Tritan's Trumpet Migration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also heard from an eco-conscious person that he breaks off the tip. Collectors dont want them and the Triton lives on. Interesting if it works with no harm.

sorry kid. just hate to see people collect.

Charlie - When I've seen them, they are almost almost mid-meal. Usually a pillow star, but once it was the COT. I saw a COT on a dive last week shortly after spotting a TT, but when I turned back I couldn't find him to give him a free meal ... still trying to get used to all the terrain you cover scootering.

I hate to see animals like them killed for their shell when if you just look around long enough an empty will turn up from natural causes... For me it makes each shell I find more valuable (I collect empties - still watching for a TT though)

Mahalo all,
Tim

I believe you can take live shells. In fact, I seem to recall hearing that the TT is also prized for its meat... or was in ancient Hawaii or something.

I agree, it's better to leave it... but I think if I ever found one in shallowish water (less than 25') I'd make a point of transporting him deeper. At least that way the vacationer snorkelers wouldn't be tempted to grab him. :D

During a lunch stop on Fanning Island, I asked the fisherman selling the best shells if they ate the Triton's? He made a scrunched up face and said the meat was baadd! Semi-translation was nearly poison-ish. That's nearly a thousand miles away, but you never know. At least I have hope!

makes sense, as they carry around that stuff that neutralizes COT toxin - doubt it helps them taste much better.

btw - are our "helmet" shells the same thing as "conch" shells? I've been told two different things, just wondering what's up as they look the same/similar to me.

Aloha, Tim

btw - are our "helmet" shells the same thing as "conch" shells? I've been told two different things, just wondering what's up as they look the same/similar to me.Aloha, Tim
Helmet are Cassis cornuta and Tritons Trumpet are charonia tritons both in Family Cassididae. The Hawaiian Strombe is strombus vomer Family Strombe hawaiiensis. My uneducated guess is no they are not.

I would love to see a large herd of Tritons Trumpet on the move. If I do, very glad to now know I was not hallucinating and worry myself off to the ER.
As I recall from my reef aquarium days, the collection of live shells is allowed for personal use and corals may not be taken in Hawaii.
The Tritons nailing a COT is a sight to see, both shifting from neutral straight into high (gear.)

Thanks Redrover - Stromboidea vs Tonnoidea

Different SuperFamily even.

Just wondering as they seem to be interchangably called Conch and Helmets over here.

Since I'm learning so much ... In the picture shown here Cassis (Cassis) cornuta Is one a Male and the other a Female (bottom pic is quite different from the top) Seems I was told you tell the sex by the spines, but I don't which one is what.

Mahalo, Tim

In the picture shown here Cassis (Cassis) cornuta Is one a Male and the other a Female (bottom pic is quite different from the top) Seems I was told you tell the sex by the spines, but I don't which one is what.Mahalo, Tim
Island Heritage's Shells of Hawaii says in the case of the horned helmet...males can be distinguished from females by the height of the horns. Long horn male, short female. Also "this is one of the few seashells large enought to be used by hawaiians as a trumpet.

Shells of Hawaii also says true conchs...many are edible and were common food source.

I believe you can take live shells. In fact, I seem to recall hearing that the TT is also prized for its meat... or was in ancient Hawaii or something.

I agree, it's better to leave it... but I think if I ever found one in shallowish water (less than 25') I'd make a point of transporting him deeper. At least that way the vacationer snorkelers wouldn't be tempted to grab him. :D

The TT is in the conch family, so I'm sure it's edable.

just remember, that is a shell isn't someone's home now...it will be.

take only pictures...leave only bubbles.

The TT is in the conch family, so I'm sure it's edable.

just remember, that is a shell isn't someone's home now...it will be.

Either that, or it will be *in* someone's home. :D

I've seen some pretty obliterated helmet shells... ones that *won't* be someone's home... I'm perfectly ok with taking those. Same thing for cone shells.

Mind you, part of that is just plain fear that the shell isn't actually empty and the creature is going come out and bite/pinch/sting my ***. :)

take only pictures...leave only bubbles.

Sure. Unless you're going to eat it and take it responsibly. I mean, really... what's the difference between grabbing a TT or buying a mahi sandwich at a restaurant?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom