Trip Report: Tech Training: Pirates Cove Dive Center, Samana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Michelle (Muggsy) and I spent a week at Pirate’s Cove Dive Center in Samaná, Dominican Republic. The purpose of our trip was doing our technical dive training. We did the TDI advanced nitrox, decompression procedures, and extended range courses with our instructors, Uwe Rath and John Chatterton. Also along for the ride was another SB’er [user]Daylonious[/user] who took photos, and hopefully will post more photos and stories.

We each brought our own: Hollis Aluminum Backplate (lightweight for travel), doubles wings, spools, reels, lift bags, 3 sets of regulators (one set specially for deco mixes), and of course - masks, fins, snorkels, etc.

While I’ll highlight some of the skills that we completed in the training, let me start off by saying – If I miss something – please don’t assume we didn’t do it. Swimming without a mask was a skill required, but not exactly a highlight IMO. Each day, we performed several drills, buddy breathing, and other exercises to strengthen our diving skills, and preparedness for emergency both on the surface and at depth. Chatterton also pulled an occasional OOA, or free flow to see how we handled unexpected situations.

Day 1: Our instructors just wanted us to dive with the doubles, and tweak anything that needed to be adjusted. We just did 2 “fun” dives, with Uwe and he watched our form and skill in the water for later review. First we dived along a wall (max depth 82 FSW) by Cayo Leventado, a small Island in Samaná Bay. This was followed by a shallow wreck site a small passenger ferry. After lunch, we began reviewing the course materials for TDI’s Advanced Nitrox course. My personal opinion of the Advanced Nitrox is: It’s the same as basic nitrox. For the most part; it’s really pretty easy to grasp. Most of the course is review of PPO2’s, Boyle, Dalton, and the math and science behind diving in general. Personally I think it’s not much more than basic Nitrox, however, the MOD’s for advanced nitrox mixes are all above 99 FSW, and there are considerations for the gear which aren’t mandatory for mixes < 40%.

Day 2: We did 2 training dives with a single stage bottle. We both carried 40 Ft3 Aluminum bottles. Both dives were within recreational limits, and we didn’t switch gases… just carried the tanks. On both of these dives we shot lift bags, and did our 3 minute safety stop with the lift bags attached to our spools. The dive shop offered us a variety of spools to try out; personally I preferred my DSS Stainless Finger spool. I though it worked really well from depths of 50 FSW even… After lunch, we sat with Uwe and completed our advanced nitrox exam.

Day 3: We got blown out from diving… So we completed the coursework for Deco Procedures, and Extended Range, and took the final exams for each. Both courses are well laid out, and the course work is again a lot of formulas and our old friends, Boyle and Dalton. Part of this day was planning our extended range decompression dive to 180 FSW which would be on Day 4 (of diving – day 5 now because of wind from Gustav), and would be the “pinnacle” dive of the course.

Day 4: We did 2 training dives. This time we each carried 2 stage bottles (Al 40’s) (We used a set of regulators from the dive shop for the 2nd bottles), shot lift bags, and did a gas switch at 50 FSW. Our instructors had us perform some valve drills, air share, buddy checks, bubble checks, and a whole plethora of teamwork activities to re-enforce skills required for deep diving.
After Lunch, we reviewed our dive plan for the 180 foot dive, including our gas plan for both back gas, and deco gas. Our plan was to dive to 180 for 20 minutes of total bottom time (on Air) and to use 34% and 53% Nitrox (analyzed mixes) for decompression. We were expected to plan our dive, deco stops, gas switch points, and gas consumption.

Day 5: We set out for “Uwe’s Mountain” a deep reef site, where the reef begins at 120 FSW. We dropped anchor, and followed the line down to 120 FSW. We all group, and proceed over the side of the slope, and continued deeper. Prior to this, my deepest dive was to 121 FSW. As we passed 130 FSW – I noticed that I wasn’t continuously clearing my ears, as I generally have to do at shallower depths. I can see how it’s really easy to blow past your planned depth, as I can usually feel a change in depth by my ears, but as we approach 150 FSW my ears aren’t much of a depth gauge for me anymore. I can feel the “tunneling” of my vision set in, and as we pass 160 FSW, I begin to feel pretty narced. We continue to swim down the slope, and about a minute later, we reach our planned depth of 180 FSW! Narcosis… Yep. It’s pretty severe at this point. I can’t say that I heard any voices (except for that of Chatterton laughing in the background), but I can say that narcosis at this depth is REAL, and it’s as numbing as sitting in the dentist’s chair. We explore the reef at 180 FSW for a minute or two, when Uwe presents Michelle with a “puzzle” of sorts (a nut and bolt) to assemble, and John hands me a slate with some math equations on it. I have to admit that 8+4-6+5 took me about 20 seconds to “solve” and 14 x 3 was definitely a “brain buster” momentarily. I was able to do the math, but it did require a lot more time to focus on the “task at hand” and I really had to think about it. The time on the bottom FLEW by, as did the back gas in my tanks (the digital pressure gauge on my air integrated Atom2 was dropping at an incredible rate compared to a dive several ATA’s less), and about 5 minutes later… it was time to begin our ascent. We made our way back to the anchor line, and switched to our 34% nitrox at 110 FSW, and continued on our way up the line. At 60 FSW, we switched gas to our 53% nitrox, and continued up making our decompression stops along the way. I used my Oceanic Atom 2 computer, and used the gas switching functions as well. The deco stops that were assigned to me on the computer were slightly less than my plan, but we planned for a square profile. However, I’ll say that the Atom 2 makes a good multi gas computer (it doesn’t do trimix though) I was very impressed! All together, the total runtime for the dive was about 55 minutes.

