Turks and Caicos trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randykiw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

Just returned from 9 days in Turks & Caicos from June 19 - 27. First let me get the accommodation info out of the way then to the diving. We stayed at Royal West Indies on Grace Bay. Can't beat it for the price, the property was very well taken care of and the rooms where very clean. The basic rooms had a kitchenette with fridge, microwave and washer and dryer. They had bikes with baskets you could borrow to go to the grocery store about a mile up the road. Grace bay beach is beautiful and the water is amazingly calm and clear. The only thing they did not have was beach service, you had to go get your own drinks. Not a problem for me but the wife likes the beach service.

Now for the diving. In my short diving experience it was amazing. We dove with Caicos Adventures. The staff (Roger, Ema, Aca, Mathue, Sara) where very professional and safety was top notch. The boat a 44 foot cat was very roomy and well maintained. I can’t say enough about the entire operation. I would definitely dive with them again. Also they dive out at West Caicos daily or French key weather permitting, while other operations stay much closer to Provo where the reefs are not as established or pristine. On the first two days of diving I did my AOW with Roger the first day the finished up with Ema the second day. Both where very through instructors who did not take any short cuts.

I dove with them five days 4 out at West Caicos and 1 day at French key. The coral was abundant and full of life. Saw 5 -6 foot reef sharks on almost every dive and also saw my first hammer head (looked to be about a 7 footer). The reef sharks would swim by with in inches of you. The hammer head went directly under me about 20 feet when I was on my safety stop. We also saw many spotted eagle rays, some octopus. Also saw 4-5 lion fish on every dive.

Over all two thumps up for Caicos Adventures in Turks and Caicos.:D

Thnx for the report

Thanks for the report. Based on the many positive reviews, I've booked dives with Caicos Adventures at the end of July.

My first trip to Turks and Caicos so I'm anxious to get there!

Enjoy - I am still dreaming about the diving there. Post a trip report when you get back so I can re-live it again.

randykiw,

Thanks for the report, almost missed it posted under the "Bahamas". My son and I will be diving with Caicos Adventures 7/12-17. We are really looking forward to the trip, Turks & Caicos has been on the list for quite a while.

Good diving, Craig

Good to hear Randy,

Fifi is an interesting person to say the least. Matthew has his own little shop at Coral Gardens. Too bad you could not have done a shore night dive from there, very interesting little shore reef there. Asa is really nice, and can give you the scoop on the nightlife in Provo.

We go back in October and will stay at Ocean Club West.

Loved Provo...but sadly didn't see JoJo. My kid was 2 then so we stayed at Beaches (sesame street). My chief complaint with the diving from that resort is that the obviously were being sued by someone when we were there. I showed up with a rescue diver card and was told I had to do a pool check out 'dive' which was only done once a day and we already missed it for today and tomorrow was booked....36 hours later, I was allowed to dive, in the actual ocean. Now even after all of that nonsense, we were only taken to 60' max dives for the rest of the trip. The only exception was when the hurricaine roughed up the surf bad enough that we 'had to join' the Aggressor at the wall on our last day of diving. Great place to dive with another outfit. Next time the Aggressor. :)

Hate to hear that Frostfire. We stayed at Club Med once, and dove with them twice, and then dove off site with Caicos Adventures after that. Club Med was pretty much the same as Beaches. They did not have Nitrox, they watched you like a hawk, and limited the dives to 60 minutes max. Not much of an experience. They nicest thing about Caicos Adventures, is Fifi will come right over to Beaches and pick you up. Then you get to dive West Caicos and French Cay, which are certainly nicer than off Grace Bay.

The only time I ever went out with Club Med was at San Salvador (which they call Columus Isle) and that was actually a great experience, surprisingly.

Back
Top Bottom