Trip Report Palau 02/16-03/03

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I liked Neco. It was before all the new building I think and they were very professional with the Nitrox and analyzing the tanks. I have been hearing good reports about them lately. This was several years ago when I was at the PPR.
I like the little routine of staying at the West Plaza near Sam's, (walkable) and drinking beer at the Bottom Time. I like Kevin (the photog) so I just keep going back. I have made the same observations about the management as the original poster though, watching people with issues. I don't do liveaboards there because two dives a day is more my speed. I like to go out to different places for dinner, shop, etc.

You know, one thing, unless I am wrong, the boat captains work for different operators. I like Jonathan.

I could be happy just doing Blue Corner, Big Drop-Off, New Drop, and Blue Holes every single day. German Channel was good for macro and no current. Seriously, I could do just those three weeks in a row every day, because I just love the sharks and pelagic action. Every single time they are different dives, always changing. All the land tours, even jellyfish lake, takes away from what I would rather be doing.

I thought you all dove with Neco and were very happy?

AlaskaDiver:
There are so many other islands in the South Pacific.

Sorry for nitpicking--I can't restrain myself. Palau is not in the South Pacific.

...and Hawaii is not tropical!....had to get that in.

catherine96821:
...and Hawaii is not tropical!....had to get that in.
On the Big Island, you can experience the near majority of Climate Zones found on this Planet --often in one day if you really wanted to. Tropical is definitely one of them!:wink: (AFAIK, The only zones not found are Tundra, Polar Ice-Cap and Sahara-like Desert)

One more vote for the live aboard thing. Did the Big Blue Explorer and had an excellent experience. Live aboard is the only way to go in Palau IMO.

vladimir:
Sorry for nitpicking--I can't restrain myself. Palau is not in the South Pacific.
Palau is considered part of Micronesia. Micronesia, Polynesia and Melanisia (among other islands) make up the South Pacific. You weren't nitpicking, I am now. eyebrow

So many people rave about liveaboards, there must be something to it! I will eventually do it and then say....why didn't I do this sooner?

PNG might be the place. I have to be land based in Palau, so I can visit all my friends at the jail! I love storyboards.

catherine96821:
So many people rave about liveaboards, there must be something to it! I will eventually do it and then say....why didn't I do this sooner?

PNG might be the place. I have to be land based in Palau, so I can visit all my friends at the jail! I love storyboards.
How long do you spend at the jail? :06:

We went to the jail for storyboards after getting off the Aggressor, we had all day to kill before our flight. The storyboards had the name of the artist on the tag, but I really wanted to know was what they were in for ...

Damselfish, you will be sorry you asked.....

hahahah. yea, I am so nosey, I always get the whole story. I can hang out in a place like that for a couple hours. I think something is wrong with me. A lot of them are there for weed, believe it or not. They get to go home on the weekends though.
JB and I went in last time to the room where they have the carvings and you pass this dark creepy room on the right with bars. JB walked right past it and I said hey, "Jim look, don't you want to see the jail?" and as my eyes adjusted, a shadowy figure standing in the dark says indignantly: " I am NOT in Jail I am beiing held in temporary confinement!
The fact that you can get all into negotiating with them is pretty fun. Kinda cool that they are carving legends instead of making liscense plates. The money goes straight to their to their families. I like to ask, "well which one do you think is the best?" ...and then they will say well, "this guy is a mastercarver", etc, which is a big deal. There is a big range in the quality and detail of the carving. the legends are really interesting! ... The couple on the beach making love on a full moon in grass skirts, with the turtles coming ashore and laying eggs,.. the son with the fishbearing breadfruit tree..... If I had millions, I would buy them all! They place a printed copy of the legend on the back of the storyboard. Yea, I love going there. I take them gum, sunglasses and stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom