Truth Aquatics in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FlyinV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey divers!

I am heading down to California for my first time on the Truth Aquatics boat.
What do I need to know?

Water temp -- Others in my group says I will be hot in my drysuit.
(I come from the Pacific Northwest) What should I bring? 5mm, drysuit, both?
I dove in San Diego in June on a day trip boat in my drysuit -- I wasn't too warm.

Bunk choices -- Any advice on the best bunks?
I am about 6'3 so a little tall.

How is the camera/battery recharging setup?

Any other advice? -- Been wanting to go dive here for a very long time!
I can't wait.

Thanks
Jeff

Hey Jeff,
Water temps are around 65-70 on the surface, a bit less under as we all can imagine. I use a 7mil suit witha 3mil vest/hood combo. light reef gloves, and 7mil boots. Some folks go hoodless, some gloveless, and some folks dive dry and swear but it year round. I get to hot topside in my drysuit down south in the summer.
Upper to middle single bunks may be ok, though if you have the option, get an upper double bunk, they have more headroom.
Lots of powerpoints to charge your batts. Its helpfull to bring a powerstrip, however.
Other advice is bring a sheet for the bunkmat, and a lightweight sleeping bag. they have one blanket and pillow per person.
You need to bring your own tank, if you have a 100cu.ft. or better, bring it. They fill to 3500psi. and have Nitrox for $6 a fill.
Hope this helps you out! Have a great trip!

Here is a link to the bouy report for Anacap Passage...

NDBC - Station 46217

What kind of viz can you expect in August? Can your bring doubles for this liveaboard?

The best I've had in August so far has been about 80-90, this was at Farnworth Bank off Catalina. I've been told it gets much better. Id say every trip I've had at Channel Islands has had from 30-90. I've had many trips south, though there are lots of other people, more experienced diving the islands than I, that would have a much better perspective. Perhaps they will chime in and give there perspectives.

Here is a link to their website lots of good info Truth Aquatics: The Best In Liveaboard Diving, Island Kayaking and Hiking there are bunk layouts for each boat. I would go with the dry suit may be a bit warm topside but the 5mm will be a little light I wear a 8/7/6 front zip with an attached hood and it's perfect for me. Water temp and viz can very quite a bit depending what island you are at. Typically you'll board the night before departure so you can get your gear setup and then go get dinner at the wharf. They have a store at the dock that is usually open when you are boarding so if you need to rent or buy any last minute stuff. Have fun Truth Aquadics runs top notch trips they know the islands well.

Temps depend on which islands the trip is going to. But plan on Santa Cruz and south of, 70-ish and warmer the further south. Northwards gets colder, even in summer.

Last August I dove with Truth at Santa Cruz and wore my dry suit, with board shorts and long underwear. It was a little warm on deck but nearly perfect in the 72 degree water.

They won't say no to doubles, but I haven't seen many on board, and over the years I've been out many times with Truth. Most common would probably be 100-120 singles.

As has been pointed out, water temps will vary greatly depending on where the boat goes. Down here off Catalina I just had a MINIMUM temperature of 77 F at 40 fsw... incredibly warm for this time of year. If you go to the northern islands, especially the western ones like San Miguel, you may want your dry suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom