Trip to Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIVER2550

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
In the diving capital of the world--West Virginia
I just came back from a vacation to Cancun. Before I left I went to the Mexico forum to find a new dive operation since the fellow I have dove with for the last 4 years had left the area, and I really wanted to dive with a smaller operation, not a cattle boat organization. By luck I ran across an outfit, Alwaysdiving with the owner being Alvaro Gonzalez. So I contacted him by email and set up two days of diving and a whale-shark snorkle trip. I should throw in that I have been diving this area for about 18 years(Cozumel-Cancun and the Riveria Maya). On the day I arrived in Cancun Alvaro called me to confirm our dives--this amazed me-and said there would be a cab to pick me up at my hotel to bring me to the shop so we could go diving(he sent the cab and paid for it). When I got to his shop(an office space) I began to think maybe I had made a mistake, it was only an office but what followed made me realize I had found a gold mine. Alvaro is a man of confidence--a former saturation diver and very expeiened. He knows the dive sites and has the customer's safety in mind at all times. On our first dive(only two of us went out to the dive site--he gave a thourgh briefing, explaining what we would see--the dive profile and general hand signals to be used--it was the wreck off Cancun, supplied 100 cf tank--and we had a really relaxing interesting experience. After the dive(well really on the way out to the site) I started feeling queezy, made a very poor choice to eat breakfast, and chose not to do the second dive. When we got back he rinsed an stored my gear, gave me a ride back to the hotel and later that night called to check that I was okay. Never in all my years as a diver-46-has that been done. Impressed me greatly.
The following Thursay we went to the Cenotes. Alvaro took three of us to a cenote--Charlottes Cenote. It is rarely dove since it is by an active Myan village. It was pristeen. He again gave an excellent briefing(explaining tha we would use the rule of thirds-though we were notdoing cace diving it was an added safety precaution), and again had 100 cf tanks for us. He was in no rush and gave a tour hat was 58 minutes long. It takes a lot to impress me as a diver/instructor but he did it. The pace was leisurely, and agian safety was his first issue, with our enjoyment being his goal. The second dive he actually left this cenote and took us to the Taj Mahal for another 55 minute dive. I have to be honest, I never have enjoyed that dive as much and it was the fourth time there, seeing things that I had no idea were there. The thing I want to stress, it was at a pace for the diver--not just to get the dive in. Afterward he took us to lunch at a local food place and we had the best shrimp tacos I have ever had. A perfect way to end the dive week. I had said I also had a whale -shark snorkle trip planned. He and I talked after the dive on Thursday, he had been watcheing the trip reports over the week. He told me that few had been observed because of a current change and if I wanted we would go but he would recomend that I might want to reconsider, he coul not guarentee that we would see any, and he wanted me to be totally satified, I choose to spend the day with my lady and kick around the beach and pool.
The long and short of it is if you want an excellent safe instructor--excellent dive experiences-with no more than 6 people in te party--Give Alwaysdiving in Cancun and the owner Alvaro Gonzalez a try--you will be well satisfied. Alavaro has a saying--He treats his clients as friends not customers. He made a friend for life. Alvaro if you read this---Thank You

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom