Trouble catching my breath at the beginning of dive .... after 10 yrs of diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huh. It is the presumed mechanism for SIPE in triathletes: water cools you down, capillaries constrict, blood pressure in major vessels goes up. I guess if you're borderline hypertensive, that could push the BP enough for you to feel it...

Mammalian diving reflex associated?

I'm going to weigh in on bcd too small. :) of course this is contingent upon how much actual weight you've gained, especially around your middle. How often do you dive in a year? I'm basing this on your breathing being fine at depth. As you know, we can often snug up the bcd again at depth which means it's not as tight at depth and therefore not squeezing on you like at the surface.

If on the other hand, you haven't gained any weight and have had no change in body proportions, I'll change my vote to anxiety. It makes no sense that's the weirdness of anxiety.

But overall importance is as others have said, go see a doctor for full testing.

OMG this sounds like me in a vest type BCD. I literally felt like I could not catch my breath at surface when the BCD was inflated, I deflated and then of course I could not get down because I was breathing so fast. I let someone help me down and then below I was just fine.

I believe it was the constriction of the vest on me (I'm booby AND thick waisted) and having anxiety about the breathing/unable to get full breath and then the vicious circle started. This went on for awhile, I knew the start of my dive was going to be carp, and when I got down it would be amazing. Eventually I calmed down, and also changed the BCD to Scubapro lady hawk/back inflate. Anxiety is crazy making. You can know in your head that its ok but your body shouts out "NO!!" Good luck, can't wait to hear you've got it under control and are happily and safely diving.

AFAIK in triathletes the pert where BP around the lungs goes up and squeezes water out of the blood into the lungs is just the last straw. These are long and gruelling races and they generally push too hard. Anecdotally blood thinners may be involved, too: at lest some reported feeling a bit or a could and taking aspirins days before the race.

Well I went diving yesterday, in Maui at the cathedrals. I told the dive master what had happened ,and requested that I not stay up on the surface waiting for others . Instead I descended 20-15ft and hung out. It totally worked. I did not get out of breath. I gues what was happening is since I am only 5"2", all that weight ( the 5ml suit , the weights the tank and my Bc inflated ) it was pressing on my diaphragm. In the shore dive it was the same we were on top swimming out with a snorkel . Anyway I had two great dives!!! Thank you all for your input!

OMG this sounds like me in a vest type BCD. I literally felt like I could not catch my breath at surface when the BCD was inflated, I deflated and then of course I could not get down because I was breathing so fast. I let someone help me down and then below I was just fine.

I believe it was the constriction of the vest on me (I'm booby AND thick waisted) and having anxiety about the breathing/unable to get full breath and then the vicious circle started. This went on for awhile, I knew the start of my dive was going to be carp, and when I got down it would be amazing. Eventually I calmed down, and also changed the BCD to Scubapro lady hawk/back inflate. Anxiety is crazy making. You can know in your head that its ok but your body shouts out "NO!!" Good luck, can't wait to hear you've got it under control and are happily and safely diving.
Yes that is exactly what it was, I descended10-15gt and waited for the rest of the divers I had no problem! I too am booby ( would love to have abreast reduction!! But I spend all my money divingI had no problems did two dives . I am so happy we figured it out! Thanks for your input

Hi all, I have been diving for more than 10 years, but lately I can't catch my breath . Went for a shore dive , we started out snorkeling and I could not catch my breath to the point I had to bail on the dive. Than once o a boat dive we went in first and had to stay on top and wait for everyone else to go down together. And I could not catch my breath! I don't know why this is happening I don't have any health problems. Any suggestions I live diving.

If I have had a significant hiatus from diving I occasionally feel a bit of shortness of breath at first moments of first dive. Could be anxiety. or...

Also, if wetsuit or hood are tight (or you have put a few lbs on) it can make you get that strangled feeling. I always find it good to snorkle a bit, loosen up, get wet, warm up muscles, get water in wetsuit etc..become a sea creature again.....then go the full monty with all scuba gear.

my 2 cents

You say you're healthy, but what are you backing that up with? When was your last annual physical?

If it's just anxiety, I'd strongly consider meditation - even just 5-10minutes - in the morning before a dive. How long between dives? If you're hopping in after a year without diving that's pretty natural.

I'm a beginner, but even after 12 consecutive dives on a liveaboard I still felt anxious on my last one.

Physical problem I would guess get it checked out. Hell diving for me is a complete relaxation. No noise or arguing with wife of 50 years as soon as my head goes below the surface, complete tranquility. Good luck.

Along with a tight BCD and wet suit, staying vertical with not much of your head out of the water puts a pressure differential on your chest. When combined with the above, it can make it difficult to breathe. So see it this is contributing, lay back in the water and get your chest/stomach closer to the surface, and see if it gets better. By itself it should not cause issue if you are in reasonable shape but I have experienced this when as a contributing factor (along with a wet suit that was too tight).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom