Trouble catching my breath at the beginning of dive .... after 10 yrs of diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lynnemari

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all, I have been diving for more than 10 years, but lately I can't catch my breath . Went for a shore dive , we started out snorkeling and I could not catch my breath to the point I had to bail on the dive. Than once o a boat dive we went in first and had to stay on top and wait for everyone else to go down together. And I could not catch my breath! I don't know why this is happening I don't have any health problems. Any suggestions I live diving.

How old are you? Just an obvious question, since I'm pushing 63. What are you out of breath doing? Long walk, gearing up, heat/cold? It's weird to me. I'm older than when I started at age 51, but it's still the same deal--other than a pain here & there and my knees not really liking me.

How old are you? Just an obvious question, since I'm pushing 63. What are you out of breath doing? Long walk, gearing up, heat/cold? It's weird to me. I'm older than when I started at age 51, but it's still the same deal--other than a pain here & there and my knees not really liking me.
I am 55 but in really good shape I work out cardio and weights. It happened first on the surface while waiting for other divers to come in. I went back to the boat cuz it freaked me out. The very nice and patient master diver talked me into to trying one more time and he went down with me. OnceI am down there my breathing was fine. This time was a shore dive and I have died me many in the past . Spent a week in Bonaire. We snorkels out it was a little rough , but I have done that before. My snorkel kept licking up.I was prob working to hard and than it was over .I didn't want to do the dive. I love diving , and don't understand what is happening

Hi Lynnemari: First, see a physician and contact DAN. It could be a developing anxiety issue, but you certainly should discuss this and get checked out for any underlying physical issues with a qualified physician.

Edit: Reading your follow up post, it could indeed be an anxiety issue. The weird thing about anxiety is that it is not rational. You might have 10 years of experience and rationally think, "I should be totally comfortable with this dive." That's not how anxiety works. However, let me be very clear, breathing issues are obviously important in diving so please discuss this matter with a qualified physician.

Yeah @DogDiver, I've had that problem too! :D

I'm no expert but I agree sounds like anxiety issue, maybe take up yoga and learn to relax and breathe don't worry that you are 10yrs older from when you started the skills you learnt are the same,

Even if the wet suit somehow fits, an older suit will have all the stretch ozooned out of the neoprene

Back
Top Bottom