Trip report Sosua Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDave65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Recently returned from a short dive trip to Sosua, Dominican Republic. I've been there several times, and while the diving may not compare to some of the best places in the Caribbean, I always have a blast there!!

This trip I dove with a new dive shop there, Superior Diving Sosua, and the owners are a couple from the U.S., Chuck and Wendy. They have a great shop in a nice hotel (the Sosua Bay Hotel) right on the beach, and it is a class act. They offer all the usual stuff, intro to diving classes, training and certification up to AOW, and their prices are very reasonable ($70 for a two tank dive, plus rental). There is a great wreck there, the Zingara, in about 110 ft of water that I really like to dive on, and an assortment of reef and wall dives that are pretty decent.

On my most recent trip I was discussing the ever present lionfish invasion and I was informed that it was legal to spearfish them with scuba grear. ALLRIGHT!!!! Their divemaster, Anoldo, showed me how to use a speargun and down we went to assasinate the little b_stards!! What a hoot!! Most fun I've had diving in quite a while.

If you're heading to Sosua, I highly recommend Superior Diving in Sosua and if you've never done any spearfishing before, I think you'd really get a kick out of it, esp. since we are helping to eradicate the hated lionfish!!

For tourists, I think they offer the intro to scuba experience for around $65 and the full cert for around $350, a pretty good deal.

Enjoy!!

Attachments

• spear1.JPG
    spear1.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 159
  • spear2.JPG
    spear2.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 151
The North shore, right next to Puerto Plata.

Sosua is the bay between Puerta Plata and Cabarete. It has small reefs but with some life. The people aren't aware of the dangers the lionfish are to the sealife as they are large and numerous. I went with HippoCampo which is owned by a Britt. The equipment wasn't the best but the DM is Austrian and very professional. I think Diwa Dominicana is best.

I like the 80/80 way to think of the Dominican Republic at this time of year. It's always in the low 80's for air temp and the water temp is always around 80 also. It beats the hell out of dry suit snow diving for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom