I was completely bruised up after the trip as it was so rough you couldn't even grip the ladder let alone climb up it. If a captain chooses not to take a boat out, there is usually a reason for it and Osprey is a long long way offshore. I'd much rather have my life in the hands of a captain who is more interested in passenger safety. Having said that 3 out of my trips we got out there.

Having said that, i'm sure the feedback will be useful to many so thank-you.

Just a bit of feedback on the situation here. Having been in contact with both the Mutt and also SOF management, it should be clarified that this trip DID make it to Osprey. I was also under the impression that it didn’t until I was informed by Mutt in a PM that it did.

Second SOF management are very distressed at the comments but also very appreciative of them.

It’s great to see support here for SOF who I think do an excellent job, but also as I said above to get great posts like these.

SOF management have actually called a meeting to discuss the comments made, and have also passed on a few comments.

The will only not go to Osprey if the captain feels conditions are so bad that it would be to the detriment of the customer or the boat. They actually travel more times to Osprey than Mike Ball who (due to the vessel type) often cancel or do not make it out there.

On board service I feel is on par, but again it does depend on the trip. It was interesting that there were a lot of repeat customers on the same trip (Mutt mentions a Canadian on their 4th trip). It’s unlikely someone would go 4 times if the boat was that bad! (Wasn't you MA was it??).

Either way, it is good to get feedback, but not to taint perspectives.

I will continue to pass on any feedback from SOF to this post if its relevant, but I can assure you they have taken it very seriously.

Kevin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

Not sure if this is a coincidence or just a routine employment opportunity but this ad was in the Cairns Post yesterday.

This is a tough industry to work in. Long hours/Low pay and demanding customers. Like any service industry , you are only as good as your current team. The best providers give top notch service, by having consistency on procedures, making sure everyone follows them, and then bringing in a select few of the best people they can find to keep thing improving. I've read tons of great reviews of Spirit of Freedom so it seems like this is their mode of operation.

TRIP DIRECTOR & DIVE INSTRUCTOR Spirit of Freedom is seeking a qualified & professional Dive Instructor for our luxury dive live aboard vessel operating to the Cod Hole & Coral Sea. Preference will be given to applicants with: Min 2 years experience in the dive industry Proven record of high standards of hospitality & professionalism Min PADI OWSI with Nitrox & Photography Coxswains or Rec Marine Drivers Licence Strong organizational skills Ability to work in all areas of vessel operation Send resume to: operations@spiritoffreedom.com.au

This ad appeared in Cairns Post on 30 Oct 10

It was interesting that there were a lot of repeat customers on the same trip (Mutt mentions a Canadian on their 4th trip). It’s unlikely someone would go 4 times if the boat was that bad! (Wasn't you MA was it??).

Kevin, no it wasn't me, I'm an Aussie. And perhaps used to a more casual customer service. To be honest, I've always preferred the old Undersea as the staff do not wait on you hand and foot and you were able to actually help with dinner and dishes and vote on where to go - you feel more a part of the adventure rather than just a paying guest. But understand others prefer the high service. SOF i find service way more than i need, so it sounds like Mike Ball might not be for me. Like someone mentioned earlier, I don't want to be helped out of the water, but i did find SOF were always there to grab my camera, not to mention putting my fins on and defogging my mask on the way in. I've never had that before! Not even on my other 3 SOF trips.

However there were a couple of points where i did agree and SOF should take note. The torches on SOF were terrible, many on my last trip had problems with them. Enough that I was actually going to purchase my own this week so I didn't need to rely on theirs. And a change of cabin towel mid-trip would be good, as they just don't dry properly in the downstairs cabins and end up pretty manky.

And to add my own two cents in, i was told i had to get a medical certificate and send it into the office before the trip - on board would not siffice. I arrive on board to find the office didn't even take the time to get the forms to the boat. I think there's an opportunity to improve the office to boat communications. With email these days it should not be too hard. I'll happily volunteer to go through their processes when i'm up there again in 2 weeks time if they allowed it. Even emailing a pdf booking form that needs to be emailed back is nonsensical. Why not a word or excel so we can actually fill it in electronically. Or why not have form set up on the website.

Tissues whilst a great idea, i would be concerned about them ending up on the reef. I'm happy to go without just in case. the point about customers doing dumb things and inconveniencing staff, i think its just a bit of humour, but deliberate so that you do remember what to do and don't put yourself in danger. But can understand that perhaps those from other countries, might not quite get that (the aussie sarcasm can be hard to adjust to) and therefore might not sound too good. I personally hope that doesn't change, i'm there on holiday, nothing wrong with a laugh.

Thanks for following up with SOF on the initial comments. I hope they do listen and make improvements where necessary - there is still some competition so they should not become too complacent.

I just thought I would post the reply SOF sent back to me personally. It is unedited. Hope this sheds some clarification.

My apologies for taking these couple of days to get back to you with a response. Your client's feedback has been reviewed and discussed - including owners, Chris & Phil, Operations Management, Boat Captains and myself. As I said earlier, thanks for sharing this with us - good
or bad we always want to know. We are fully aware of the dangers of complacency and have scrutinized each point. Some of the points are good and there is certainly room for improvement in regard to adding a few smaller 'nice' touches to the on board experiences. A few of the issues ... such as permanent markers, fresh cabin towels, tissues in the cabins and saloon (not back-deck), are all normally provided - so if standards slipped, it all has been brought to the attention of the crew this week. The crew services side of things is still a little mysterious as this is normally where we rate really highly, and the feedback forms from other guests were all positive. However we have no doubt that this was her/ their view point of the two comparative experiences.

I know that you are aware of our high standards of safety. While a Man Overboard may not have been conducted on this trip, all emergency drills on Spirit of Freedom are routinely run. The live drops follow our standard procedure which are attached for your info. The boat of course was not underway during the live drops, as suggested.

The Spirit of Freedom did go aground two weeks prior. All the authorities were duly informed and we did manage to complete that trip and continue to dive our guests. We were unable to go to the Coral Sea the following week, while we were awaiting stabiliser parts.

There was no problem on this ensuring trip (with these guests) as the repairs had been made, and as you have noted, we did go to Osprey Reef. A missed phone call and a misunderstanding, led to a crew member making an early call at the airport that might not be able to
go to Osprey. But this was never the case.

For your information I have also attached the letter that I have sent directly to your clients. We did feel that some of their comments required explanation of the situation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cairns Discount Dive And Snorkel Trips. Live Aboard And Day Trips To The Great Barrier Reef

The Spirit of Freedom mangement certainly has been responsive and that is good. It sounds like changes will be made and customer service emphasized again. I will not belabor points made previously.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom