Truk Lagoon Death Sept 29th, 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MurkyRockDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Did anyone else hear about this? Rebreather diver is all I know.

"Passed away on: 29/09/2010
1955-2010 - Died suddenly on Sept.29, 2010, at Truk Lagoon, Micronesia, Dr.J.Arch McNamara of Ambler, Pa."

Last edited:
I talked to a guy who was on the Aggressor with the guy. Very little details other than from this guys perspective the boat crew and captain did all that was possible for the victim. Very sad!

When I was out in Chuuk in early September I heard (only hearsay) a discussion in the Truk Stop restaurant about a diver having to get evaced to a chamber off a liveaboard. It was all very hush hush and no one I asked would confirm or deny anything. Im wondering if the deeper avg depths out that way lead to more accidents. Chuuk is also at the end of the world in terms of remote locale and lack of medical facilities which might compound problems.

My thoughts and prayers to the victim.

Here is a bit more information from Wreck Valley Divers @ http://www.wreckvalley.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=34961&sid=707230b235b104e660da35152bcd4b9e

"Dr. J. Arch McNamara - 1955-2010
We are deeply saddened to report that J. Arch McNamara, M.D., SRI patron for more than a decade, died suddenly on September 29, 2010 at Truk Lagoon, Micronesia. After surfacing from a dive, he showed symptoms of decompression sickness. Following a 4- to 5-hour treatment in a hyperbaric chamber, he collapsed and could not be revived.

We extend our deepest condolences to his family: Dr. Judy Melick, his best friend and wife; daughter Kelly Elizabeth; and son David James.

Dr. Mac was a very special person. He was an experienced diver, passionate about sharks, and a world-class underwater photographer whose images have appeared on many SRI materials. He also kept SRI's education department well-supplied with computers over the years; and he took care of our eyes (an ophthalmologist at Wills Eye Hospital, Dr. Mac was chosen by his peers as one of the "Best Doctors in America").

Dr. Mac was caring, generous and charismatic, and he was one of us -- a member of our SRI family. He will be deeply missed by everybody who was fortunate to know him. "

This is quite sad, not a lot details, just questions. He was on a CCR and IMHO - diving deep on air (or using air dil) is a bad plan.

Jeff

Spoke with two of the people who were on the boat at DEMA. The diver was running 1.4 ATA, diving around 130-140 which would put his EAD shallower than his actual depth. Deep, but not excessively so. He did have some extended bottom times and did at least two decompression dives per day. One of the divers I spoke with was thinking that he had pulmonary O2 toxicity, but from the description, the symptoms sounded more like pulmonary DCS to me. He had cutis marmorata, which is often accompanied by more severe DCS symptoms. The diver was also significantly overweight.
There's a temptation, when you're in an exotic, once-in-a-lifetime place, to take full advantage of the time you're there and maximize your dives. We recommend an "off-gassing" day halfway through a week-long trip, especially when it involves long, deep dives. Go do an easy hike, snorkel, whatever, but don't breathe compressed air. This will significantly reduce the risk of DCS.

Very thought provoking. I am going to Truk in January with my 72 year old father. Will have to mindful about making sure he takes it easy.

I have also spoken with folks that were there that day and from what I was told his dives on that fateful day were more like 209fsw max depth with a run time of 127 minutes, 4 hour SIT followed by 166fsw max depth with 112 minute run time, next a 96 fsw dive for 71 minutes, but no required deco.

He was diving a CCR using air dil and not the first dive day of the trip. he showed signs of skin bends, felt ill and could not breathe. He was put on O2. I also understand that the facilities in Truk Lagoon are a bit lacking, but would like to know more about that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom