TSA Cozumel- Heads Up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbjclj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We returned last night after a month in Cozumel. (CZM-IAH-LAX) When I opened our bags, the waterproof bag with items over 3.5 oz and other miscellaneous over the counter meds, and my husband's DOPP kit were strewn all over the suitcase. A blue strap that identifies the bag was missing. I am certain it was COZ, because on the trip down TSA must have opened our bag and placed their notification inside that the bag was opened and nothing was disturbed.

We didn't have anything that could be confiscated, but it case you do be wary

Pretty much the same for me with one of my suitcases. The one that was not locked had been opened and everything "ruffled" up. When it got to Houston (IAH) on the carousel it was half open. Nothing appeared to be taken, but it never arrived to LAX. After waiting 45 minutes I filed a report and they somehow located it in an area where it had been locked up.
Glad you guys made it back ok. Really enjoyed our times together.

FWIW, I don't believe it was the TSA. Not if it happened in Cozumel, anyway.

It happens both directions, in the US and returning. Other countries security agencies have to meet TSA standards for flights to the US, but the details are their own - and sometimes they aren't up to date. As far as screwing with bags - common; chance of theft - low, but possible. Inventory, take photos before and after, and insure.

Just put a pair or two of your most skid marked undies on top on your case. That usually deters riffling...

Just put a pair or two of your most skid marked undies on top on your case. That usually deters riffling...
A few years ago I was bringing some frozen fish back from Cozumel in a cooler that I was using as luggage. Loose clothing is a pretty good insulator, so I packed the fish in the bottom of the cooler with all my dirty laundry (much of it underwear) on top. After we checked in we found out that the plane from Houston had been delayed, and the delay turned out to be about five hours. Our luggage sat out on a cart on the tarmac in the summer sun for the whole time.

When we finally got home I knew better to open that cooler up in the house, so I hauled it out into the yard and popped it open. The stench nearly knocked me down, and there was a TSA inspection slip inside. Some poor inspector probably felt like he didn't get paid enough that day. :D

Back
Top Bottom