trying to decide on a destination/trip thailand, indonesia and philippines are the fr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

natator

Reaction score
It is a big world out there and I have limited funds. I want to go somewhere that is remote, and be able to experience a culture and a philosophy other than tourism. Somewhere with shore diving, bungalows on the beach, kind locals, not a pina colada swilling grown over frat party. I have a fiance and really want a safe, romantic, inspiring, beautiful place(s) to go with her. We have a six week sebatical from the end of November to early January.

My first instinct was Koa Tao, but it seems like one big rave party. Indonesia is huge and I do not know how safe the Phillipines are. Any and all help and advice would be much appreciated asap.

There are plenty of places in Indonesia that you could go to. Bali probably won't attract that many frat parties.

I have to say that I LOVED diving in Boracay (Philippines) and I believe that it is safe as I know divers who still go there every year.

Help yourself to our geographic forums as well as our Search feature.

It'll help if you'll complete your Profile...

:bandit_2: don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

welcome to SB!!!!

You are safe in the Philippines. I've been here a year now and I've had no problems at all. I take public transport and have been to the shadiest places of Manila (though I wouldn't recommend the latter!). Like in any foreign city, you have to worry about the petty crime and be aware of your surroundings. But if you're wondering about terrorists, it's fine. Media likes to jump on those things.

Come visit our Philippine paradise divers forum for more info. You can find great info on cheap stays and dives. As you put it, there are so many place here that offer shore diving, bungalows on the beach, (ESPECIALLY) kind locals that have a good understanding of English, and not a pina colada swilling grown over frat party (well maybe Boracay or someplaces in PG, but there are secluded places at theses places as well.

And even better if you have a fiance cause there are lots of really "safe, romantic, inspiring, beautiful place(s) to go with her."

If you have any questions about the PIs, feel free to post them and we will try to answer them to the best of our abilities.

Safe diving!

Koh Tao is NOT one big rave party - especially from November to January. It'll be off-season and fairly quiet (it may pick up during Xmas). It may not be "traditional" and full of kind locals (the island is dominated by the dive industry and full of foreigners working in it) but it's small, cosy and you'll be spoiled for choice on who to dive with.

I Did the Kao Tao gig and loved it. It was dive dive dive and I liked the fact that not everyone could just hope on the bus and get there. Save some bucks and take the ferry over. Its real cheap and once there you can book dives alot cheaper than on the mainland. When I was there they were constructing some new bungalows up on the hill just out of town that had a view to die for. And I think they said they were only like 50.00 a night.Food was great. Just an all around good experience. Later Clampinator

Louie:
Koh Tao is NOT one big rave party - especially from November to January. It'll be off-season and fairly quiet (it may pick up during Xmas). It may not be "traditional" and full of kind locals (the island is dominated by the dive industry and full of foreigners working in it) but it's small, cosy and you'll be spoiled for choice on who to dive with.

As you rightly noted Ko Tao in November thru Jan is off -season and the diving is limited and not as good as those sites on the Andaman side.

For a quieter destination and good dives, i think Krabi, Ao Nang,
and perhaps Ko Lipe might be better options.

If one is looking for great shore diving, Sipadan/Mabul is hard to beat. Layang Layang is also pretty good but again Nov.-Jan is off season and the resort is closed during this period.

tzeyap
The thread was for "destination/trip thailand, indonesia and philippines" not Malaysia.

It's normal though, we tend to be left out like this. Malaysia only have tall buildings, not "safety, cultural or world's best dive sites" :)

I wonder what ppl in Brunei would think, or Singapore. Although Singapore tends to be popular though, for other things.

Just returned from Koh Tao with the better half and baby, we go there quite often. While there is a party scene you can certainly avoid it. As mentioned above its off season then so will be more quiet.

For somewhere out there I'd go for Sipadan or Bunaken, though these may not fit your budget. As mentioned above Malaysia is a good option with good diving at the Perhentians, Redang and Tioman available.

have a look at the site in my sig, plenty of info on dive sites throughout Asia there.

Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom