Triptone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BuckBuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My wife was given some Triptone last year while diving Grand Cayman, and absolutely loved the result. She has had a history of sea-sickness, and this really helped. The active ingredient is the same as in Gravol, but the Triptone didn't make her drowsy.
We have been unable to locate Triptone here in Canada, so I'm wondering a couple of things: is anyone aware of a similar drug in Canada?
And is Triptone a prescription, or over the counter drug in the U.S.? (the man that gave her the pills was an American).

We are off for another dive vacation in early July, and would love to have this sorted out sooner rather than later.

Thanks for any help on this.

When was the last time you tried Dramin or Dramamin(e) as it is called in various countries.
A few years back we used to find Dramin made us drowsy and we preferred to use Triptone.
But then about 3 years ago we were diving somewhere and the operator mentioned that Dramin had been reformulated to use the same active ingredient as Triptone. On checking we found that both use Dimenhydrinate, the only difference being that we normally find Dramin in 100mg tablets and Triptone in 50mg tablets. We then went back to Dramin with good results.

Triptone and Dramamine work for me equally well.

Both of these drugs are over the counter in the US, though I'm sure that there are some heavy duty prescription drugs for those that need them.

The short answer to your question is that Triptone can be bought without a prescription here in the U.S. It's relatively inexpensive ($4-6/12 tablets). If you can't find it for some reason, you should be able to substitute Dramamine "Original" formula, which is also over-the-counter.

FYI, there can be ambiguity when referring to medications by their "name brand." More specifically, name brands can be marketed with different active ingredients under the same or similar name. For instance, Dramamine® can contain dimenhydrinate ("Original" formula) or meclizine ("Less Drowsy" formula). Manufacturers realize that name brands create loyalty in the costumer base, so they try to take advantage of this. Unfortunately, the practice can make it very confusing for the customer.

As far as I know, the current formulation of Triptone contains dimenhydrinate (50mg per tablet) and is available over-the-counter without prescription. Dramamine "Original" formula contains the same active ingredient as Triptone at the same dosage per tablet. On the other hand, Dramamine "Less Drowsy" formula contains meclizine, which is thought to be less sedating than dimenhydrinate. Meclizine can also be purchased under the brand name Bonine®. Confused yet? :D

Whenever taking any med (prescription or OTC), pay attention to the generic name of the active ingredient(s) and the dosage of each. It can be really confusing otherwise.

Always try out seasickness meds on a non-diving day before your trip. This will give you a sense of any side effects you might experience and whether they are tolerable. A very common side effect of seasickness meds is drowsiness. If Triptone makes you too drowsy, try an over-the-counter med that contains meclizine, ginger candy, the prescription scopolamine patch, etc. Believe it or not, some studies have shown that hypnosis can be used successfully to reduce nausea in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. It's possible that hypnosis could be used to combat seasickness, too.

Hope this info helps...

i find triptone at the dive shop but the same thing is available at drugstore under the name bonnine.also it helps to watch what you eat the night before a trip.

I should have checked the actual drug content but my experience with Dramamine was less than comforting. It gave me a pretty good high at 0600 and by the time it wore off I had such a dry mouth I could barely swallow. I prefer Triptone as it appears to be side affect free.

And no I didn't mistake Dramamine for those dang brownies again :D

i find triptone at the dive shop but the same thing is available at drugstore under the name bonnine.also it helps to watch what you eat the night before a trip.

:shakehead:

Triptone ≠ Bonine

Triptone = Dimenhydrinate 50 mg
triptone-sm.jpg

Dramamine = Dimenhydrinate 50 mg
dramamine_original.jpg

Bonine = Meclizine HCl 25 mg
Bonine-Adult.jpg

Believe it or not, some studies have shown that hypnosis can be used successfully to reduce nausea in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. It's possible that hypnosis could be used to combat seasickness, too.
Call me skeptical...in fact, I'd bet my sea-bands against it. :wink:

Believe it or not, some studies have shown that hypnosis can be used successfully to reduce nausea in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. It's possible that hypnosis could be used to combat seasickness, too.

"You're feeling much better. You don't want to blow chunks at the back of the boat..."
obi-wan.jpg

:shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom