Truk V Coron wreck face off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markb

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all
I am starting to miss the wreck diving so thinking about a trip to Truk of Coron.
I dived Coron a few years ago and really enjoyed it. The ships themselves are really something and I had a great time topside as well. Vis not always great and not as much fish life as I thought there might be but a great week nevertheless. I am now thinking about Truk as the top (warm water) spot to visit as time is marching on and the wrecks and me won't be around forever......
Travelling (solo) from the UK and looking at options the main difference is price - Coron still looks great value staying at somewhere like Seadive. Truk a bit pricey for both land based (my pref) or liveaboard.
I will be doing single tank nitrox dives, no deep tech.
So can anybody advise me - is it worth the extra to go to Truk??

Looking at it as a holiday with other things to do, good food, nightlife, etc.

Thanks
Mark

Yes it's worth the extra, but I would rather plan it as a wreck specific trip and make the most of Truk. There is not exactly much else to do nor much nightlife.

Truk is THE place. Coron does not come anywhere near.
Go for it as the wrecks are deteriorating fast.
You only live once.

You still have those WWI German wrecks up in Scapa Flow to quench your thirst!

I have been to Truk 5 times and going again in July. Its the mecca for wrecks. Solomon wrecks are as good but not as many diveable wrecks all in the same area. Coron wrecks are average to good in comparison to Truk which are overall much better and more of. If you loved Coron you will be over the moon with Truk. Much better wrecks but deteriorating fast.

If anyone asked me which is the one place in the world I would go if I had one chance at wreck diving, I would say Bikini (but hugely expensive, but where I am going in September) or Truk (which is much cheaper and more wrecks I think).

Where have you stayed? How long? 14 days enough time? How much is accessible from 130feet? Time of the year not to be there because of the weather? Thanks

Always Blue Lagoon found it ok for a third world country
8 days isnt long enough, once I stayed 14 days and then went and dived Palau, wished I had stayed at Truk longer
There are 38 diveable wrecks, 27 at or deck at least at 40m or less.
I have dived 26 of them to date

Been there in Feb, March, June, this time July. I think Feb it was a bit wet and windy but ok for the shallow wrecks, not so good for the outer wrecks which can be deep anyway

If anyone asked me which is the one place in the world I would go if I had one chance at wreck diving, I would say Bikini (but hugely expensive, but where I am going in September) or Truk (which is much cheaper and more wrecks I think).
Jutland WWI wrecks would be my preference because I have never dived them previously.
As for Bikini Atoll? Can't afford it and beside they were NOT sunk in action albeit in Atomic bombs testing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom