Triple-L Orion BC Size Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m7scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm a very new diver... so new in fact that I have not yet done my cert dives. I'll be going to Key Largo in March and will get qualified. I ran into a thread that mentioned Triple-L BCD's and started doing some looking. I'm considering getting one before my trip. I've read the below thread and am trying to decide which size would be better.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=56304&page=1&pp=10

According to the Triple-L web site, I could go with a medium, but one of the posters on that thread started with a medium and went up to a large. I'm 5' 10", 167 lbs, 38" chest, 36" waist (37" abdomen). I'm working on taking some weight off (actually inches in the waist/abdomen).

My main question concerns the adjustability of the Orion. How tight can I make the large? If I remove the trim pockets, can I tighten the cummerbund to a 35 - 36" waist? I'm assuming that the size ranges are without clothes - is that correct?

I like the idea of having the 2 extra trim pockets, but I really don't want a BCD that is too big (like one poster that started with an XL because that is what he usually wore). I'm sure I could put weights in other places like the tank belts for trim if needed or even wear a weight belt.

Other advise is appreciated as well. I'm kind of going off of Larry's (www.scubatoys.com) suggestion about getting the BCD first. His logic was that regs are pretty much the same as far as function goes, but each BCD has a different layout, etc. and learning your BCD is important. I really like the Zeagle Brigade, but can't afford $400 for it at the moment.

Thanks, Brian

I don't have a Orion so that I can't give any strait answer, but I know exactly that their size is one size larger compared to SP (Triple-L S=SP M). I had a Pegasus.

m7scuba:
I'm a very new diver... so new in fact that I have not yet done my cert dives. I'll be going to Key Largo in March and will get qualified. I ran into a thread that mentioned Triple-L BCD's and started doing some looking. I'm considering getting one before my trip. I've read the below thread and am trying to decide which size would be better.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=56304&page=1&pp=10

According to the Triple-L web site, I could go with a medium, but one of the posters on that thread started with a medium and went up to a large. I'm 5' 10", 167 lbs, 38" chest, 36" waist (37" abdomen). I'm working on taking some weight off (actually inches in the waist/abdomen).

My main question concerns the adjustability of the Orion. How tight can I make the large? If I remove the trim pockets, can I tighten the cummerbund to a 35 - 36" waist? I'm assuming that the size ranges are without clothes - is that correct?

I like the idea of having the 2 extra trim pockets, but I really don't want a BCD that is too big (like one poster that started with an XL because that is what he usually wore). I'm sure I could put weights in other places like the tank belts for trim if needed or even wear a weight belt.

Other advise is appreciated as well. I'm kind of going off of Larry's (www.scubatoys.com) suggestion about getting the BCD first. His logic was that regs are pretty much the same as far as function goes, but each BCD has a different layout, etc. and learning your BCD is important. I really like the Zeagle Brigade, but can't afford $400 for it at the moment.

Thanks, Brian

I'm a newbie too, just got certified last year in the Philippines and am going back next week. I wanted to get my own gear that I could get used to and I will be diving in some underdeveloped parts (Zamboanga) so I didn't want to have to rely on dive shop rentals. Also I didn't want to spend much so I ended up buying a Orion BCD size large, 5mm wetsuit size L, and gear luggage from LLL for like 300 bucks. I'm 5'9" 180lbs 41" chest 34" waist, and with a 5mm wetsuit I've adjusted the large to give me a nice fit, it could definately go bigger but I wouldn't want it to adjust it much smaller. I'm broad shouldered for my height and I think the medium might have been to tight for me, but these are very adjustable. I do think the wetsuit may be too tight in the chest for me though.

I found ordering from them to be fine (they need a better web site), they shipped quickly. The luggage is fine for the price too. Don't forget the crotch strap.

Hope that helps!

I had a large which fit me perfect and my specs are 5'9 225lbs 48' chest 38' waist. If you can afford it, purchase a large and he also sells the harnesses alone for $60 but only have medium and xxl sizes left. I would pick up a medium harness as well just to be safe. Hope this helps.

Jason

m7scuba:

Thanks, Brian

I can't speak for their sizing, but I know in a Zeagle, we'd want to hybrid it for you. You would have a Large waist panel with Medium shoulders. That would make for a perfect fit with your dimensions. Also if you do decide to go with the Brigade, don't forget that Scubaboard members that call in their order to me, get an extra 10% off... don't know if that helps enough to sway you towards a Zeagle... If not, try contacting the other company, and see if they can hybrid their sizing... I think it will be your best option.

Based on what I'm seeing here and on another thread, I'll probably end up with the medium. I sent an e-mail to Triple-L sales and info and will post their reply when I get it. I like Larry's idea of mixing - would probably be doable by getting a harness of the other size.

Back
Top Bottom