Trip Report Tubbataha Mar/Apr 2022 (Philippine Siren) Trip Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never been to that side of the world. In reading over online reports, trying to make sense of the options, I saw that Raja Ampat and Komodo seemed to get more attention, and the take-away I inferred from a comparison of the Philippines vs. Indonesia was the former was 'almost as good and substantially cheaper.' I wonder if that impression is accurate, and if so, how close is 'almost' and how much cheaper? The math coming from the U.S. vs. Singapore might differ a good deal. And yes, I get that the Philippines is a very large, diverse area with multiple (and differing) islands...as is true of Indonesia.

But putting aside political correctness, for those who might get one bucket list trip to that region in their lives, I gotta ask...anyone know how a live-aboard trip to Tubbataha stacks up against one to Raja Ampat?

P.S.: Nice report! I've been wanting to see more trip reports on Tubbataha live-aboards, and the detail that they had a 15-liter tank you could use is very nice. I like big tanks.
1. Philippines is cheaper than Indonesia generally.
2. Political correctness? Both countries are suck big time.
3. A lot easy to travel in Philippines and English is widely understood. I can cover most of the diving area in the country starting from Manila/Cebu by not flying and with minimal of back-tracking, the only exception is Palawan. Indonesia is a lot bigger.
4. Food is awful in Philippines.
5. From my own experience Tubbataha is mainly wall dive while Komodo and R4 have more varieties.
6. Indonesia is better in scuba diving but Philippines is also very good.
7. Typhoon gives Philippines a BAD reputation and is the main stumbling block for a lot of potential visitors.
8. Bali has been on everyone's lips for generation.
9. People tend to look for the best and divers are no exception.

Political correctness? Both countries are suck big time.
Thanks for the insights! What I meant by political correctness was my effort to avoid offending any Philippines dive lovers, given that I haven't been there, in relaying 2nd hand info. on 'whose destination is better.' If you've ever seen a thread where someone besmirched the good name of the diving in Cozumel or Bonaire, well, I didn't want to do that here. Sometimes the impression gained from one source is at odds with that of someone else.
A lot easy to travel in Philippines and English is widely understood.
I hadn't thought of those issues, but excellent points. Some people move around in Indonesia, but when I've considered trips, it was generally with an eye toward 'fly in, get on a live-aboard, dive, fly back' style itineraries. If I ever make it to the Philippines, it'll probably be aiming for a 10-day land-based trip in Puerto Galera, which seems to be the 'starter island' there.

From what I understand, from the U.S., a flight to the Philippines, while very long, is significantly shorter than a flight to Indonesia aiming for Raja Ampat or Komodo.

English being widely understood is a big convenience for some us!

There is no such thing as upgrade to go to Verde.
You either go as a group or charter your own vessel.
Some operators will put a notice outside their shop to announce the trip few days in advance. Anyone can join.
Asia Divers probably has the fast craft.

Yes, that is what I meant. The Verde trip costs more than two local dives. When I last there I brought a group of 12 so we were able to make the trip.

Thanks for the insights! What I meant by political correctness was my effort to avoid offending any Philippines dive lovers, given that I haven't been there, in relaying 2nd hand info. on 'whose destination is better.' If you've ever seen a thread where someone besmirched the good name of the diving in Cozumel or Bonaire, well, I didn't want to do that here. Sometimes the impression gained from one source is at odds with that of someone else.

I hadn't thought of those issues, but excellent points. Some people move around in Indonesia, but when I've considered trips, it was generally with an eye toward 'fly in, get on a live-aboard, dive, fly back' style itineraries. If I ever make it to the Philippines, it'll probably be aiming for a 10-day land-based trip in Puerto Galera, which seems to be the 'starter island' there.

From what I understand, from the U.S., a flight to the Philippines, while very long, is significantly shorter than a flight to Indonesia aiming for Raja Ampat or Komodo.

This is a public forum so anything is possible.
Around 15hrs from LAX/SAF to Manila(non-stop by PAL).
eg. depart from SAF at 10:55pm(Sun) and arrive at Manila(04:20am Tue). Add another 4hrs for the private transfer to PG and you could be diving before noon(not recommended).
Given the early arrival it is easy to connect to other cities eg. Bohol(Alona Beach or Anda), Cebu(Malapascua, Moalboal), Dumaguete(Apo Island, Siquijor). Puerto Princesa(Tubbataha LoB), Tacloban(Southern Leyte).

Yes, that is what I meant. The Verde trip costs more than two local dives. When I last there I brought a group of 12 so we were able to make the trip.
1. It is relatively expensive but you have to travel far to get there.
2. Lunch(BBQ or sandwich) is included by some operators.
3. Third dive at "washing machine" on Verde Island by some operators as well.

Another interesting site:

I made a 2% deposit for a 13N Tubbataha & More crossing trip on the Philippine Siren for June 2023 during covid. Later I decided to move it up and split it out into a 6N Tubbataha trip (Apr) + a 10N Visayas trip (Aug)
Did you decide to split it up just because of the sale? I'm considering the crossing trip on the Siren for 2024 but I'm not sure if it's worth the high price. I live on the East Coast of the US so I was thinking it would be more convenient to just combine Tubbataha and Visayas in one trip. Now I see it's mostly sold out for 2024 so maybe this is a moot point!

How was sharing a room on the Siren? My husband doesn't dive and the single supplement would be a bit too steep!

Siren rooms are very large so sharing works pretty well. Was paired with a female roommate on the trip I did with Siren and we made it work without too much difficulty. (she was a very late addition to the trip and they asked both of us if we were OK with the arrangement in advance)

Having done both Indo and Philippines diving, I prefer Indo but the difference is not huge. The Philippines is much closer to North America. For me a 14 hour non stop flight vs a 20 to 30 hour one or two stop flight. I have only done the Philippines once but plan to go back. Have done Indo six times and am scheduled to return in November. Flying through Manila to get to Bali!

The diving season for Tubbataha is very short(mid Mar to mid June).
Some LoB boat do offer transition trip at the beginning and the end of the season with discount. One way plane ticket is required(small saving).
I have done a few trips to Tubbataha but always between end of Apr to mid May to avoid any surprise by nature. But it is really open water with basically no where to hide from the wind.

Did you decide to split it up just because of the sale? I'm considering the crossing trip on the Siren for 2024 but I'm not sure if it's worth the high price. I live on the East Coast of the US so I was thinking it would be more convenient to just combine Tubbataha and Visayas in one trip. Now I see it's mostly sold out for 2024 so maybe this is a moot point!

How was sharing a room on the Siren? My husband doesn't dive and the single supplement would be a bit too steep!
I split it up mostly because I wanted to dive NOW / asap vs waiting another full year lol. Crossing trip at the time was full for 2022. Initially booked for 2023 when I had no idea when Philippines would reopen. And at the time that I reboooked Indonesia wasn't open yet so Tubbataha was a no brainer. Visayas I added just because of the sale. Then Tubbataha went on sale too which was a bonus but I had already paid full price at that point.

I would be wary of the weather and crossing conditions on either end of the season, thought early April was a safe enough bet but if I were to go back I would do end of April or early May which is when they said has the flattest seas. Crossing trip would be pretty miserable if you get seasick easily.

My roommate and I got along well so all was good. I like to bee-line for the showers while she liked to suntan up on the deck after dives so it worked out well. It's a lot of space in the cabins so you never feel like you're on top of each other. I don't think I can handle bunks but this was totally fine.

English is an official language of the Philippines and is the language of education. After all is used to be a US colony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom