Truk V Coron wreck face off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But they were not sunk in hostility unlike those eg. HMS Hermes, Prince of Wales and Repulse or IJN Haguro. . .
Along with Truk & Coron -Epic historical accounts of battle, last stand, courage and ultimate sacrifice of brave men to be honored & remembered -many of whose remains are still there. . .
the saratoga has a better service record than all those combined
. . . And all the other Bikini Wrecks showing the incredible blast effects of the most terrible destructive weapon that man has ever devised -and used against his own kind. . .

Dived Repulse and Prince of Wales, and both great ships. Want to go back to POW, but repulse has been torn apart by salvagers.

Dived Repulse and Prince of Wales, and both great ships. Want to go back to POW, but repulse has been torn apart by salvagers.
They have been working non molested from Indonesia to Malaysia over last few years!!
My money is on commie chinese.

I have not been to Coron but I did a live-aboard in Truk last year. It was AMAZING. If you enjoy some life top-side then be aware that Weno island is very depressing and many would say dangerous. It's sad how its been left to deteriorate and the people survive on subsistence farming and we saw the young people wandering around on drugs. There is nowhere to go out at night - you will be stuck at the resort - which also are very basic. Facilities like a resort in Thailand 20 years ago...

If anyone asked me which is the one place in the world I would go if I had one chance at wreck diving, I would say Bikini (but hugely expensive, but where I am going in September) or Truk (which is much cheaper and more wrecks I think).

I hope you will come back to the thread and give us a trip report. Would love to know how it went and the logistics of getting there, dive operation, cost, etc.

If you are looking for a simple choice between Coron and Truk,having been to both and if cost is not an issue,I would chose Truk. But be mindful of the comment above about lack of nightlife.

Question: Were the bikini wrecks not stripped of all fixtures and fittings before they were blasted by the bomb? I do not like artificial reefs as much because they are stripped naked before sinking. I wonder if wrecks of Bikini atoll would fall in the same category.

Question: Were the bikini wrecks not stripped of all fixtures and fittings before they were blasted by the bomb? I do not like artificial reefs as much because they are stripped naked before sinking. I wonder if wrecks of Bikini atoll would fall in the same category.
No. Along with bomb telemetry instrumentation, and some test animals on deck of a few ships, they were supposed to be in a simulated or relative state of combat "general quarters", to test the effects of the atomic bomb on a battle-ready naval fleet.

I hope you will come back to the thread and give us a trip report. Would love to know how it went and the logistics of getting there, dive operation, cost, etc.
Will do, cant wait to get there.

Back
Top Bottom