Trip Report Tubbataha Mar/Apr 2022 (Philippine Siren) Trip Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjmochi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
TLDR: 10/10 crew, 9/10 boat, 8/10 diving (10/10 corals, 6/10 big stuff)
Photos: Tubbataha (April 2022) (I hope you like sea fans?)

2 years past my original plan to go to Tubbataha in Feb 2020, I finally made it there on March 30, 2022. Original booking (on Seadoors) was cancelled and refunded, and I made a 2% deposit for a 13N Tubbataha & More crossing trip on the Philippine Siren for June 2023 during covid. Later I decided to move it up and split it out into a 6N Tubbataha trip (Apr) + a 10N Visayas trip (Aug) - for 30% and 40% off respectively saving >$2000 vs the original trip. The Tubbataha sale launched 2 days after I paid in full and while they did not refund the difference, Masters Liveaboards agreed to give it to me as credit towards a future trip (but annoying it cannot be used for discounted trips). And for those who were wondering, no credit was offered for the mishaps on the Galapagos trip, only got some generic comments about how they'll look into it.

Getting there and back was relatively painless from Singapore - only requiring a pre-departure antigen test both ways within 24 hours. You have to submit OneHealthPass after getting your negative test result, and present the QR code in Manila. The line for document check looked super long when I landed, but it’s quite organised and moves super fast. I thought I would be stuck there for hours at first but got through document check + immigration within 45minutes of landing.

I spent 1 night at Belmont Hotel which is a 5min taxi from the airport, before departing for Puerto Princesa ~11am and boarding ~1pm the next day. Had some minor mishaps including getting ripped off on the taxi ride over (paid 400php vs 100) and forgetting my lulu yoga mat, but overall not too bad. I flew w Cebu Pacific and didn’t need S-Pass or any other documents.

The Philippine Siren came highly recommended by several people on our last trip on the Galapagos Master, including the grumpiest member of the lot who kept making comparisons and saying the Philippine Siren was so much better with respect to food, service etc. Well he’s not wrong! This is probably the best liveaboard I’ve been on so far (out of Thailand (Gentle Giant), Maldives (Soleil 2), and Galapagos (Master)). We had a full boat with 16 guests and I think 12 crew, + 3 dive guides. Jona the cruise director did an amazing job and everything ran super smoothly. We also had a pretty diverse group from all over, who all got along quite well.

Cabins are large and pretty comfortable. There are no bunk beds and probably a good 2m between the two single beds. All cabins are on the lower deck, with the saloon, outdoor dining area, and dive deck on the main level, and a small sundeck on top. I was in cabin 4 which along with 3 had issues with the door not staying shut on the crossing over, which was excessively rocky, but otherwise was pretty good as it’s not too towards the front (worse for seasickness), nor towards the back (engine noise). Water pressure was a bit weak and temperature does fluctuate a bit, but we never ran out of hot water which was a plus. It was super rocky on the way over and back- my seasickness pills didn't kick in in time on the first day especially - and Siren is probably the worse of the lot in this regard due to the design.

The food was great and actually really healthy! Lots of fruits and vegetables, lots of variety (usually a soup, 3 vegetarian dishes, a couple of salads, 3 meat/seafood options, a pasta/ noodles/carbs, and dessert) - a good mix of local Filipino and western food. Nothing too spicy sadly but all quite flavourful. The chef took requests and there were plenty of drink options as well (both alcoholic and not, plus an actual proper cappuccino machine). They always had our preferred drink waiting once we come back from the dives - for me mango juice on the sunny days, hot chocolate on the rainy days, and a glass of wine after the last dive. Massages are offered on the sundeck (3 a day, sign up fast) for $30/hour which was great after 4 dives. The crew is always there to help with a smile, and everyone remembers you by name even if they’re not fluent in English. This was a solid 10/10 crew and service. Unfortunately this is cruise director Jona’s last trip after 5 or 6 years on the Siren, and they don’t know who will be the permanent replacement yet. I’ll be back in August for the Visayas trip and am curious to see if I'll feel any difference.

Dives are done from 2 tenders. We were a group of 15 divers (as 1 didn’t dive) and were split into 3 groups of 6, 4, and 5. Tender 1 comes back to pick up group 3 after group 1 were off. There were 3 dive guides and we rotated who we dived with and the order we went in every 6 dives (as there were 18 total). They grouped folks by experience, and they also split up the groups so each only had 1 big camera setup. I was in the group of 6 and it was pretty relaxed. No issues, everyone’s quite spread out - visibility was great (15-20m?) so I usually hung around the back of the group with line of sight on one other person. The dive guides were chill and let each of us do our own thing, some stayed deeper looking into the blue, others stayed shallow looking over the reef, and our group was pretty good on air (I was the worst so switched to a 15L tank) so we got full 60 min dives every time. One of the dive guides didn’t really check anything, the other two made sure no one got lost and would signal with the flashlight until they could see me (I could always still see the group, but they couldn’t see me). The crew really did everything - carried my tank to the dinghy and back, washed the wetsuits after every dive and put them back at your station before the next dive, and handled all the cameras with care. They even remembered to take off my lens cap before handing me the camera, and to put it back on first thing after taking it back up. Small things but very appreciated attentions to detail that we did not experience on our other liveaboards (Thailand one was closest).

All of the dive sites are wall dives. Water was 28 degrees most dives but did go down to 27 on a few. We didn’t see the main attraction of whale sharks or mantas - not sure if we were just unlucky or were too early in the season, but they did see a whale shark on the trip preceding ours so such is nature. It was still fantastic tho - the closest comparison I can make is probably to Sipadan. The corals were pristine and it was decently fishy (but not quite as fishy as the Maldives). There were huge barrel sponges and sea fans of every color everywhere, staghorn coral gardens for as far as you could see, lots of reef sharks (grey reefs and white tips mostly, lots of babies, and some interesting hunting behavior, but all much smaller than the ones we saw in Maldives and Galapagos), a few turtles (again much smaller vs in Galapagos), a lot of tuna, lobsters, the biggest Napoleon I’ve ever seen (1m+), big schools of trevallys, jacks, fusiliers. There’s decent macro also- we saw lots of pygmy seahorses and nudies, garden eels, a few crabs and shrimps, etc. - I regret not bringing my macro lens as the last dive (sunset dive) of the day were almost always looking for small stuff since it was too dark to see into the blue. We had very little to no current for most of our dives, so it was very easy, relaxed diving. I bought my long free diving fins thinking I would be fighting current and swimming after whale sharks but it was the opposite.

The wall does get repetitive after a while - every briefing was either left shoulder to the reef or right shoulder, but still good diving. Some of the fishlife did feel a bit more skittish - the morays and lobsters all retreated deep into their holes every time I came close, whereas in the Maldives they were all sticking out and came super close to the lens. We only saw one other boat in the area, one of the Discovery ones with 30+ divers, so dived different sites to actively avoid them. One of the days we were supposed to do 3 dives at Black Rock (supposed to be one of the best sites) but was only able to do 1 due to poor weather, and a few times they said we may be able to go to the Ranger Station / sand bar but all got cancelled for some reason. We spent 2 days diving around the North Atoll and 2 days around the South, and last day of 2 dives was spent around Jessie Beazley. I didn’t notice a real difference between the 3 atolls, all felt quite similar.

I quite enjoyed the dives but it didn’t wow me enough that I would immediately want to rebook again for next year. The only thing that really wowed me over and over again was the corals - really beautiful and stretched on forever. A bit disappointing for the big stuff tho (especially after Galapagos). It’s interesting contrasting this with my last trip- last trip the stuff underwater was great, Darwin was probably my top 1 or 2 dives, but the boat and the onboard experience was so lacking. This trip was the opposite - the crew, food, boat was great, but we missed out on the big stuff underwater. I came back from this one happier - but hard to say how much was due to being miserable from the cold last time.

This was my first trip by myself without my husband and I have to say I like it! I was a bit worried as we would be without internet the entire time but everything was fine and I had a blast. So if you're like me and like diving way more than your spouse, I highly recommend trying a solo trip rather than dragging them along (if mine were here he would've grumbled about not seeing whale sharks all day long).

I also got a new camera and downsized for this trip since I was down my husband's carry on allowance - changed from my Nikon D7500 w Tokina 10-17 to a Sony A7C w 28-60 and WWL-1 (for much smaller size and better versatility). It's incredible how going from DX DSLR to FF mirrorless shaved half the weight/bulk off the housing, love it. The easy current conditions was a good chance for me to adjust to the new camera and relearn how to use my strobes again after 2 years (embarrassingly shot at -6 on my Inons for a full day wondering why my strobes weren’t firing until I realized that was the lowest setting not the highest). Still had difficulty adjusting to lighting w the WWL-1 vs the Tokina but overall decently happy with the results and good enough for my photo dive log. So nice diving in good visibility and warm waters!

My next trip to the Philippines is at the end of the month for 10 days half Anilao half Puerto Galera. Can't wait!

Great report but may I seek some clarity please? I've not been to the Philippines but have been on 4 itineraries in Maldives. Yes, fish life amazing but I love corals which Maldives sadly lack for the most part.

You seem quite enthused about your upcoming trip to Philippines? Is this because of the location? Please tell me more?

The big stuffs are there but they do not hang around in the same area so......luck of the draw.
Diving season starts in mid Mar because of the weather.

Great feport but may I seek some clarity please? I've not been to the Philippines but have been on 4 itineraries in Maldives. Yes, fish life amazing but I love corals which Maldives sadly lack for the most part.

You seem quite enthused about your upcoming trip to Philippines? Is this because of the location? Please tell me more?
Yeah not much corals from what I can remember from my Maldives trip too. But I can distinctly remember a few standout dives (manta night dive, Alimanta night dive, fish tank etc) where the fish/life density was just super. Ironically it was someone on my Maldives liveaboard who told me to go to Tubbataha if you want to spend 20+ minutes in the water with whale sharks with no other boats around lol. Luck of the draw as Centrals says.

I did Anilao back in 2019 and loved it - so am excited to go back. It'll also be my first macro trip in over 2 years. I bought a lot of new toys during covid (+15 diopter, mini flash and snoot, etc) that I'm excited to finally play with. Nothing remarkable about the location other than the fact it's fast and easy from SG, I never left the resort the last time round.

I did Anilao back in 2019 and loved it - so am excited to go back. It'll also be my first macro trip in over 2 years. I bought a lot of new toys during covid (+15 diopter, mini flash and snoot, etc) that I'm excited to finally play with. Nothing remarkable about the location other than the fact it's fast and easy from SG, I never left the resort the last time round.
Unless you are going to Verde Island(highly recommended from PG because it is a lot closer than from Anilao).
The only time I left the resort in Anilao was on the departure day.

Unless you are going to Verde Island(highly recommended from PG because it is a lot closer than from Anilao).
The only time I left the resort in Anilao was on the departure day.

If I returned to PG I would pay the upgrade to do Verde for several days.

there were plenty of drink options as well (both alcoholic and not, plus an actual proper cappuccino machine).
Did they have Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi? Inquiring chubby minds want to know.
I’ll be back in August for the Visayas trip

My next trip to the Philippines is at the end of the month for 10 days half Anilao half Puerto Galera.

I did Anilao back in 2019 and loved it
It seems you are a Philippines fan, and repeat business in the face of strong competitor destinations is high praise indeed.

I've never been to that side of the world. In reading over online reports, trying to make sense of the options, I saw that Raja Ampat and Komodo seemed to get more attention, and the take-away I inferred from a comparison of the Philippines vs. Indonesia was the former was 'almost as good and substantially cheaper.' I wonder if that impression is accurate, and if so, how close is 'almost' and how much cheaper? The math coming from the U.S. vs. Singapore might differ a good deal. And yes, I get that the Philippines is a very large, diverse area with multiple (and differing) islands...as is true of Indonesia.

But putting aside political correctness, for those who might get one bucket list trip to that region in their lives, I gotta ask...anyone know how a live-aboard trip to Tubbataha stacks up against one to Raja Ampat?

P.S.: Nice report! I've been wanting to see more trip reports on Tubbataha live-aboards, and the detail that they had a 15-liter tank you could use is very nice. I like big tanks.

Did they have Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi? Inquiring chubby minds want to know.

It seems you are a Philippines fan, and repeat business in the face of strong competitor destinations is high praise indeed.

I've never been to that side of the world. In reading over online reports, trying to make sense of the options, I saw that Raja Ampat and Komodo seemed to get more attention, and the take-away I inferred from a comparison of the Philippines vs. Indonesia was the former was 'almost as good and substantially cheaper.' I wonder if that impression is accurate, and if so, how close is 'almost' and how much cheaper? The math coming from the U.S. vs. Singapore might differ a good deal. And yes, I get that the Philippines is a very large, diverse area with multiple (and differing) islands...as is true of Indonesia.

But putting aside political correctness, for those who might get one bucket list trip to that region in their lives, I gotta ask...anyone know how a live-aboard trip to Tubbataha stacks up against one to Raja Ampat?

P.S.: Nice report! I've been wanting to see more trip reports on Tubbataha live-aboards, and the detail that they had a 15-liter tank you could use is very nice. I like big tanks.
Yes they did! Both Coke Zero and coke lite available. Food was definitely one of the pluses, I eat pretty clean and there was enough choice and variety that I ate well without putting on any weight lol

I’m afraid I haven’t been to Komodo and Raja Ampat yet so can’t compare. I have both scheduled for later this year. I did hear the same and purposely sequenced it this way so it would hopefully be an increase in quality as I go.

It’s not really that much cheaper I think in the mid to high range bucket. The normal price for the Siren Tubbataha trip is almost 4k, discounted is 3k. My Komodo trip on Mermaid is 3.5k eur. Land based I think Tulemban is cheaper than Anilao. I’m a fan of the Philippines because of the ease of entry and tons of direct flights on SQ (all paid w points) plus no PCR only antigen required. I also stay away from domestic Indo flights other than Garuda so that makes travel time drag longer to a lot of places. Cebu Pacific I’ve found to be not bad having flown them a lot from HK previously.

If I returned to PG I would pay the upgrade to do Verde for several days.
There is no such thing as upgrade to go to Verde.
You either go as a group or charter your own vessel.
Some operators will put a notice outside their shop to announce the trip few days in advance. Anyone can join.
Asia Divers probably has the fast craft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom