Turks and Caicos - where to stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

judypots

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If you were going to Turks and Caicos and didn't want to do a liveaboard, or wanted to stay at a land based resort in addition to a liveaboard, where would you stay? Especially higher end places, but somewhere from where you can get to the best diving (obviously). :D We're not interested in night life, just a lovely, relaxing place to stay when not diving. Thanks.

The gf and I stayed at the royal west indies resort on Provo. We had a wonderful time and would definitely stay there again. Dive provo is walking distance, although both outfits we used (dive provo and flamingo divers) picked us up at the hotel. Besides the excellent diving, the dream day getaway with caicos adventures was the highlight of our trip.

One thing to keep in mind is that food prices there are high. The west indies resort had excellent prix fixe menus every night. There are also several little neat shops in the plazas around dive Provo.

The most common accommodations on Provo are condos located on Grace Bay, which is one of the most beautiful pink powder beaches anywhere. I would agree with koozemani, the Royal West Indies are one of the best of these condos; wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

The units I've stayed in have had nice accommodations with full kitchens and even a washer/dryer (pack light-take home clean clothes!). Many have a terrific ocean view (ask).

They have a very good restaurant on site, too convenient.

Food & beverage prices are indeed high, even in the large IGA market. We saved some money by using the fridge and filling it with breakfasts, snacks, and drinks from the IGA and the Wine Cellar. We didn't have to go out for every meal or drink, gave us the opportunity to relax on our balcony, or walk on the beach.

We've used Dive Provo on several trips and recommend them. They have packages that include a number different condos and hotels. They will pick you up every morning, keep & clean your gear, and set it up for the next day's dives. They maintain boats on both sides of the island and will take you without hesitation (or extra cost) to distant sites every day; first class operation.

Provo is real dive destination, that it has non-stop flights from the East Coast, makes it also one of the most accessible.

Talk about Iga being expensive! We did the same and we're glad we did. Can't wait to go back. Between dive ops, I preferred the smaller set up that flamingo offered.

I have been to the Turks and Caicos twice. I was at Salt Cay once. Salt Cay has good diving. It is a small out of the way island. The population is small and friendly. I think I met about 65% of the people who lived there in my one week. It was a pile of fun. At Salt Cay, one would go with Salt Cay Divers (a very good operation). The Tradewinds is the local motel and it is fine. There are about 4 restaurants on the island.

Grand Turk is far larger. I understand the diving is a bit better on Grand Turk. There are a number of places to stay.

The other place I have been is South Caicos. The diving there is great. But topside is problematic. On the island, almost anyone with get up and go has gotten up and gone. There is no idea of service. The dive operator then was very good.

Thanks all. We are seriously considering a liveaboard for this trip. I understand the boat rides to the dive sites, from Provo at least, are quite lengthy.

Beaches takes it hands down in this man's opinion!

PM me and I will give you all sorts of good info to get you diving there in style!

Hi,
Turks and Caicos offers a great range of accommodation and a lot depends on your budget. If money is no object, and all you want to do is relax and be pampered then Amayara, the Regent Palms and Grace Bay Club would be just for you. It also depends whether you would want to be walking distance from shops and restaurants , Grace Bay has the most on offer in that respect.
If you want to do as much diving then the all-inclusives of Beaches and Club Med could be good options for you too. Club Med is more lively and rustic while Beaches is a very big resort so offers plenty of distractions for the non-dive them and the rooms are better appointed.
If you need any further help check out some other turks and caicos hotels to choose from or give us a call.

Have a great trip.

Val

Back
Top Bottom