TSA Locks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phaethon

Contributor
Reaction score
So, I thought I'd try those special combination padlocks on my luggage this trip - the ones that the TSA are supposed to have keys for and each lock has an indicator that signaks whenever soemone opens it with a TSA key. So, if the indicator shows it's been opened and there's no TSA calling card inside, foul play is suspected.

At Miami airport I locked my cases with the new locks at check-in and hauled them over to the TSA area for inspection. One of them was duely pulled for manual inspection, the agent identified me as the owner and asked for the combination. I said "Aren't you supposed to have a key for those locks?" and she replied "Yes but it's in the supervisor's office and it would take too long to get it." So, I had to shout the combination across the hall (they make you stand behind a barrier some 6m away, unlike Honolulu where you get to stand next to the inspection bench).

It's not easy holding a conversation across 6m of busy check-in hall but I got the impression that I could have left the case to it and they would have got the key eventually, but it was better that I was there. The alternative would have been to leave the locks un-locked and rely on the TSA to lock them properly after inspection. Of course they wouldn't do that to cases they did not inspect. Further, these particular locks do not hold closed well when not locked (i.e. the combination spun to something other than the opening one) and they are likely to spring open and fall off unless properly locked.

So, these locks will not really save you the wait while TSA inspects bags, may delay your bag if you are not there while they fetch the key (if they don't break the lock anyway) but will at least let you know if someone other than TSA has used a master key on them (or a TSA agent who forgot or ran out of inspection cards). Attached is an example of what you might find.

Only one real gripe with the TSA themselves. When the agent opened my case in plain view she dropped the top flap on my side, which has a net separator between the compartment in the top flap and the main compartment. She lifted a zippered wash bag out of the way and placed it on the netting of the top flap and located the object the x-ray had worries about (my set of three Reef Corel/Creature/Fish Identification books). When she came to replace the wash bag the zipper had tangled in the net. After a coiuple of minutes of watching her try to untangle it I said she could just pull it out, it was an old case and I wasn't that worried. What did bother me was that she tried to convince me that the zipper had been caught in the netting when she opened the case. This was not so: I had watched her lift the wash bag completely clear of the case before setting it down on the netting where the zipper became entangled. She repeated the claim a couple of times and I told her what I had seen but that it wasn't a problem. The lie was the problem, and if the damage had been significant it would have been a her word against mine and I doubt I would have got very far, being a dreadful foreign sort. As it was I suspect I was lucky to get away without a full body cavity search =8^O

I wonder though, in the oft-cited spirit of "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear", how they would have reacted to me videoing the search...? Anyone tried this? What's a BCS like?

K.

I bought some of the same locks - we'll be trying them out next week on a trip to Bonaire & Curacao. Our carryons with regs & dive computers raise some of the most interesting scrunched-up facial expressions at airports in the Midwest USA that I've ever seen. Haven't been subjected to the BCS yet, though one time we were told the wife's mask had tested positive for explosives and this took 45 minutes for them to hunt down a supervisor by radio, telephone, etc. to tell the agent "Test it again" after which it was OK'd. We'll see how the TSA lock fares with these folks soon.

I wonder how people who take nitroglycerine for angina even get near an airport..?

K.

Phaethon:
I wonder how people who take nitroglycerine for angina even get near an airport..?

K.

For starters, they probably have a prescription...And, the nitro probably comes in these itsy bitsy tablets rather than large objects with wires hanging off them. heh

:banana:

Use Zip Ties. They are alot cheaper than the locks and you can tell if you luggage has been searched. We use the bright colored ties sold at Home Depot I thing you get 100 of them for $2.99. Our TSA Locks were cut off in Miami last fall, I'm guessing because the screener was lazy. I wrote a letter to the TSA about it, and all I got was an form letter back with no explaination. This cost us $45.00 in locks, I can get a TON of zip ties for that price.

Chris

Phaethon:
I wonder though, in the oft-cited spirit of "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear", how they would have reacted to me videoing the search...? Anyone tried this? What's a BCS like?

K.

No, they won't even let you take still pics of anything involving security equipment, personnel, procedures, etc.

So, I thought I'd try those special combination padlocks on my luggage this trip - the ones that the TSA are supposed to have keys for and each lock has an indicator that signaks whenever soemone opens it with a TSA key. So, if the indicator shows it's been opened and there's no TSA calling card inside, foul play is suspected.

I make at least one trip out of country a month and I don't use locks on my luggage. Use zip ties, or cable ties, whatever you want to call them. Locks are expense and the TSA seems to delight in cutting them off. :palmtree: Bob

I recently returned from a week + trip to Belize. I had purchased some combo locks that were "approved" by TSA. When I recoverd my luggage in Belize City, there was a blue plastic TSA tag on my dive box lock. When I opened it up in my room, on Ambergris Caye, I found the typical TSA notice form inside of it. The locks were secure when I checked them in, so they must have opened them for inspection. Therefore, the system seems like it worked just as advertised. I did not have any problem on the return flight as they asked me to skip the inspection at the counter. I will probably continue to use the locks until I have some major problems. The manufacturer alsao states that if TSA breaks the locks, they will repplace them for free. :wink:

The manufacturer alsao states that if TSA breaks the locks, they will repplace them for free.

So you can put them back on your luggage and have the TSA cut them off again? Sounds like Groundhog Day to me. :colgate: :palmtree: Bob

Bob:
The manufacturer alsao states that if TSA breaks the locks, they will repplace them for free.

So you can put them back on your luggage and have the TSA cut them off again? Sounds like Groundhog Day to me. :colgate: :palmtree: Bob

It also sounds like one person saying a different person will be committed to do something...and the manuf. is motivated to tell you that to make a sale...

The process to get new locks might be burdensome...not that any other gov't process is...(!!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom