Trip Report - PR - Palmas Del Mar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toadie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I went diving in Puerto Rico Palmas Del Mar yesterday. I would say it was ok at best. The reefs were so so, same with the fish and there weren't a huge amount of them.

I booked with Sea Ventures and they were pretty good. Felix the DM was excellent, the boat was nice and there were only 6 of us so no complaints on the crowds lol. I was planning on trying Fajardo but the other divers mentioned that what they had just seen was way better so I think I'm going to call this more of a vacation than a dive trip.

Keep in mind that it isn't peak season so that may make a difference. :idk:

I tried reaching out to West Divers but they never got back to me.

toadie,
is there any way you could dive desecheo island while you are there?
i was there this past august and the diving was good.
i was on the s/v juliet and we stayed most of our time on mona island.
regards,

Well I didn't give up and asked here at the resort about diving locally and I guess it's really the down season because there aren't any boats going out here in Fajardo lol. It's not really a big deal just thought it might be nice to get some diving in while I'm here.

I also just noticed that I left my safety sausage on the boat in Palmas because the DM asked me to give it to the other dive pair to help out :shakehead: Oh well, next dive trip is end of January, I'll be back to myself by then lol.

Toadie, would you mind giving your impression of the operator? Any red flags from the crew, DMs, or captain? Was the sea ventures boat set up well in terms of safety equipment, space for people and gear, quality briefing/debriefing and general good vibes?

I was thinking of taking a few friends diving in Fajardo in a couple weeks and wondered if Sea ventures was worth looking into. We're not terribly concerned about a "make or break" diving experience, we just want to get wet and not die if something goes pear shaped. :D

Sure no problem. Overall I would recommend them. The boat is nice, well set up, and Felix the DM was very concerned with safety and I think a great DM. My only issue was with the office and here's why...

Getting my business they were very friendly and outgoing, after, not so much. Here's a couple things that made sense after...

1. They wouldn't just book a flat rate discounted price and that seemed odd. Originally I had contacted them for 10 dives and was told this: (I even offered to pay up front)

Morning 2 tank dives go for $119 including gear- or $109 for diver's who only need us to supply tanks and weights.
We have a discount dive program for divers who will be diving with us multiple days:

First day- regular price
2nd day- 10% off
3rd day- 15% off
4th day -20% off
5th day(or more) 25% off

2. Everything went very well but after the first day I called in to see what was going on for the rest of the week and they said they'd call me, which they never did. I'm assuming that it was because they didn't have enough divers. I called back though on Wednesday and asked them about diving and getting the safety sausage I lent them back and once again never a call.

I know it's not a big deal and I'm probably being petty but I keep my word, I'd like for a business to do the same.

Overall if I wanted to get wet and I was there I would probably use them.

Hope that helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom