Truk Jan 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Gerken is one of the skippers of the Odyssey and is a top notch dude. As for taking your wife, I will echo what everyone else said. No way I would still be married if I took my wife there. Nothing to do, and for me, everything food wise at Blue Lagoon that was not fish was basically inedible. I would lose a lot of weight staying there for a week.

@bashaw77

Truk Lagoon - diving is outstanding.

TKK - no so much. It's not so much that you need to keep an eye on your stuff - you do. Or that the check-in process is tedious. It's the toilets. I can't begin to describe how filthy they were - the smell and the decaying mixture on the floor were disgusting. The stools - you can't imagine. Happy Wife? My advice - take care of business before arriving at the airport. Make every effort to check on the departure of your aircraft for TKK prior to departing for the airport. Accurate information may be hard to come by. Wireless voice - calls fail, quality poor and drops all too frequent.

If you want a local experience, after you have checked-in for the flight and before the departure/security gate opens, try the local stores across the street. Interesting view of the local island culture.

Positive notes. When the security screening opens, you can wait for your flight airside/outside in the smoking area. It's big enough that you can avoid the smoke and get a little fresh air. A/C - not so bad in the departure area. There is a small snack area with comfortable seating located airside. With the fan blowing, it's a good spot to wait for your flight to be called. The United staff is pleasant and helpful. They didn't bother to weight our bags and happily checked all of our bags to TKK-GUM-YAP. No need to reclaim bags in GUM, clear USA immigration and go straight to your gate.

In comparison, we found YAP and ROR to be both efficient and clean.

TKK Toilet Sink.JPG
TKK Toilet Urinals.JPG

Yup, but the wrecks were well worth the airport bathrooms and the long flights.

You would be best to leave the wife at home, saving a lot of money and your marriage. Nothing at all to do in Chuuk unless you are a diver. No pool, only one small beach at Blue Lagoon. Alternatively, send her on a holiday somewhere else at the same time.
Yup, Mine went to Alaska and had a great time.

I too will give a trip report when we're back - less than a month, gaaaah! Finally some diving, looking forward to it!

I sort of wish I'd gotten my tec cert done before this trip, but oh well...next time right...

I was reading gratuities in Fiji, what is the custom for tipping in Truk?
8 more days till Truk Lagoon becomes my home for a while
I was in -6 on Monday be 80+ next Friday

Haha, nice. Down to a week for departure for me! We're melting in 37C tomorrow (I think that's about 104?) so I'll be looking for a nice cool(ish) swim soon. What do folks bring for wetsuits? My wife doesn't leave home without her wool lined 7mm, but I'm debating between a 3mm shorty or a 5mm long...

I'm bringing a 2/3mm but if the water is as warm as they say I may dive in my swim suit

Truk is about the warmest place I have ever dived. I was there in Feb, but I was still pretty warm in my 3mm. I kept it on for body armour against scratches, but my Dad just dived in T-shirt and trunks.

Back
Top Bottom