Triple 72's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to everyone.
Ahaah. So this was the secret men's nuts business of a few months ago.
I was wondering about the size of "the guy" s gonna lug that lump.
Very good.

I had to break down the rig to replace an O-ring so had a chance to take some comparison photos.

ManifoldBars-1.jpg

The top is the long bar made from a 3.5” extension and a 3.25” CGA 540 Nipple and nut. This is the bar used with the triple 72’s and gives an 8.25” on center spacing. The bottom bar made from a trimmed and re-tapped 3.5” extension and a 2.25” CGA 540 nipple and nut to be used with 5” diameter 30 or 40 cubic foot tanks.

This photo shows how the bands were made in 2 parts:

Bands.jpg

There are two pieces to each band which run from the from the right front overlap to the back left overlap – both circled. Each part was made from 48” long by 1.5 inch wide stainless steel strips. If I were to keep this rig for normal diving I would do some trim of these overlaps and then have them welded together. The half rounds are made from ¾” half round stainless bar stock available from McMaster Carr. The Eye bolts used are stainless steel 5/16” by 5" long from the home store. For a 30/40 triple set I should be able to do an entire band with one strip just as Captain has done.

Pete

I wonder what the maximum size of a guillotine is, who uses them, and if it would cut thicker, sheet stainless?

Any commercial shear should happily gnaw 1/4" stainless 12 feet wide. Look for them in big A/C shops, specialty welding shops, machine shops, or shipyards.

Standard shear size for most thinner gauge sheet is 4'x12' or 48" x 144". You can get longer but it is a specal cut. I work for Sikorsky Aircraft and it is a very rare aircraft skin that is larger then a 4x12 sheet. At Boeing, your milage may differ.

I got my strips from the scrap bin of a chemical processing line design/build firm. They didn't have any 12' scrap but did have a lot of 48" long pieces, free is always better and paid for.

Another place to look for strips of stainless would be a truck body shop that does custom and repair work. They may have some stainless around from the last time they did a refer.

Thanks.

This thread is proof that if there is ANYTHING you want to know about diving... the answer can be found (or made) on Scubaboard!

After a few years of keeping you eyes open you may find that there is just not much that hasn’t been done one way or another in the past – electronic being the exception. Twins and triples have been used since the start of SCUBA, BC’s in a primitive form almost as long, back plates go back to at least the early 60’s etc.

We just find new ways to make things or rediscover what someone had done on their own before. My technique, and Captains, for the triple bands is just a modification of how the 1” steel doubles bands worked from the start with an overlap and bolt holding it all together. I’m just surprised that someone never came up with using a USD J-60 valve as the base for a triple manifold before. As for triple 72’s, Captain pointed out that they are in the USD 1968 catalog as a special order using a cheater bar to connect two tanks in a doubles formation and the 3rd tank behind them connected by a pipe to the cheater bar.

Diving the triple 72”s

Well, they are heavy on land, but they are just about the same as my twin 130’s with a stainless back plate. The biggest difference is that they are wide and you have to keep that in mind to keep from bumping just about everything.

I wasn’t able to get them to a dive shop that would fill this type of rig for me, most of the other dive shops would get crossed eyed if I brought them in, so I sacrificed the fills in a set of time 72’s, mu 100’s, and a single 120 and ended up with 1700 psi in the triples. The manifold held this rock steady for 2 days with no drop in pressure, so they seem to be solid.

For today’s trial I took them to a pool and dove with a dive class. I had on the top to my ¼” farmer John and ended up needing 5# of lead to hold steady at 10 feet.

I knew that I had them on most of the time as there just is a lot more mass to control. Some more work in getting the harness adjusted might help, but it will not eliminate the fact that there is just a lot of weight back there. In all positions except vertical, I was able to easily. When in the vertical, head up or down, the tanks want to pull you over onto your back and it takes a good bit of effort to control this. But after some practice I was able to do barrel rolls and loops with ease.

Do to the size and the way the mass is spread out to your sides I wouldn’t want to do a beach dive with these and any boat dive would need to have a boat with a very sturdy ladder and some way to brace yourself at the sides as you came up it. No way would I ever want to dive this rig in a chop.

Here is the proof, the pool was a bit dark and my camera will only go to ASA 400 so they are a bit grainy.

Pete Johnson

Triples.jpg

Trip4.jpg

Trip3.jpg

Trip5.jpg

trip1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom