Turberculosis patient can dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jackkyip

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all,

i was a Turberculosis patient pass few years ago, im wondering can i dive altough turberculoosis desease have been cured?

Thanks to reply.

Only your physician can give you a definitive answer; but the fact that you are cured is encouraging.

A likely scenario is that the scuba certification agency you choose will give you a form similar to the one at: http://www.wrstc.com/downloads/RSTCMedStatementGeneric.pdf
for you and your physician to complete. Reading it in advance can help you determine the likelihood of you being able to dive. Go to page 4 and read the section on Pulmonary.

best wishes.

Generally yes. Its important that you have an X-ray ~ 1 year old that is roughly normal. If its not normal, it requires a CT Scan to insure the TB did not reactivate, or there are no scars or areas of potential air trapping. In the majority of simple TB infections, or moreso simply PPD positive converters, the X-rays are normal.

I have friends that that had TB. And they have been on over 100 dives after it was cured. Its funny you ask this because after my friend was cured he never even questioned whether he could dive. I guess its not so smart on his end but after 100+ dives hes been fine. After reading this io'm going to bring this up to him.
And remember its also smart to ask a doctor, but you need to ask a doctor that knows about scuba diving effects on the body.
Hope that helps

The 'usual' cases of TB in western countries are PPD converters, and often have completely nothing wrong with them. However, one has to be more cautious is certain populations, and especially in the Asia- Pacific regions.

Its important they are in the non-infectious phase before diving because there is a theoretical chance of transmitting TB via the regulator mouthpiece. Also the TB bug loves oxygen, and the hyperbaric environment of diving will make it flourish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom