Trip Report, Turneffe Island Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ohhh, now I get it.

I took "plain" to mean "regular" as opposed to "pure."

Plain or regular - O2?

Folks, I am sure I am missing some really great in-jokes :)

As for gas info, I just meant to say that for that one dive, I was diving on the 22 mix that everyone else had, and sorry if I used the wrong technical language there. But to get back to the real point of the story, I liked diving with Nick. If anyone wants to take a course at TIR, I think they'll be in good hands.

On the management couple on site: its Nick and Vanda now, and I think they're doing a fine job.

I imagine you're talking about air, which has approx. 21% oxygen. If you were to dive to 130ft on pure oxygen ... well, you wouldn't make it. Your profile says you have 100-199 dives, so I imagined you'd know this.

For the BH, I like to do a tri mix of 21% oxygen, 78% nitrogen and 1% whatever. :D

I'm surprised Matt and Morag are gone already. They didn't even last two years. When I was there summer before last, they'd been on the job for only a couple of months and Matt was telling me that this was his dream job. Oh, well.

For whatever reason(s), TIR chews through managers. The staff told me that a few years ago, a married couple arrived on a Saturday to be the new assistant managers. By Wednesday, they had been fired and were back on the boat to the mainland! Reportedly, they had sold all their earthly possessions when they had taken the job and weren't too happy about returning to... nothing.

The Belizean staff, on the other hand, most of them have been there for many years.

From what I know of it I wouldn't work at TIR, unless I had an enforceable fixed term contract of adequate length. And probably not even then.

For the BH, I like to do a tri mix of 21% oxygen, 78% nitrogen and 1% whatever. :D

I'm surprised Matt and Morag are gone already. They didn't even last two years. When I was there summer before last, they'd been on the job for only a couple of months and Matt was telling me that this was his dream job. Oh, well.

For whatever reason(s), TIR chews through managers. The staff told me that a few years ago, a married couple arrived on a Saturday to be the new assistant managers. By Wednesday, they had been fired and were back on the boat to the mainland! Reportedly, they had sold all their earthly possessions when they had taken the job and weren't too happy about returning to... nothing.

The Belizean staff, on the other hand, most of them have been there for many years.

We were just there in November 2010 and Matt and Morag were too ... I guess it as the Turneffe Managers Turn. Seems to be the norm not the exception there, but still a fabulous place. And like you said, the local staff has been there for a long time, so it was good to see some of the staff upon our return.

Back
Top Bottom