Turks and Caicos trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichieRich1042

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so this summer I am planning a dive trip and will be going alone. Just wanted opinions before I finalized it. I'd be flying from NYC to Provo the last week of June (going because of my birthday). I am currently talking to Dive Provo, setting up a week with them of 5 days of diving (with Nitrox), and staying at either Port of Call or Sibonne Hotels (depending on the price).

So are there any updated reviews of the dive op or ones that don't seem so sketchy on trip advisor? Is there anything else to do down there besides diving (nightlife, hiking, etc.)? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

I dove with them a few years ago, and I stayed at what was then the Best Western (I think that this is now the Port of Call) that shares a parking lot with Dive Provo. I really enjoyed diving with them. You meet up in the parking lot and then get on a bus that takes you to the boat. Once on the boat, if it is your first day, you set up your gear. The boat rides to the dive sites can range from a few minutes (to Grace Bay) to almost an hour (to some of the other sites). When the dive day is over (assuming you will be diving with them the next day), take your mask & camera (if you have one) back to the hotel. Over night, they will rinse & dry your gear including your wetsuit.

As for the diving, TCI is known for its walls and most of the dive sites will be at a wall.

I really enjoyed diving with Dive Provo, and I recommend them.

I haven't dived with Dive Provo so I cannot comment on them, but I have stayed in the Port of Call and also the Royal West Indies Resort, I don't have any experience Sibonne Hotels. We've taken 2 liveaboard trips from Provo and also spent time topside on the island.

Port of Call was a nice, clean, air-conditioned, spacious hotel room with a mini-frig and they provided a continental breakfast daily. They are not on the beach but they are in a good area for walking to nearby restaurants and shops.

Royal West Indies was right on gorgeous Grace Bay and we had a one-bedroom apartment that included a full kitchen and ensuite laundry washer and dryer which was very convenient.

Provo is very pricey and eating out 3 times a day is expensive so you should consider food options in your budget. When we were at RWI we tended to prepare simple breakfast and lunch meals in the apartment and go out for dinner. At Port of Call we took advantage of the continental breakfast and used the mini-frig to prepare some sandwiches for lunch and went out for dinner.

Liquor was very expensive, you might check the duty-free allowances and bring a bottle of your favorite alcohol with you (purchased at the duty-free shop in your local airport before you leave the US but after you clear security.) The local Bambarra Rum was very good and a bargain.

We rented a car on Provo and that made it convenient to visit grocery stores, restaurants, and enjoy other venues and attractions on the island.

Have a great trip!

Ok so this summer I am planning a dive trip and will be going alone. Just wanted opinions before I finalized it. I'd be flying from NYC to Provo the last week of June (going because of my birthday). I am currently talking to Dive Provo, setting up a week with them of 5 days of diving (with Nitrox), and staying at either Port of Call or Sibonne Hotels (depending on the price).

So are there any updated reviews of the dive op or ones that don't seem so sketchy on trip advisor? Is there anything else to do down there besides diving (nightlife, hiking, etc.)? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
I was there last May and used Aqua TCI - great small outfit (husband and wife). They only take a max of 8 divers out and get out early to get to the best dive sites (we dove French Cay and West Caicos) before others. I did 7 dives with them over 3 days and they were fantastic. I really liked the smaller group experience as well.

Lots of great restaurants (definitely try Coco Bistro (folks raved about this one) as well as Kalooki's and Da Conch Shack (great for lunch) on the beach), Lots of watersports as well and Grace Bay Beach is the most beautiful beach I've seen so far - but not much in the way of hopping nightlife (which was fine with us). We stayed a the Sands at Grace Bay (2nd time we've stayed there) and really liked it - great location and grounds and they just finished a $4.5 million refresh of the rooms and restaurant (Hemingways - we enjoyed this restaurant too). They usually are running an every 4th nigh free promo too!

As others have said, Providenciales is not cheap, but it's definitely worth the trip - very relaxing and great diving!

Last edited:
I have dove with Dive Provo 2x and have stayed at Sibonne and Ports of Call. On Dive Provo there a good op to dive with especially if solo. They don't force buddy pairs. You are free of course to buddy up or if not to dive following the dive master. Both work well. Longer days out on the boat in Provo, especially if going to West Caicos or French Caye. You will be gone pretty much all day, which we enjoyed. As far as location, Ports of Call is convenient right next door to Dive Provo. It is not waterfront although they still may have waterfront access. The are right next to a main supermarket which was a plus. If you are diving everyday you wont' have all that much time to do much of anything else so it might not matter where you stay. Sibonne is a great location, right on the beach and my kind of place, small quiet, not a big in your face crowded resort. Dive Provo will shuttle you from Sibonne. It's a great place to hang out on the beach under a tiki hut and beer at the end of the day. If your looking for entertainment, other people etc. both places may not be for you. When we stayed at Ports of call, we dove all day, took a dip in the pool, swim on the beach, nap, dinner, bed. Not too exciting. Pretty much the same at Sibonne but the location right on the beach and beach vibe was more enjoyable. Depends in the end what your interests and preferences are.

I second AquaTCI. Bill and Stephanie are great. The 8 pack dive boat was perfect for me. I am a single diver and their buddy dive idea is nice and loose. I was on the boat for 3 days and we were the first boat at the sites and first boat back at the docks. You also don't have to wear a florescent yellow shirt when you dive with them... I seen another company making there divers look like construction works while diving. Shoot them an email, Stephanie does it all, paper work, briefing, pickups, baking (awesome banana bread for snacks) and diving. Bill is the captain and second DM for the day. I will be back on that boat for years to come.

Back
Top Bottom