Trip Report: Tech Training: Pirates Cove Dive Center, Samana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey! Glad to hear you guys made it back okay, but I think you accidentally left your hurricane attractor on! Congratulations on your course, and how cool to take it from someone famous! How do you think that the training has improved your diving?

I think the training has improved my diving by making me even more acutely aware of my buddy (Michelle) before and during a dive. We spent time doing extensive pre-dive checks. Bubble checks on the dives, and confirmation with each other before switching gases. Also - John's "curve balls" that he threw at us, made us more conscious of others, and tested our abilities to identify and deal with real situations (like free-flowing regs) on deep (or shallow even) dives. I also feel that my understanding of dive physiology / decompression theory / and implementation of dive plans and gas planning is much more comprehensive than before.

So what was it like to learn under John?

John is a great teacher. It's not just that he's a great diver with an obvious love for diving, but that his knowledge and understanding of decompression, mixed gasses, dive equipment, and mistakes that divers have made over the years is just much more dynamic than most people in the diving industry. I am honored to be able to call John my friend, and equally as honored to be mentored by such an accomplised diver.

It sounds like vis was very good. What were the water temps like, and what kind of exposure protection did you use?

Some dives the viz was fantastic, and on others it was fair (but still good by many's standards). The temps ranged from a high of 84 F to a low of 79 F. I wore a Pinnacle 3mm elastoprene merino suit. I was very comfortable.

Does this mean you will no longer dive with us recreational divers? :(

You dive? :popcorn:

First of all, thanks or the nice feedback.

I had already been diving with Howard & Michelle, and thought they were rock solid recreational divers. They were comfortable enough at recreational depths for Howard to be an accomplished photographer, and for Michelle to be a skilled spearfisherman (woman). They had already mastered basic skills like bouyancy, trim, gas management, and navigation.

What they wanted was to take their diving deeper and stay longer, which for them was a very reasonable goal. They studied the textbooks prior to the classes, asked a lot of questions, and worked hard to be prepared. For any diver to make a jump from 120 feet to 180 feet with stages is a big move, so there are both physical as well as mental challenges that need to be dealt with.

Daylon added an additional dynamic to the group. He was recently certifed in Extended Air, and wanted to work at acquiring some experience.

In my opinion, it is important to acquire some deep air diving experience (to depths like 180') before moving on to Trimix. Most important is that it forces divers to learn the skill of focus. It also gives them time to get more comfortable with the basic deep gear before moving into really unforgiving water with all those increased helium responsibilities.

It was a pleasure to have all of these guys at Pirates Cove, and as students. They didn't do any complaining about dodging the hurricanes, either.

Cheers

JC

Mainly due to his adroit huevo flinging abilities....:D

Pics posted on my www site - just go to daylon.us and click on slideshows, then samana to start...

Howard - I expect a check from Hollis soon! :wink:

D.

Daylon added an additional dynamic to the group. ....

HowardE:
I think the training has improved my diving by making me even more acutely aware of my buddy (Michelle) before and during a dive. We spent time doing extensive pre-dive checks. Bubble checks on the dives, and confirmation with each other before switching gases. Also - John's "curve balls" that he threw at us, made us more conscious of others, and tested our abilities to identify and deal with real situations (like free-flowing regs) on deep (or shallow even) dives. I also feel that my understanding of dive physiology / decompression theory / and implementation of dive plans and gas planning is much more comprehensive than before.

Those are some great takeaways. Congrats to both of you on on your accomplishment! (see, I TOLD you I would read it, Howard)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom