Trip Report: Raja Ampat on the Samambaia March 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Premo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In March 2018 I spent 7 nights on the Samambaia diving in Raja Ampat. So far this has been my favorite livaboard. The Samambaia is a beautiful wooden ship. It’s very spacious and every detail is thought of. Everywhere on the ship you find little place to relax and enjoy. It’s no problem to get away from the others if you want some alone time. The ship also has a separate camera room. Cabins are as well very spacious and nicely designed. The crew goes out of his way to make you feel at home. There is nothing you have to do yourself, they take care of everything. The food has been excellent. Both for lunch and dinner the food was served. The owner Gian Paolo spends a lot of time on the Samambaia diving and that certainly also helps to keep the standard and quality very high.

The diving itself was amazing. I wasn’t sure if Raja Ampat was something for me. I knew the reefs are beautiful but I like to see lots of big sharks. I certainly missed the big sharks but the reefs itself were amazing. So colorful and the biodiversity is stunning. On top we had some beautiful Manta encounters. We were total 13 divers split up in 4 groups. The guides did a fantastic pointing things out especially all the pygmy seahorses. We didn’t experience much current on this trip so all the diving was very easy and relaxing. Sometimes I wished we had a bit more current because my favorite dive of the trip we had a good current and the fish life was just spectacular. All the diving was done from two pangas, 3 dives a day plus a night dive on most days. If you have a chance to go on the Samambaia I cannot recommend it enough. Here is a short video of the trip, I hope you enjoy:

Nice video! We are going to Raja Ampat for our 1st Indo trip in January 2019 on the Samambaia, can't hardly wait!

Nice video! We are going to Raja Ampat for our 1st Indo trip in January 2019 on the Samambaia, can't hardly wait!
It was my first Indo trip as well, I'm sure you are going to enjoy it.

Great video
We did Komodo last year on the Samambaia and had a great time and your right the boat is fantastic; it’s the nicest liveaboard we’ve ever been on and I love the fact that it’s a small number of cabins.

We’re currently looking to do Raja Ampat next year but unfortunately no availability on Samambaia which is such a shame but I think Paolo’s vision and hard work is paying off much to my annoyance in regards to availability!
Happy & Safe Travels
VKE

Thanks for the report, I'm really looking forward to my trip on the Samambaia in November. First time Indonesia as well, very exciting!
Just wondering, on the pictures the boat interior looks really luxurious, is this just photoshop or does it really look that good in real life?

I was thinking Samambaia too but almost no availability until 2020 for Raja Ampat.

Diver2fun - the boat really is very good; built with care and love and looked after. You’ll have a fantastic time and I’m sure you’ll enjoy being on the boat - I’m a little envious!

Dogbowl - if you see a slot then I’d jump at it if I were you; trust me you won’t regret it!

Happy & Safe Travels
VKE

Thanks for the report, I'm really looking forward to my trip on the Samambaia in November. First time Indonesia as well, very exciting!
Just wondering, on the pictures the boat interior looks really luxurious, is this just photoshop or does it really look that good in real life?

The boat looks very much the same in real life. They take very good care of it :)

Back
Top Bottom