Tropical Fish ID Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soakedlontra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello!

I am trying to identify this little striped fish that I saw in Puerto Rico. At first I thought that it was a juvenile Princess Parrot Fish but then I looked at pictures of this fish and realized that it did not have a black spot nearthe tail like the one I photographed.:confused:

IDFish_PR_8693.jpg

Looks very much like a juvenile French Grunt (Haemulon flavolineatum) or Tomate (Haemulon aurolineatum).The two stripes and the spot on the tail are what's making me think that.Most other juveniles have three stripes with the spot.

It's hard to see from the photo if there is a faint gold stripe between the two pronounced dark stripes.It looks like there might be which if it is I would go with Juvenile french Grunt.

Thanks to everybody!:)

It's hard to see from the photo if there is a faint gold stripe between the two pronounced dark stripes.It looks like there might be which if it is I would go with Juvenile french Grunt.

I looked at other pictures and could not see the gold stripe that you mention:

ID_Fish_PR1_8692.jpg

From our fish ID database, we're going with it's a juvenile tomtate. Here's the photo (credited to Les Wilk):

Tomtate Juvenile.png

Back
Top Bottom