Truk Jan 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree, I just did a skin for a little environmental protection. I would have died in a wetsuit.

Truk is about the warmest place I have ever dived. I was there in Feb, but I was still pretty warm in my 3mm. I kept it on for body armour against scratches, but my Dad just dived in T-shirt and trunks.

I had to come home from Truk Lagoon. The Diving was absolutely awesome, I dove 35 tanks, every time I got back to the Boat I thought my last dive was my favorite Dive. I enjoyed the engine rooms, machine shops, cargo in the holds as well as the torpedoes, bombs, and weapons. I don't know if I had a favorite wreck but probably my biggest rush came from The Oite Destroyer at 190' (58m), a 2 minute descent for 7 minutes on the Destroyer and then 32 minutes in ascending, Deco, and safety stops.
My wife and I stayed at the Blue Lagoon Resort for 17 days the accommodations are dated but VERY clean the food was good and plenty of it, the Sunset Bar was a great place to end the day with Dive Buddies and other divers.
The Blue Lagoon Dive Shop was good also my guide was Estos (he knew the wrecks like the back of his hand) and boat driver was Dear both from neighboring island of Tonoas.
If you are planning on going there sometime make sure your computer is in your carry on, my luggage was delayed for the first 2 days, there rental gear was ok but they had only one extra computer and they couldn't find it, so I was sticking close to Estos hoping his computer was doing the right thing. Besides that if you are planning on doing Tech Diving make sure you take your own gear, I was diving with a couple of guys from the UK, through emails they were understanding that Blue Lagoon had tech diving gear available for rent so they just packed there scuba gear and were disappointed when they found out the shop just had the gases.
The divers I dove with were all very experienced, which was a good thing with the depth and penetrations we were doing, it's not a place for first timers.
I will post some pics as soon as my tech person ( my daughter) is here to help me do that.

I also dove most of the dives in my swim suit & T-shirt had to wear a wetsuit for a couple of days because of the wind and the rain soaking us for 30-45 minute boat rides

Back
Top Bottom