TSA = Idiots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Returned home from a week-long dive trip to Puerto Rico today. While unpacking I found that TSA confiscated the battery for my canister light and left a note in my bag saying that Lithium Batteries are classified as HAZMAT and have been confiscated and disposed of. Only problem... my battery was NiMh, not lithium! The TSA website specifically states that NiMh batteries are OK to include in checked luggage. Website has a form for filing a claim... yeah, that should go smoothly.

UGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, god, i'm so sorry. please update when there's something to tell.

sorry to hear that

you can say "idiots" again, i just looked at the list of items allowed in carry-on vs checked bag and i seriously :rofl3:

Knitting and Crochet Needles Carry-On Yes
Corkscrews Carry-On Yes

i don't see where they classify lithium batteries as HAZMAT, they do however say that batteries should be in your carry-on not checked baggage
Effective January 1, 2008, you may not pack spare lithium batteries in your checked baggage.

You may pack spare lithium batteries in your carry-on baggage.

and seriously?

[h=4]Snow Globes[/h] TSA does not permit snow globes in carry-on baggage because they contain an undetermined amount of liquid. Snow globes are permitted in checked baggage.

Returned home from a week-long dive trip to Puerto Rico today. While unpacking I found that TSA confiscated the battery for my canister light and left a note in my bag saying that Lithium Batteries are classified as HAZMAT and have been confiscated and disposed of. Only problem... my battery was NiMh, not lithium! The TSA website specifically states that NiMh batteries are OK to include in checked luggage. Website has a form for filing a claim... yeah, that should go smoothly.

UGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, when you write to them, could you put in a PS and ask them about how my claims from 2010 are coming along? Appreciate it.

sorry to hear that

you can say "idiots" again, i just looked at the list of items allowed in carry-on vs checked bag and i seriously :rofl3:

Knitting and Crochet Needles Carry-On Yes
Corkscrews Carry-On Yes

i don't see where they classify lithium batteries as HAZMAT, they do however say that batteries should be in your carry-on not checked baggage

and seriously?

These snow globes are a serious matter. You have no idea how many people terrorists have killed with snow globes.

snow-globe.jpg

As if life in the 21st century were not bad enough already, we now have these malicious lying thieving stupid arrogant two digit IQ glorified supermarket baggers with an attitude and a badge. National security and flying safety my ass. I've found several notes from these TSA cretins in my luggage over the years, most recently two months ago when they figured out how to open my suitcase, but evidently were not clear on the closing part. Some missing items, a damaged zipper, but I've experienced worse from these jumped up third rate thugs. They break things . They steal things. They made idiotic errors and misapply the regulations. However bad a situation is, they can make it worse. It's difficult to look at them without feeling disgust. And because no federal agency ever disappears, they will be around forever. Bigger. More intrusive. More loathsome.

My favorite was when we had to fill out a "Pilfering Form" for missing items. Unfortunately, alcohol, jewelry and perfume are not covered. All three of which had been stolen. Apart from those items, there was nothing worth taking.

One time I traveled with these nail clippers that had no file - since they had already made it safe and all by breaking the file off on an earlier trip. Since there was no file to break off anymore, they broke off the top lever (the part that makes it like, work.) I should have continued to travel with them to see what they would do to it next.

The TSA allows knitting needles. On my last trip to Cozumel a lady in front of me had to throw her knitting needles away since the Mexican security officials would not allow them through which actually makes sense. She had already checked her luggage.

I think cork screws and knitting needles pose a much higher threat than something in your checked luggage. I had a bottle of fuel stabilizer kicked out of my checked luggage this morning. This is the same 8 oz. bottle that I have packed on repeated trips without the first issue.

Back
Top Bottom