Trip Report - Puerto Morelos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebag

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Awesome dive trip. Dove there after 4 days of diving in Cozumel. Dove with DivePuertoMorelos. Website is divepuertomorelos.com. Excellent operation with the coolest and best divemaster I've dove with. His name is Jan, who is a partner in the operation. He took me on an afternoon dive and I was the only diver. We did the C-56 wreck. He had a new boat and gave an excellent dive briefing. Descended and ascended on a buoy line. There was moderate drift. Saw 5-6 eagle rays, southern stingray, brown spotted eel and many other fish around the wreck. Went to 87 feet for 38 minutes. Water temp was 75 degrees. Was OK with 3 mill wetsuit. I went to the dive shop afterward and saw his equipment for clients. Very new equip in excellent condition. I had my own equipment though. The next afternoon we did my first cenote dive. The cenote is close to Puerto Morelos, about 10 miles away called Tres Bocas. ("3 mouths" in english). Jan took myself, and another diver in a nice suburban through the jungle. His boat captain wheel barrelled our equip to the cenote and we had a very nice walk to the cenote with Jan pointing out various orchids, trees harvesting chicle, and other plant life. Again, very thorough dive briefing, he provided lights and kept his eye on us throughout the dive. With Jan's knowledge of the cenotes, reefs, and local animal and plant life, it was probably one of the best dive experiences I've ever had. Jan is also very interesting, informative and educational. For personal service this is a 1st class operation. Profile on cenote dive was 81 ft for 43 minutes. Saw the largest stalagite column in the area, many other stalagtite/stalagmite and ribbon formations. It was really a spirtual experience. I felt very safe and comfortable for my first cenote dive. I used 5 lbs of weight in the fresh water about 1/2 of weight for salt water in a 3 mill. Water temp was 74 degrees. I got a little chilly at the end of the dive, but not bad for my 6th day of diving. I also dove a reef dive at Octopus Garden. This reef looked like a wildflower garden. Saw no octopus, but saw many corals and fish varities. Healthy young reef with many sea fans, searods, seawhips, elkhorn coral and starcoral. Fish life was fairy basslets, barred hamlets, tobaccofish, squirrelfish, glasseye snapper, young parrotfish, trunkfish, grey and queen angels, spanish hogfish, damselfish, wrasses, snapper, multiple schools of pork fish, french & white & bluestriped grunts, trumpetfish, butterfly fish, rock beauty, southern stingray, spotted morays and sea stars (one that was maybe 2 feet across), and many lobsters. Dive profile was 47 ft for 54 minutes.

We stayed at the Paradisus Riviera 5 minutes away from Puerto Morelos. It's a 5+ star very nice large all inclusive with excellent food. However, next time I want to stay at a smaller place or condo in Puerto Morelos. Its a small fishing village, only starting to develop. It really seems you get the local culture there and the locals are very friendly. Divepuertomorelos owners Jan and Cat said they can help find good lodging accomodations locally. Totally laid back compared to touristy Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. I've always loved Cozumel, but now I like this place better. It has reef, wreck and cenote diving. It halfway between Cancun and Playa.

Great trip report. I love the cenotes, they are really beautiful.
Pto. Morelos is a great little town. I was there in March '02 You might like the hotel I stayed at, Ojo de Agua. A very small hotel, that was really inexpensive. I think it was $50 per night f/ the room($25 each) The room was not fancy but clean & comfortable. It had a king bed, TV, no phone in room, very nice(recently remodeled)bathroom & a balcony w/ an ocean view. We used the dive shop that was at the hotel, Diving Expeditions. There is a restaurant on the property and we were shocked at how inexpensive it was. The bartenders & waiter were so nice & went out of their way to make sure everything was perfect. There is a small pool, no swim up bar but the regular bar is very close. Non motorized water sports & a beautiful beach. The reef was straight out from the hotel & we were able to shore dive. The one thing that amazed me was how many dogs were on the beach. We strolled up & down the beach often & only once did I see dog poop.

Too cool. Sounds like my kind of place. Thanks for sharing. I will keep it in mind for a future trip.

Thanks for the report.

Thanks for share your experience. Next time i`m at the area will look after this Jan divemaster. Regards.

They also have some of the better prices. Great review.

Thanks for sharing

Good stuff. Thanks for the good read and info

Gee divebag - now I'm gonna have to get Jan that new wetsuit he wants! We really appreciate the feedback, it makes all the work worthwhile. For Scubaboard divers we are happy to help with accom and any other info you need for your dive trip. Next week we're working on underwater scenes for a German movie being shot here. See you soon.
Cat

Hey divebag, thanks for the report. I will be there in April so will look up this dive shop. Sounds great and reasonable prices,.

Puerto Morelos is still running under the radar screen. I have a feeling it's going to take off in the next few years, but I hope in doesn't spoil the local culture that is still predominant there.

Back
Top Bottom