Trustfire TR-J1 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Granted though, he has subsequently withdrawn his recommendation as there are some build issues with the light (such as the twisty switch being used to cycle through modes).

Is that build issue or a design issue? The TR-J1 has a magnetic twist ring. Am I understanding that the TR-DR003 has a twist cap instead?

I've read his thread on CPF and I see his concern. Wonder if he just got a bad one. Wonder how much their quality deviates from one model to another.

In my local diving I'd crank it to full power just before entering the water and leave it there the whole time. Maybe this is/isn't a concern for me?

I guess my question is.... would you take a chance?

Well, the twisty tail cap would indeed be okay if it was just one mode. However, if I had to cycle through them, then that would quickly be a pain. For some reason as well, he says that he's only getting 1/10th the output from when he first got it (as stated in his comments on his youtube channel). Personally, if I had a better supply of trustworthy Li-ion cells that I wouldn't be concerned about putting in series config, I might give it a go. However , having just recently re-built my can light in a 6P config right now, I'm not in a total rush to try to mod one. Though if someone were to donate one... hmmm...:wink:

I didn't see the comments (embedded video). Sounds like a resounding pass.

A friend of mine bought one and it leaked. I bought 2 and found one looked fine on dissassembly, the other had machining marks on the inside seal face of the reflector end of the battery tube which were parallel with the tube body. Clearly this would cause the top O rings (mine had 2 instead of one mentioned in previous posts) to leak and flood the torch. have sent an email to the supplier and advised him and waiting an outcome. It appears these marks are from the lathe gripping the aluminium body from the inside when machining the tube.

Check out 300winmag on this board and over at budgetlightforum.
Amazing pictures of a dissolving tr df003.

Could have been a great one but alas, switch costs too much to include in design.

My other light is the DRIS 1000 which takes 3C. I'm wondering what the possibilities are of putting 3x 25500 in parallel. 3x1.5 is 4.5v. The 25500 would be 3.7v. My NiMH are 3.6v. I'm seeing 25500's that have 4000mAh. 3P would be 44 watt hour.

Could this works? Seems like a lot of staying power.

OK, got the tr-j1 finally in the water. The assault ring was hard to get off. First 2 dives 3 weeks ago...forgot the light in my dive bag, wasn't clipped to my BCD. This weekend did 4 dives average 20 meters. Light works fine. Day dive with vis 12 meters left light on Med so other divers could see me. When I turn it to Hig (Hi) on an overhang...it spooked all the fishes. Could spot lobsters deep in holes.

1 battery for 2 45-50 minutes dives no problem.

Mini review here too.

I ordered two Trustfire TR-J1 lights about 3-4 weeks ago, prior to a 12-day trip to Kauai. Just got back a few days ago.

Short story: these lights are great. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. In fact, I like them so much I might buy another one or two for the car or around the house. They're incredibly bright.

I removed the stupid "crown" from each without too much trouble. We did about 8 dives on Kauai with these lights in out BCD pockets. Did *not* do any night dives, but I'm confident the things would light up the ocean as much as I would ever want. Can't report on battery burn time. We used the lights to look under rocks, in holes, get the buddy's attention, etc., all on day dives. Viz in Kauai was OK, not great (20-30 feet). The lights came in handy. They're nice and compact, and fit easily into our "travel" BCD pockets. Although the rotary switch doesn't provide any feedback (it just rotates and the light goes from off to on/lo/led/hi/blink and back to off) it works fine under water.

I'm very happy with mine. No agenda other than sharing my experience, no personal interest in the companies or technologies.

For under fifty bucks US, it's a no brainer to me. I can not imagine spending money on an old technology light, big and bulky and/or dim. Those things are dinosaurs.

Great lights IMHO. Hope that's useful info for others here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom