Trip Report: St. Thomas USVI, Coki Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtpwils

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just returned from a Caribbean cruise that included a stop in St. Thomas. Before leaving on our trip we arranged to dive with Coki Beach Dive Club but after going I found that arranging it before hand really isn't necessary; although I'm sure they appreciate knowing that you are coming, particularly if you are a larger group.

After departing the cruise ship we had to walk a short distance through the shopping area to get to a "taxi" which is basically an open air multi bench wagon with a roof. It costs $10 pp and takes about 15-20 minutes to get to Coki beach. Although it sounds rickety, the vehicle isn't and it's appropriate because the drive is very scenic - as is the beach and diving.

We found Coki Beach to be a quiet and pretty beach with very nice water and very small surf. It was perfect for us because we could do some shore dives and the rest of the family had a great day on the beach - a lot of seargent majors and some naso tangs very close to shore. Aside from the dive op, which is basically a small hut that rents scuba and snorkel gear and gives guided dives, lessons, etc. there is food available from the little beach restaurant and there is a fresh fruit drink vendor also. The food was good, we didn't try the fruit drinks.

There are two reefs very near the beach, the "east reef" and the "west reef". They have guided dives for $45 and they discount you the cost of the taxi, making a guided dive $35. They charge $10 for air/weights - not sure on other equipment. We brought our own dive gear so I don't know what condition their dive gear is in but my wife and younger daughter wanted to snorkel and rented snorkel set ups from them. The snorkels were "dry type" that were, well.... not. The purge valves leaked making them unusable. My daughter and I gave the family ours from our dive bag but I'm figuring that Coki Beach Dive Club could have come up with working ones had we asked.

As for the actual diving: When we arrived they were just about to start a guided dive and my daughter felt rushed so I dove on the east reef with Steve guiding me and an insta-buddy while my daughter sat this one out. The reef runs directly East-West and there is a small rock jetty on the east end of the beach. Steve was a good guide, and made sure to point out some nice life. He did handle some of the creatures, like a shrimp, pin cushion and sea cucumber but did it very gently and, after letting the shrimp crawl on your on hand or arm, put it back very gently in the same place. I thought that his style was appropriate but if you are the type of person that views that differently I would speak up before diving with one of their guides.

My daughter and I did another dive alone. The site had very little current that day. The reef runs exactly East-West and there is a stone jetty on the east end, making a perfect "gas station" to know when to turn South to hit the beach. It couldn't be an easier navigation. The reef was nice and healthy with a lot of nice fish and corals. My absolute favorite on the dive was a large long-horned cow fish (sentimental favorite from a reef tank I had). Also viewed were a lot of feather dusters, Christmas tree worms, a shrimp, a crab, sea cucumber, pin cushion, a pair of yellow spotted moreys, and a lot of corals. Unfortunately we had to leave shortly after the last dive and I didn't have time to write in my logbook. Between that and the fact that it's been a week and a half since then, with much going on in between, that I simply don't remember much more than that.

Given the opportunity I would definately dive there again.

Back
Top Bottom