Tropical but inexpensive diving vaca... is there such a thing??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubalaux

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All!
My bf and I want to take a much needed break from life in WI and travel to a warm and tropical destination for diving. I was wondering if anyone had any lines on an inexpensive place that would offer a no-frills, just diving atmosphere. Im not looking for any ammenities, more of a collapse on the beach after a full day of diving and wake up with the sun to do ot all over again. We were also considering a liveaboard trip but dont know much about them. Flights to Cozumel or Puerto Vallarta arent bad but I just cant seem to find a place to stay that would be cheap and plain enough!
Seriously, we will sleep anywhere. All we care about is diving!!!!

Thanks
Sarah

If you feel that Cozumel is too expensive, let any thoughts of liveaboards sail away. The diving in Puerto Vallarta is marginal by any standard.

Hopefully somebody from the Bay Islands board (like Will Wellborn, BayIslandsDiver) will see this, as there are options on West End of Roatan where you can rent a hammock for the night. Post over there and ask or PM him directly.

Better yet, in threads such as these, throw down a dollar figure that you would spend in total and always your originating airport.

yeah, you need to define what you mean by cheap. If you can't find something that suits you in Coz it might be tough to do better. And some of the places that are cheap to dive at tend to be more expensive to get to.

Check out the Coral Reef Inn in Cozumel. Relatively inexpensive, walking distance to the beach. No pool but a roof top kitchen where you can save money by fixing your own meals.

I just might have something of interest. I have chartered a 65 foot sailboat from Lost Island Voyages. It is an all inclusive live a board that includes all your drinks diving food and stay while on the boat. I am doing a 10 day tour thru the Bahamas. We board the boat on Jan 4 and get off the boat on Jan 13. The total cost for the boat is $1690.00 You just need to get yourself there and will also have to pay for the crew tip. If you are wanting to dive nitrox that also would be extra. You can check out the boat at www lostislandvoyages com. Let me know if you want any more information on this trip. You can email me at divingbunny @ msn.com
Thanks
Shelly

If you want the Bahamas (excellent that time of the year) you can go real budget with Blackbeard. Bahamas scuba diving liveaboard Blackbeard's Cruises That's $899 pp. I don't know about Nitrox. They didn't have it when I was there in May 07. You do need to fly to Freeport Bahamas to board the boat. On their site, yo can get a bed & breakfast for the last night there (the day you get off the boat) for a very reasonable price.

Hope that helps.

Bonaire can be done on the cheap..example would be to stay with Liz at Golden Reef Inn as an example and an unlimited shore dive package.No boat dives,rent a truck and go on your own schedule.Can make as many dives you can handle, maybe 30 for the week,so that lowers the cost for the trip on a per dive basis.Actually less expensive there than diving locally here in the north east on a per dive basis.

Actually Bonaire is pretty cheap right now, from Milwaukee you get get airfare and a stay dive & drive package for about $1500 (or just abit less). No bad for Bonaire. Airfare was getting REAL expensive, but we have seen it come down to last year rates.

As said in a previous post, it depends on what you call budget.

What about asking your local shop to see if they have any specials going on!

Bonaire can be done on the cheap...Can make as many dives you can handle, maybe 30 for the week, so that lowers the cost for the trip on a per dive basis.Actually less expensive there than diving locally here in the north east on a per dive basis.

Recently my buddy and I did 32 dives in 5 1/2 diving days.

PS - on the "cheap" end I've still not seen anyone beat our $14-total-for-lunch-for-the-two-of-us-for-the-week approach of buying a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, and a jar of strawberry jam. Of course we blew all the money we saved having dinners at Papaya Moon, Wil's, Patagonia, Richards, etc

:D

Back
Top Bottom