Trip Review: Tres Pelicanos (3Ps) & Casa Mexicana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, it's interesting to see the twists and turns as this thread has evolved.

It began as a simple report from a member about 3-Ps and moved into discussions of dive masters intentionally engaging in tactics to get clients to blow through their tanks quickly (you know... dive masters/guides wanting to get to those cantinas more quickly) and even discussion of perceptions that 3-Ps Dive Master Jorge probably cannot see little stuff because he has vision problems and gets cold easily because he's lean.

I may be way off base here, but I'm not seeing how any of these assumptions, perceptions, and conspiracy theories really fit with the original post. Maybe a thread specifically intended to address Cozumel assumptions, perceptions and conspiracy theories would be a more appropriate place to kick this stuff around. I'm not sure assumptions, perceptions and conspiracy theories are fair to dive masters like 3-Ps Jorge.

I can't help but wonder if any of you folks who posted this stuff have ever asked Jorge if he's going blind or having issues with getting cold because he is a tri-athlete with less body fat than most of us? Unless you've had a conversation with Jorge about this crap and know what you're saying is fact, what you're saying isn't really fair to Jorge. I'll apologize if I'm on the wrong track here, but I encourage folks to give some thought to what they're saying before they post. I realize I'm probably offending some 'assumption' experts here.

For what it's worth, I dive a bifocal mask (I'm basically blind without glasses) and the cost isn't really that high.

-AZTinman

It began as a simple report from a member about 3-Ps and moved into discussions of dive masters intentionally engaging in tactics to get clients to blow through their tanks quickly (you know... dive masters/guides wanting to get to those cantinas more quickly) and even discussion of perceptions that 3-Ps Dive Master Jorge probably cannot see little stuff because he has vision problems and gets cold easily because he's lean.

I may be way off base here, but I'm not seeing how any of these assumptions, perceptions, and conspiracy theories really fit with the original post. Maybe a thread specifically intended to address Cozumel assumptions, perceptions and conspiracy theories would be a more appropriate place to kick this stuff around. I'm not sure assumptions, perceptions and conspiracy theories are fair to dive masters like 3-Ps Jorge.

I can't help but wonder if any of you folks who posted this stuff have ever asked Jorge if he's going blind or having issues with getting cold because he is a tri-athlete with less body fat than most of us? Unless you've had a conversation with Jorge about this crap and know what you're saying is fact, what you're saying isn't really fair to Jorge. I'll apologize if I'm on the wrong track here, but I encourage folks to give some thought to what they're saying before they post. I realize I'm probably offending some 'assumption' experts here.

For what it's worth, I dive a bifocal mask (I'm basically blind without glasses) and the cost isn't really that high.

-AZTinman

I have never spoken to Jorge about his vision, but I have about how cold he gets. Likely we were comparing notes because I get cold too. (I was just there this past week and dove with a full 3mm suit + a 3/5mm hooded vest on most dives) When I've been out with Jorge, either with BA or 3P, the running joke was how much neoprene he puts on for each dive and how much he wears at the SI while sitting in the sun. I like Jorge as a person and enjoy chatting with him about bikes and his latest Tri. If I see him at an SI, I will always go up to him and say, "hello," and see how he's doing.

I agree with whoever wrote that Jorge can be a polarizing DM. He's a bit like black licorice - many either love him or hate him. Little in between.

It's like any other discussion between people; it drifted. I don't see the problem.

It's like any other discussion between people; it drifted. I don't see the problem.

It's already been split off once. It would be interesting to see how many times it ways it could be split by past and future posts. Does anyone know what the record is for thread tangents?

Hmmmm... no problem with a drift in the discussion that specifically trashes a dive master by name with "impressions" and assumptions? Well... okay then... proceed with the drift.

Please do me a favor. Next time any of you folks see 3-Ps Jorge sitting in the sun warming-up during a surface interval make sure to ask him if he's still shortening dives and cheating customers because he's getting too cold on deep dives that violate certification agency rules. Of course, you can also ask him about going blind. When he asks where you heard this stuff just tell him you got it here from people who had impressions and made assumptions. (LOL)

-AZTinman

Hmmmm... no problem with a drift in the discussion that specifically trashes a dive master by name with "impressions" and assumptions? Well... okay then... proceed with the drift.

Please do me a favor. Next time any of you folks see 3-Ps Jorge sitting in the sun warming-up during a surface interval make sure to ask him if he's still shortening dives and cheating customers because he's getting too cold on deep dives that violate certification agency rules. Of course, you can also ask him about going blind. When he asks where you heard this stuff just tell him you got it here from people who had impressions and made assumptions. (LOL)

-AZTinman
For the record I was only pointing out that threads drift, not commenting on whether or not I approve of the direction of the drift.

Also for the record Jorge is a long time friend of mine and I would never say anything to disparage him.

-AZTinman

Good thing you put in the LOL, because I would have thought you were serious. (LOL).

Why does going deep to shorten a dive have to be "cheating customers". I have posted before that it's just a different experience. I just didn't appreciate being taken to 107' when he said we all would be staying above 90', and I said I didn't want to go below 80'. He could have easily pointed to me and waived me off. But, it's my stupid fault for fallowing him. I'm sure the family of three enjoyed the dive. I saw it as him getting a mutual benefit from the dive. Now..., the DM's (that weren't named) that have people kicking into the current for no other reason other than to get people to blow through their air, they are cheating their customers. No one has accused Jorge of that. No one has accused him of going blind, either. People have just said that Julio is the best (in their opinion) at finding small stuff.

Do a search on here of my posts with 3P or Tres in the word search. You will see that I have praised them many times. I post an opinion of a particular behavior, and you would think I threw out accusations of high crimes and misdemeanors.

Why does going deep to shorten a dive have to be "cheating customers". I have posted before that it's just a different experience.

LOL...@Snoweman , that statement is just full of beans. :)

I've gotten the impression that Jorge likes to take people deep to get them to blow through their air faster.

You said ^^^THIS^^^;
followed by complaining he didn't customize a dive for YOU even though there were others on the boat; followed by implying he broke some kind of rule by taking OW divers below 60 ft.. There's no win-win or "just a different experience" in any of that. Quit regurgitating and reserving 'cause now it's just cold, refried beans. :) Nothing here...Moving on now...

LOL...@Snoweman , that statement is just full of beans. :)

It's not full of beans. I did say this:

Second, I never said his intention was to "rip us off". That is your interpretation. I don't look at it that way. Taking people deep is just a different experience.

You said ^^^THIS^^^;
followed by complaining he didn't customize a dive for YOU even though there were others on the boat; followed by implying he broke some kind of rule by taking AOW divers below 60 ft.. There's no win-win or "just a different experience" in any of that. Quit regurgitating and reserving 'cause now it's just cold, refried beans. :) Nothing here...Moving on now...

Nothing in the above quote makes any sense. They weren't AOW, just OW. Why isn't deep diving a different experience? What "reserving" is going on?

Seriously, if folks don't see a problem with a thread 'drift' that disparages a specific dive master by name, I'll simply have to respectfully disagree with them. There are quite a few posts here that either directly or indirectly reflect negatively on Jorge. If you don't see it, you might want to lower your 'shield' and re-read what's been posted in this thread as it has 'drifted'.

I do appreciate the original post that was intended to provide a review of a quality Cozumel dive operation. In my opinion, the direction of the 'drift' is unfortunate, but that's just me.

-AZTinman

Back
Top Bottom