Day 6: Las Galeras (Playa Rincon) – We ventured out with some local fishermen to check out some potential “new” sites for Pirate’s Cove to dive. We take a small “banana” boat out to a pinnacle about 2 miles off shore. This site was INCREDIBLE! I hit a max depth of 161 FSW. This was a gorgeous reef site, great for technical dives or just recreation diving. Blue Blue water and pristine reefs! Our second dive here was also breathtaking. This was a shallow site, with amazing coral formations, critters, and a wall.

Recap: I thought the course was great! The TDI books were well written, and simple enough for most divers to understand. I like how the TDI books were more like lectures or conversation, rather than a boring college lecture. I found they were easy to read, and I wanted to sit and read them. I’ll say that honestly that the information that I’ve been reading on SB made it really easy for me to feel confident and prepared for the course, even before I read the first book. The books reinforced the positive information that I learned here on the board.
When I told some of my SB friends that we were doing “Extended Range” they asked “Why extended range, and not trimix?” – Well… John suggested that we do extended range FIRST. Extended range requires a really deep air dive. John’s take on it (sure – listen to the guy who has dived to 240 FSW on air) was that if we “extend our air diving range” through this course and under the supervision of our instructors, that ultimately it makes us better, more confident divers. I now feel very confident that I can make a 150 – 180 FSW dive (on air) no problem… It’s within my experience. Going right to trimix would have skipped the experience of the deep dive narcosis and other effects of Nitrogen on a deep air dive. I now have a baseline for comparison IF/when we take trimix training. I can’t say enough great things about Pirate’s Cove, Uwe, John Mattera, and of course JC. I feel very fortunate to have such an incredible learning experience with such experienced divers!

I should of course mention that we stayed at the Bahia Principe Cayacoa (arranged for us by Pirate’s Cove) which was a great vacation in itself. The hotel is all inclusive, and only a few short minutes from the dive shop. The hotel is on Samaná Bay, and has beaches, pools, copious amounts of food and drink, internet service (for a fee), and water sports. One thing… If you’re a guy… Don’t forget to bring pants (just ask Señor Pantalones aka Daylonious).

Hey! Glad to hear you guys made it back okay, but I think you accidentally left your hurricane attractor on! Congratulations on your course, and how cool to take it from someone famous! How do you think that the training has improved your diving?

I was there with Howard, Muggsy, John and Carla and although the diving itself was so/so (mainly due to Gustav stirring up everything) - it was great to get to know everyone and we made the best of it during our meals and surface intervals.

Learning from John and Uwe was a great experience. It improved my technical diving by teaching me how to better plan for the dive itself. John and Uwe were constantly asking us "so what happens if it's cold, if there's a current and you're having to exert yourself, if you lose a stage bottle, you go deeper than expected, stay longer, etc.."

You learn that there is no one dive plan. You start with a basic plan and then plan for contingencies...

John is obviously a wealth of diving information and hilarious (and sometimes tragic) dive stories. He knows how to deliver a good story and we spent many hours over dinner listening to him describe his various encounters with untrained u/w cameramen, sharks, wrecks and the like.

It sounds like vis was very good. What were the water temps like, and what kind of exposure protection did you use?

Sweet! Congratulations to all of you!

Does this mean you will no longer dive with us recreational divers? :(

Water temp was about 84 at the surface, 78 at 200 feet. ;-)

Wore 3ml and hood for the deep stuff, otherwise 3ml by itself was more than enough.

I'll dive with Rec or Tech divers - but I have to admit, doubles and a stage tank is really satisfying to me.

I still need to experiment with tank stage clipping tho - since I use a camera rig 99% of the time, next time I'm going to try clipping the tank(s) off behind me (aka cave style) in order to leave my hands free for operating the camera and pointing strobes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom