Question Tulum Hotel Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tug

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I’m going to be in Tulum for some guided cave diving later in January and was looking to see if anyone had hotel recommendations?

Taco recommendations are also very much welcome as well.

Thank you!

No idea on hotels (maybe your guide has suggestions?), but I have passed through Tulum a few times this week. Rest assured, there are taco stands, restaurants, etc., everywhere, and as far as my palate tells me, it's ALL good. You can't swing the proverbial dead cat in Mexico without hitting good Mexican food (or as it's known in Mexico, "food").

Oh I’m not worried about options, I just know that often times people have a favorite stand

This summer, I stayed a few nights at Underworld Tulum, and found the accommodations to be pretty solid for the price. As of a few months ago, they had 6 apartments, which could each be rented for $90 per night. The apartments have AC, contain a decent living room, kitchen with appliances, fridge, bedroom, and a shower with good water pressure and heat. There's also a little porch with a hammock, and a small shared pool area. There were the better part of a dozen dogs and cats bopping around, which were mostly friendly (they also operate a dog rescue onsite). Bikes can be borrowed to get to town.

I recommend giving Palma Central a try, half a mile from Underworld. It's basically a plaza with a bar, bench tables, and 5 or 10 food trucks. Nice place to go if different people in your group will want to eat different things. La Gordura was a great spot for tacos costras (tacos cooked with a seared cheese crust), and next door is El Grifo, a bar with a surprisingly good selection of craft beer.

Not sure if you have worked out your actual dives or not. But I will say that Lanny is an accomplished cave diver, and will provide guided cavern/cave dives at $200-$300 per day, depending on the specifics. I just did a day's worth of single-tank cavern dives with him, and had a great time. So I can't speak to the more advanced stuff, but Lanny is an instructor for full cave, multistage, CCR, and cave DPV. He's also just a nice guy who's fun to be around.

Oh I’m not worried about options, I just know that often times people have a favorite stand
You’ll find your favorite, too. They’re all good, so it comes down to individual taste. Try as many as you can. A good rule of thumb is that the stand with the most people lining up is a safe bet.

You’ll find your favorite, too. They’re all good, so it comes down to individual taste. Try as many as you can. A good rule of thumb is that the stand with the most people lining up is a safe bet.
This is correct.
Stay off the strip and frequent the back streets. If you see white people in line, keep driving. The locals know where to eat.
*except orange taco, they are on the strip and have been since before there was a strip. Always eat at orange taco, it is excellent and cheap. This isn't the name of the place, I have no idea what it is actually called. It is a building on the south end of town, east side of 307. It is Orange, and has tacos. If you call it that, people will know what you are referring to.

Second staying at Underworld. Lanny and Claire are wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom